The Moment of Truth: FOX Losing Confidence in Lie Detector Show?

The Moment of TruthStrange as it may seem, FOX’s The Moment of Truth became the surprise hit of the 2007-08 midseason schedule. Though many audience members are made uncomfortable by the tabloid-like competition, the reality series consistently performed in the ratings. The American Idol lead-in was certainly a large contributing factor to the show’s viewership, Truth held onto more viewers than many of the network’s previous attempts.

The ratings for Truth started off at 23 million, ranking third for the week. A very impressive start but viewership declined quickly, reaching a low of 8.6 million. The ratings have naturally fallen lower in the Summer months but many believe that audiences are losing interest in the series.

Should Moment of Truth be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Truth was renewed for a second season and was set to return on September 4th with a two-hour episode. FOX has now pushed Truth’s return back to mid-season, replacing it with yet another game show, one called Hole in the Wall. The premise for Hole (hard as it may be to believe) is that contestants must quickly contort themselves to fit through strangely shaped holes in a moving wall.

With the series’ decline in ratings, it’s likely that Truth wouldn’t have performed very well on the competitive Thursday night schedule this Fall. FOX is likely hoping that viewers just need a break from the series and will start watching again when it returns in early 2009.

If the ratings don’t rise, with or without the advantage of an Idol lead-in, it’s likely that Truth won’t stick around very long and surely won’t be renewed for a third season. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Anonymous July 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm

This show is like a bad car wreck i cant look away.

rafael May 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

@i.n.r.l…….lmfao thats exactly the same wit,AI rejects are funny ass hell

I.N.R.I. December 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm

This was one of the best new shows FOX had if not the best. I usually only watch American Idol the first bit to see all the idiots that try out and suck as I find it funny as hell. But I never missed an episode of The Moment of Truth so American Idol didn’t help when it concerns my viewing of the show. I would take Truth over Idol anyday.

Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm

i agree w/mel. my mom h8z it but i <3 moment of truth & hope it comes back on!!

Mel May 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I lvoed this show, and would love to be on it one day!
It’s a good show that isn’t afraid to show hoe the core value of “truth” is abused and often forgotten in today’s society.
THe show makes people uncomfortable because the auidence squirms just as much as the person in the hotseat because the audience members feel guilty because they know how hard it is for the person in the hot seat to admit the truth, because they undrstand how impossible it would be for themselves.

People don’t like it because its

DChaha September 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm

This show only performed well because it followed AI. Clearly, summer or not, the show did not perform well when AI wasn’t on, or when it aired NEW episodes over the summer. It’s trash TV and people are over it!

Evelyn August 26, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I absolutely love this show. Please bring it back. I watch very little TV, but this is one show I don’t want to miss.

Delaware August 19, 2008 at 6:50 am

I love this show!

Bobby August 17, 2008 at 8:06 pm

This was a good show. But alot of people got in fights.

Rich August 7, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Of course it looses rating in the summer, ITS THE SUMMER!!! People are out and not watching much TV even if it is in Primetime. People are still out. Get a clue people!!!