The Mentalist: Season Six Ratings

The Mentalist TV show ratings: cancel or renew?Last season, despite a move to Sunday nights and a big drop in the ratings, CBS renewed The Mentalist for a sixth season. Will the ratings continue to fall? Will CBS bring the show back for a seventh year? Stay tuned!

On The Mentalist, Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) continues to help the CBI solve cases while he seeks to bring his family’s killer to justice. Also starring in the show are Robin Tunney, Tim Kang, Owain Yeoman, Amanda Righetti, Emily Swallow, and Rockmond Dunbar.

The higher a show’s ratings (particularly the 18-49 demo), the better its chances for survival. New ratings data will be added as it becomes available — typically around 11:30am EST/8:30am PST. Refresh to see the latest.

5/10 update: The Mentalist has been renewed for a seventh (and likely final) season on CBS.

5/19 update: You can see the latest night’s ratings in context here.

Last year comparison: The fifth season of The Mentalist averaged a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.5 million total viewers.

Note: These are the final national numbers (unless noted with an “*”). These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you still like The Mentalist TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a seventh season?

Jinko November 25, 2013 at 2:31 am

Totally agree. That’s it for me.

T November 25, 2013 at 12:06 am

Awful rj finale. Please send the network and writers a message and stop watching.

Barbara November 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

The Mentalist is still an entertaining program. I would hate to see it end. It has managed to weather the move to Sunday evening, a losing time slot. I actually enjoy the episodes with no or little reference to Red John more. I am looking forward to that story line coming to an end and the beginning of a new one.

jack November 17, 2013 at 10:04 pm

It seems CBS has a thing about moving hit shows around. Its like they (CBS), gets a wild hair when one of there popular programs starts to grow roots in their current time slot. Growing roots is good. It means you have a base of consumers, that will in turn bring new consumers in with them! The way they move their hit shows around to fit in some new sitcom, or drama is crazy! It just doesn’t make since!
Their customer base is their bread and butter. Same thing in retail sales, fast food, etc.
People don’t want to chase their favorite clothing brand, foods, or programs around!
Espically these days! Ok, you don’t carry that brand anymore NEXT! ok, you moved the Mentalist again……Come on CBS! Get it together!
Leave what is working where it is! Put your new shows in group and promote them during rerun times. Then slid the new shows that worked into the old slots of the dead shows. Hello!!! Customer Base = GOOD RATINGS!

Sheri November 10, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Boring! Use to be good but Red John is getting a bit boring. Who cares. Just get it over with and move on

Robert Eastwpood November 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

What happened to the scheduled episode of The Mentalist on November 3, 2013. It was
replaced with a rerun.

admin November 5, 2013 at 6:56 am

I believe it’s because football ran over by an hour so in some parts of the country, the Mentalist didn’t run at all. Rather than have just some people see the new episode, they aired a rerun. I’m sure the episode will be the next one shown.

bill joyce November 1, 2013 at 3:37 am

I really like the show. Jane is very witty and very slick. He is interesting to watch.A relationship with Lisbon would not hurt. More great police work and a little

JERRY LIVINGSTON October 25, 2013 at 8:38 am

LET ME KNOW WHEN RED JOHN IS DONE SO I CAN START WATCHING AGAIN. I’M SICK AND TIRED OF RED JOHN. YOU HAVE TAKEN A GREAT SHOW AND RUINED IT. GET BACK TO WHERE IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING.

Sheri November 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm

If there was a like button for your comment I would hit it. Red John is a bore. Cancel this stupid show!

Dan Rivera October 22, 2013 at 3:08 am

“The Mentalist” was a good show, sometimes great… until the end of Season 3.

The finale to S3, when Jane meets and kills his nemesis, Red John, was the perfect ending to a superbly interesting TV arc. But then Bruno Heller, the creator of the show, decided he wanted to squeeze even more money out of this show, so he concocted a story that said Jane’s victim was NOT Red John, but somebody else. And The Mentalist then went on a spree of mildly interesting episodes that just flap around and go nowhere.

Sandy Rapp October 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

Love the show. Has gotten a bit morbid and evil more so then I would like. I would like to also see Red John caught and killed and Patrick to start a new life and a love interest ?Lisbon. Try less evil , but suspenseful episodes. There’s enough evil in the world!

David Moore October 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Yes, this show has gotten too dark, disturbing and violent. I stopped watching after Lorelei escaped and started torturing people. Jane is too ruthless and amoral for my taste. It had become REALLY stupid since Season 4 anyway.

Anthony Bassien-Capsa October 15, 2013 at 1:26 am

I saw on a Quebec website, that Season 6 of The Mentalist should mark the end of this drama, since creator and executive producer Bruno Heller said that Patrick Jane will finish with Red John!

