The Neighbors: Cancelled Quickly or a Big Hit?

Neighbors ABC TV show - cancelled quickly or big hit?ABC’s newest sitcom, The Neighbors, must have the strangest premise of the season. Will the gamble be rewarded by big ratings? Will the TV series be quickly cancelled or will it be the surprise hit of the season?

The Neighbors revolves around a family that moves into a quiet gated area in New Jersey; Hidden Hills. They later learn that the other residents are all aliens from another planet. Strangely enough, the family decides that there’s still a lot to like about their new community and neighbors.

The cast includes Lenny Venito, Jami Gertz, Clara Mamet, Max Charles, Isabella Cramp, Simon Templeman, Toks Olagundoye, Ian Patrick, and Tim Jo.

Before you give us your opinion of the show below, here are a few previews:

So, what do you think? Does The Neighbors look like a hit, a moderate success, or a candidate for quick cancellation? Will you tune in, DVR the show, or skip it altogether?

Canceled and renewed TV show

32 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jason says

I just watched the first three episodes on on-demand. I didn’t have high hopes for the series and I can safely say that didn’t change after viewing. But the show does do one things right: the alien leader character. He’s a jerk. On 3rd Rock you had an alien leader who could be a jerk but it usually stemmed from his inexperience on Earth. The leader on this show (and to a lesser extent his wife) are racist (technically species-ist), judgmental, sexist and elitist. That’s exactly how I picture how advanced humans would act around our modern society. They clearly don’t want to assimilate because they disdain us. It’s an interesting concept that I’m sure six seasons and a movie would fail to properly address because the day-to-day writers seem to be time-travelers from the 90’s who can’t get why we don’t still love Urkel.

2. IzzyRidge47 says

Utter rubbish, if I do say so myself. It takes a lot for me to complain about a TV series, but its the brats who head ABC that make my blood boil. They cancel a beautiful GCB for so nonsense that belongs on cartoon network. I give up on ABC. What else is on…

3. Bradley says

With 6 episodes already filmed, I will be VERY surprised if they actually air 3 of them. I wish I could get a refund for the time I wasted on the first episode.

4. Paul says

I liked it. It’s good to see some off-the-wall programming back on network TV. Very wacky, very entertaining. Looking forward to see where they take us, because I cannot predict. I hope it hangs in there.

5. dancinhomer says

There are some shows that I personally don’t care for (Modern Family) but I can see the appeal for others. I can’t imagine anyone finding any merit with this awful show.

6. Eric says

I tried to watch this show, but…. At 6 minutes in I was desperately searching for ANY channel with a test pattern, just to watch something more entertaining than “The Neighbors”.

7. Mike says

VERY lame. Silly premise. Another excuse to present (force upon us) an amalgam of people per somebody’s agenda. In other words… fu**ing ridiculous!!!!

8. Jeremy Rynek says

Seems like an interesting idea, but better on paper though. It may get a full season, but I don’t think it’ll survive to see season 2.

9. Jason says

thefutoncritic.com recently posted an article about how, historically, only 32% of new shows make it to a second season.

“…with 47 series (and counting) due to premiere during the 2012-2013 season, history shows that only 15 will likely make it to a second season.”

If anyone thinks this garbage show will make it, yer nuts.