The Michael J Fox Show: “Cancelled” by NBC

michael j fox show canceledNBC has dropped The Michael J Fox Show from the Thursday night schedule.

Loosely mirroring Fox’s own journey, the series revolves around a beloved TV news anchor (Fox) who stepped away from his career to focus on his family and his health after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. The rest of the cast includes Betsy Brandt, Conor Romero, Juliette Goglia, Katie Finneran, Wendell Pierce, Ana Nogueira, and Jack Gore.

The network committed to producing 22 episodes when they gave the show a straight-to-series order. It was believed that they might just let them all air but the ratings have been terrible. The most recent episode garnered a 0.7 rating and just 2.2 million viewers.

All 22 episodes of The Michael J Fox Show have been shot but only 15 have aired thus far. It’s unclear if or when the remaining seven will see the light of day.

Winter Olympics coverage will fill Thursday nights until Hollywood Game Night steps into the 9pm timeslot starting February 27th.

NBC previously cancelled Sean Saves the World and Welcome to the Family, their other newbie sitcoms.

Update: NBC maintains the show hasn’t been cancelled (yet) and may air the remaining episodes.

What do you think? Did you like the series? Will you miss it? Why didn’t it work?

Sharon February 23, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I loved the show! Better than the one showing the same time on CBS!!

Martin February 22, 2014 at 7:48 am

I’m sorry, but Michael Fox was right when he decided a few years ago not to act anymore. It just doesnt’ work, even if you watch the show out of pity.

alexgo February 9, 2014 at 12:52 am
Christine February 7, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I am very, very upset that the show may be canceled!!! I thought it was a great show! Besides Michael, who no matter what, is great in everything he does. The cast was top notch and I think it was a very great thing that Michael shared through this show, some of what it is like in his life now. He did it with humor and tenderness. I am deeply disappointed that people did not take to this show.
My husband feels the same way I do. Thursday night will not be the same. We looked forward to sitting together and watching the show.

John February 6, 2014 at 5:14 pm

What was so funny about the show. Michael J Fox as a funny guy are done and over with. The show should have been canceled in September.

Tonya February 6, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I enjoyed the show. I am sorry to hear that it is canceled.

Georgia February 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Oops…sorry about the previous typos…wish this had spellcheck. Meant to say: Sorry to hear this news. I thought Michael J Fox’s sitcom was quite funny. And was SO grateful there wasn’t a laugh track and they didn’t depend on stupid potty humor. It was laugh out loud hilarious. The powers that be at the networks these days don’t seem to get it — they do not care about the viewers.

Georgia February 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear this news. I thought Miahcel J Fox’s sitcome was quite funny. And was SO grateful there wasn’t a laugh track didn’t have to depend on stupid potty humor. It was laugh out loud hilarious. The powers that be at the networks threse days don’t seem to get it — they do not care about the viewers.

JP February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Community, you’re next

monieet February 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm

This show should have been cancelled back in Sept. Politics kept it on the air this long. We had to suffer through this and Sean Saves the World when the shows worth watching are being cancelled in record time (Ironside). Thank You Netfix for making my TV good for something. Who is making these BAD network decisions!

Hank February 6, 2014 at 12:13 pm

The show stunk…but I do agree that a show really can’t find it’s footing anymore if it doesn’t get really decent ratings out of the gate. Anyone remember the poor ratings that M*A*S*H and Cheers had their first seasons?

Stephanie February 6, 2014 at 9:24 am

I enjoyed the show. It was better than the Robin Williams sitcom.

Rose February 6, 2014 at 7:49 am

Love Michael J. Fox, did NOT like the show. Too frenetic…. Next, please take off the Robin Williams nightmare.

Jennifer February 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Too frenetic? Really? Of all the words I could think of to describe this show, “frenetic” certainly isn’t one of them. It wasn’t wildly uncontrolled or over the top in any way that I could see. I found it to be a rather funny and refreshing comedy because it didn’t feel the need to rely on the same potty humor that most shows do these days. It was something the whole family could watch and enjoy. It was easy to follow. Nothing complicated or hectic about it. It was classic Michael J. Fox. He did in this show what he does best: entertain us and make us laugh.

Christine February 7, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Jennifer, I agree with you whole heartedly!! Thank you!!!

Bilal Ahmed February 6, 2014 at 1:21 am

Is it even worth watching new television, when nowadays its almost certain that it’s going to be cancelled? Those days were ratings didn’t matter and the show turning out to be a huge hit is over, and the stations are so eager to pull the plug on any television show, makes me even wonder, what’s the point of watching new shows anyways.
Reality useless television has taken over, and a new drama or sitcom don’t have a chance. Why even bother ? This show had shown potential but once again another new television I actually like is cancelled. What next Rake?
You gotta start bringing down those expectations, and atleast give shows a full season atleast !

Jennifer February 5, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I reckoned this was coming but am still sad to hear it as I enjoyed the show.