The Neighbors: Cancelled, No Season Three for ABC Comedy

The Neighbors TV show cancel or renew?It’s time for the aliens to go home. ABC has cancelled The Neighbors after two seasons and 44 episodes.

A family sitcom, The Neighbors follows the Weaver clan as they try to live in a beautiful gated community that’s filled with alien visitors from the planet Zabvron. The ensemble castmembers are Jami Gertz, Lenny Venito, Simon Templeman, Toks Olagundoye, Tim Jo, Clara Mamet, Ian Patrick, Isabella Cramp, and Max Charles.

After a first season of mediocre ratings, the series could have been cancelled last May. However, ABC decided to stick with it and scheduled it on Friday nights. Expectations on Fridays are lower but The Neighbors’ ratings ended up being too low for a third season renewal.

Castmate Olagundoye tweeted the news, “Tweeps, I have known since last night, but was not able to share the news until it was announced publicly. #TheNeighbirs has been cancelled”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season? If you ran the network, would you have cancelled this show?

Canceled and renewed TV show

238 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Shauni sorrell says

This was by far one of my favorite TV shows. Nothing in a long time made me laugh like this. I can’t believe I won’t be seeing it anymore. How disappointing!

2. LeeLee says

Do they refuse to keep anything light, funny and happy on TV?! Thank god for The Middle…it’s the one shining beacon of peace. Even Modern Family is tangled up in the two daddy, Latina trophy wife, baby when you’re “too old”,
    ….all that crap!!! Too many “trendy scenarios”. I’m so upset The Neighbors is gone…RIP Larry Bird! I’ll miss you!!! PS and they canceled Suburgatory, too!!! I’m telling you light, airy, funny = Death, while it seems Death = guaranteed network support. I don’t want to solve anymore stupid mystery murders!!! Enough!!!

3. KA says

Great and now more crime series.. Murders with mentalists, authors, gruesome murders, bone solvers, teams, teams, teams, ghost solvers, teams, teams, teams… And of course all the reality waste that are cheap and gossipy. Gee thanks!

4. Theresa Short says

My family loved this show!! It had something for all of us, which is rare for TV these days. I am not only disappointed that the show was cancelled but with where the network seems to be going – trash TV.

5. mike says

I was frankly surprised that ABC put it on in the first place. This was the kind of quirky comedy that you usually find on the BBC or one of the cable channels. The three main American networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) usually only feature plain-vanilla comedies designed to offend the least number of people, rather than off-beat shows that have a smaller, but more loyal following. I don’t usually watch mainstream television for that reason, but I really enjoyed The Neighbors.

6. Anonymous says

My son has Autism there are few shows that he enjoys. This was his favorite show. I can’t believe they cancelled it

7. Ray says

With all the junk that remains it is sad to see a show that has great humor and a look at society with a fresh “outsider’s” observation get the proverbial “ax” but, then, we have gotten used to this pattern from the decision makers of the networks that they leave us the trivial, droll, insane, disgusting shows and take off the ones that have some semblance of talent and thoughtful content. Way to go!

8. Carol Wexler says

I loved that show and never missed an episode. I could cry. I especially loved the alien wife. So sad.

9. Danny says

Can’t believe this, it’s terrible news! This was one of my favorite TV shows after Two and a half men…
    Impossible that ratings could go so low, probably sad to the most of The Neighbors fans

10. Jeff says

How many situation comedies can you say you’ve seen EVERY episode? This was one. Outstanding creativity and just plain funny.

I believe that anyone who liked The Neighbors will also enjoy “Welcome to Sweden” on NBC. It is a similar situation where a “normal” American ends up being assaulted by the very humorous culture shock of life in Sweden. Having been there many times myself, it is dead on and really funny. It also airs in Sweden. Knowing how similar this is to The Neighbors, I’m afraid the American audience will not support it and it, too, will get cancelled.

It is very funny, though.