The Neighbors: Should It Be Cancelled or Renewed?

The Neighbors TV show cancel or renew?Last summer, many people thought that The Neighbors sounded ridiculous and believed that it would be one of the first new shows to be cancelled. Well, shows like Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue have come and gone but The Neighbors lasted for a full season. But, will it be back for season two?

The Neighbors follows the Weaver family after they’ve moved into an idyllic gated community in New Jersey. The only problem is that the rest of the suburban residents are actually aliens from the planet Zabvron. They end up staying and the Weavers and the aliens face life’s challenges together and learn from one another along the way.

The sitcom’s cast includes Lenny Venito, Jami Gertz, Clara Mamet, Max Charles, Isabella Cramp, Simon Templeman, Toks Olagundoye, Ian Patrick, and Tim Jo.

Debuting on September 26th, The Neighbors drew a healthy 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.22 million total viewers. That was a very positive start but, in week two, the numbers dropped 30-40%. That’s an amazingly bad decline.

The ratings went up and down slightly over the course of the season but ultimately ended up trending downward. In mid-March, The Neighbors hit a series low with a meager 1.4 demo rating and just 4.76 million viewers.

With The Middle and Modern Family anchoring their Wednesday night comedy block, ABC has been searching for new ratings hits but they didn’t find one in The Neighbors.

Considering the ratings, it looks highly unlikely that ABC will bring the show back next year. Still, the network typically shows some extra faith in one or two struggling new shows each year so that could help.

What do you think? Do you think The Neighbors should be renewed for a second season? Were you initially skeptical about the series? Did you change your mind?

Canceled and renewed TV show

106 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. T89 says

Bring it back! It had a very rocky start, and the first few episodes weren’t that great. But it definitely picked up as it went on.

2. says

Love this show. Very creative with great writers. Just great fun. Tired of shows getting canceled before they can really develop. Lose the Middle …..so tired of hearing the wife complain all the time ….keep the neighbors.

3. Mike says

This is an excellent program. Alas it will likely be treated like ABC’s other brilliant shows, Don’t Trust The ***** in Apt. 23 and Happy Endings, and be cancelled. How are Modern Family and Suburgatory still on the air‽ They are great quality programs too. It seems that Americans just want trash. How something as tired as Two and a Half Men or as banal as Rules o Engagement can still be on the air just speaks to character of the viewing public. America is wraught with brain dead drones staring at their TVs for something utterly unchallenging. (Could explain why Zombies are so popular – people like to see “themselves” on TV.)

I love The Neighbors. I think it’s sweet and sincere and yearns to paint a picture of the world we should live in (where people don’t see race, everyday is exciting for the potential it brings, and lessons abound in the smallest details of our lives). Because of its quality writing, acting, directing, and vision it will be punished. And so we all shall be.

Keep The Neighbors on the schedule and bring back Don’t Trust the ***** in Apt. 23 and Happy Endings (not quite cancelled but pretty much cancelled). We must have some smart TV!

4. Yamari Arana says

I was skeptical but still curious after seeing previews. I fell in LOVE with The Neighbors! Their comedic commentary on society is intelligent and awesomely entertaining!!! This is one of the shows I watch faithfully.

5. MK says

This is one of the most creative show on TV. The writing is wonderful and the acting is fun to watch. Please keep this show on another season.

6. Maryann Conway says

Same, I thought it looked rediculous and after the 1st episode I loved it! It is funny and creative. I would hate to see it replaced by the new show about “living at home” it’s a nice try but not at all as funny ! I agree bring it back the aliens !!!!

7. Peter says

I loved the neighbours and I am looking forward to season 2. It’s hard to believe a show like this could face cancelation when there is so much other garbage on tv. Please renew!

8. says

I remember reading before the 2012 season began that this show was certain for early cancellation. So we were surprised to find ourselves looking forward to it every week. I have to agree with Jeff – The Neighbors is well cast and generally well written. We get lots of enjoyment watching this show and really hope that ABC gives it more time.

9. The-Bluelady says

This is a great and fun sitcom. Its a clean and entertaining new program. I certainly hope Neighbors continues. I look forward to this program each week.

10. Jeff says

I watched the pilot, and like most everyone else wondered: “how did this ever make it on the schedule.” And like most everyone else who actually gave it a chance, have become a huge fan. The casting is brilliant. The writing is the cleverest on network TV. It is one of two sitcoms I actively await and one of two sitcoms that actually makes me laugh out loud.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!

11. Marcial Luevano says

This is a terrific show that gives us lots of laughs. It’s incredible how you got just the right actors to play these characters. Please give it another chance when it’s not against some sports playoffs or some other programs that would give any established show fits.
    PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!