The Middle: Renewed for Sixth Season on ABC

The Middle season sixAw Heck! ABC has renewed The Middle sitcom for a sixth season.

The Middlefollows the Heck family from a small town in Indiana as they try their best to get ahead. They’re played by Patricia Heaton, Neil Flynn, Charlie McDermott, Eden Sher, and Atticus Shaffer.

Like most shows, The Middle is down year-to-year (by nearly 10% in the demo) but this series has remained a consistent performer for the network on Wednesdays at 8pm. That’s particularly important since ABC continues to struggle to find new comedy hits. Of this year’s crop, only The Goldbergs is a moderate success (it’s also been renewed).

What do you think? Are you glad that The Middle is returning for a sixth season or do you think the show should have been cancelled? How long should it run?

Canceled and renewed TV show

23 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. dana says

I started watching the middle a little over a year ago. I love it and it is so well directed along with all the actors make it perfect. I hope it keeps running new episodes because it’s a show that just about anyone can relate to. I love it!

2. Anonymous says

Great show that everyone can relate to. Very Funny and the cast does an excellent job. They should be nominated for their work – but probably won’t be because it lacks the sex and violence that drives highest ratings. Glad to hear it will be back for another season.

3. Intheknow says

I didn’t know this show was on, until a relative told me about it. I just started watching it this year (2015). And while I think it offers some great laughs and offbeat story lines, after a while, the characters began to annoy me, especially Sue Heck. She is generally too manic and over the top in her zealousness about EVERYTHING! Her positivity begins to wear thing after a while and she’s exhausting to watch. Her ENORMOUS smile and mouthful of ugly braces are also a turn-off; I think most kids wear invisible braces these days, or certainly not the mouthful of metal kind Sue Heck has. Axle is a bit that way (manic and over the top) but not as much as Sue; he seems the most real character among the kids. The youngest, Brick, is okay but his voice annoys me. And his whispering habit (where he whispers to himself from time to time) is just plain creepy! In addition, the aged aunts are totally creepy and seem so senile they ought to be locked up someplace for their own protection! They’re not particularly funny – just weird. Patricia Heaton was better in “Everybody Loves Raymond” where she showed some spunk; in TM she seems wishy-washy and appears to allow everyone to walk all over her. Her narration seems interferes and is distracting. Her husband Mike just seems bored, and rather boring. Again, some of the story line have been interesting and different than the usual, and the show has some laughs but I am not at al fond of the characters in general.

4. kevin says

The middle is great! It is comedy that the average American can relate to. No smut and no disgusting sexual references. It is the only show I record if I am not home at 8pm on Wednesdays.

• margo olson turner says

The Middle is the only network show I watch and I actually set it up to record. I love it so much that I bought the first five seasons! It should NEVER be cancelled… I agree with another commenter that it’s nice without sexual innuendos and embarrassing to watch scenes.

5. Kimberlydawn says

I think this show should never be cancelled! I LOVE this show! I love the fact everyone is not “perfect looking” and that it is not over-sexed like everything else these days – and the fact this show HAS NO LAUGH TRACK! I swear, since watching this sitcom I can NOT go back to sitcoms with laugh tracks. They seems so…FORCED! This is just about the only sitcom on these days that actually makes me LAUGH OUT LOUD! I’m not saying it’s perfect. Sometimes Axl is too hyper, Sue smiles too much, and Frankie just doesn’t seem to care! But hey – that’s really why it’s so great. Life isn’t perfect, and there are so many things to relate to in this show.