Louise October 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I started watching The Mentalist in late 2012 and have bought all 5 seasons’ DVD’s. Yes, I want them to catch Red John. I would appreciate it if the series became less grim (more like the first and second seasons). While catching/killing Red John will end the long story arc, I hope the writers start another long arc as well as solving a murder each episode.

Simon Baker, Robin Tunney, and the rest of the cast have the versatility to handle a major reworking of the series (needed after Red John). I know relationships between the two main characters may spell doom for a series, but letting the Jane-Lisbon relationship mature would be okay if accompanied by major new changes and challenges for the characters. For example, what if Lisbon is promoted to the politically sensitive position of CBI director (the position held by Gale Bertram now) and Jane becomes involved with FBI and Homeland Security cases as well as CBI cases? Suddenly Lisbon faces new personal conflicts both within herself and with Jane (as she is now the person who is the public face of CBI). There could be considerable conflict and change even if Lisbon and Jane finally pursue a relationship or even marry and have a family. (Hey! In today’s world, whole shows are built around the problems of combining family with two challenging careers.)

Gary Turnbull October 10, 2013 at 8:10 pm

That’s great Louise, but Tunney always came across as a lesbo. I’m not sure she can pull off a romantic relationship with Baker if they ever moved further in that direction.

Jose Vega October 11, 2013 at 1:36 am

Hey Gary, why do you say that? If you refer to Lisbon, as a character, I havent seen anything suspicious about her. In fact, in season 5 finale episode the “psyquic” says that she was in bed thinking about Patrick, and she´s in love with him. And Lisbon didnt denied it.

Or do you refer to Tunney, in real life?

Gary Turnbull October 11, 2013 at 8:19 am

Jose,

I can’t say what she’s like in RL; I dont see her outside of the show. The only two shows I know of her being in are The Craft and The Mentalist. In The Craft she was a tough girl but decidedly feminine. In The Mentalist she gives off a butchier vibe, from her walk to her attitude. It may be the way she thinks a female detective would act, but if so then it’s waayyy over the top and would open a whole new can of worms on her acting skill. Personally, I think she acts that way subconsciously.

Jose Vega October 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Oh, I understand…

I agree with you!! I always thought she acted that way because “lisbon” is a strong and independent women. But your theory is very likely to be true.

Dont you find odd that “Lisbon” in the 5 seasons, never had a boyfriend or dates??

Even Jane had a date with the psychic woman. I think this is a mistake of the writers.

Angela October 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Jane has referred to a couple of Lisbon’s past relationships (with men) on the show. And somewhere in the first half of season 3, Lisbon had a one night stand with Mashburn.

So trust me, she’s definitely not a lesbian, and I’m pretty sure Robin Tunney would have no problem at all pulling off a romantic relationship with Jane, should the show decide to go down that road. There have been plenty of signs of feelings beyond friendship on her part, and she has acted those out wonderfully.

Babs October 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The Mentalist is the only network show that I watch and I think the reason its ratings fell was the move to Sunday night and being delayed by football. During the 2011/2012 season it was consistently among the top 10 or 15 rated shows listed in TV Guide and after the move is when the ratings fell. The only reason Patrick Jane came to the CBI was because of Red John. If not for what Red John did, he would not have a story to tell and no reason to begin solving crimes. I love The Mentalist and hope it goes way beyond Red John and is on for a seventh season.

Silc October 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I totally agree on the move. Many of the people I know who watch the Mentalist do not watch live because of the late time and the constant run over by sports. If somehow you could register this population the numbers would be better. It is amazing they do as well as they do being put on the Sunday night death time. I dislike how CBS has treated the Mentalist.

Ana October 1, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Gary, when Red John is dead they will come back to the old style of the Series, but with a new big saga. So they will refresh the show, because they will show a new Jane. It will be a kind of reboot, a kind of New Pilot, because they want to make a 7th Season. The episode was a bit worrying but I enjoyed it. I suppose people thought it was worrying and changed the channel, so they didn’t watch the last 10 minutes with that creepy end scene. On episode 6×02 is where we will start to watch the intense final hunt. So in summary, I don’t care about this ratings, I will care more about the ratings on the second episode, but not now.

Jose Vega October 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I completely agree. I think when Jane catch Red John, maybe at the end of season 6, Jane will begin a relationship with Lisbon, and a new life. I think he´s going to be more happy, and the show will have a little more comedy through his carisma.

This show is excellent.

Gary Turnbull October 1, 2013 at 9:07 am

I don’t think anyone watches this anymore. I still do, but it’s my “there’s nothing on” show on my tivo. Nothings on? I guess we can sit through “The Mentalist”.

It started out pretty good but lately it’s just been a bunch of red john chasing and relationship counseling. Get back to great policework and extra special perception skills. If I wanted to watch a bunch of relationships I’d watch a soap opera.