The Neighbors: Should It Be Cancelled or Renewed?

The Neighbors TV show cancel or renew?Last summer, many people thought that The Neighbors sounded ridiculous and believed that it would be one of the first new shows to be cancelled. Well, shows like Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue have come and gone but The Neighbors lasted for a full season. But, will it be back for season two?

The Neighbors follows the Weaver family after they’ve moved into an idyllic gated community in New Jersey. The only problem is that the rest of the suburban residents are actually aliens from the planet Zabvron. They end up staying and the Weavers and the aliens face life’s challenges together and learn from one another along the way.

The sitcom’s cast includes Lenny Venito, Jami Gertz, Clara Mamet, Max Charles, Isabella Cramp, Simon Templeman, Toks Olagundoye, Ian Patrick, and Tim Jo.

Debuting on September 26th, The Neighbors drew a healthy 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.22 million total viewers. That was a very positive start but, in week two, the numbers dropped 30-40%. That’s an amazingly bad decline.

The ratings went up and down slightly over the course of the season but ultimately ended up trending downward. In mid-March, The Neighbors hit a series low with a meager 1.4 demo rating and just 4.76 million viewers.

With The Middle and Modern Family anchoring their Wednesday night comedy block, ABC has been searching for new ratings hits but they didn’t find one in The Neighbors.

Considering the ratings, it looks highly unlikely that ABC will bring the show back next year. Still, the network typically shows some extra faith in one or two struggling new shows each year so that could help.

What do you think? Do you think The Neighbors should be renewed for a second season? Were you initially skeptical about the series? Did you change your mind?

Betty May 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Love this show! At least it’s not all the sexy stuff most of the sitcoms have come to now. The actors were great and funny which is what we need more of. Please bring it back!

Anonymous May 23, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Please don’t cancel!

Patrick May 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Any new construct needs time to develop. This show has a very good ensemble. Give them a chance and please also bring back Don’t trust the B in apt 23 (I know – too little too late).

Rebecca May 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Best most inovative, comedy, unique, light and loving, non violent, campy, inteligent thing I have ever seen on TV since the original Star Trek. I have not watched TV for years now because of the garbage quality of what is being produced today. This was a total delightful suprise for me. Great actors, great writers, great show. We need something uplifting in this world especially at this time. Keep it on it is wonderful.

Helen May 10, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I love the show!! So funny!! Great actors!!!

Serious about Comedy May 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

This is one of the funniest, wittiest comedies any network has come out with in years. Who doesn’t love a show about aliens? The only reason I watched The Middle this season was because I did not want to miss a minute of The Neighbors. DO NOT CANCEL!!

apainter May 9, 2013 at 12:42 am

please don’t cancel

apainter May 9, 2013 at 12:40 am

I love this show. It would be such a shame if they didn’t renew it. It’s something my whole family can watch. We missed an episode or two and watched them online together as a family. Isn’t family what ABC claims to cater to? If they cancel this show, it’ll be the 2nd one in a yr that I watched frequently that they cancel… I won’t watch anymore new shows on ABC till I know they are there for good. I’m so tired of getting into the characters of a show only to loose them forever!!!

Anonymous May 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I love the show!! Please do not cancel!!!

Anonymous May 5, 2013 at 11:48 pm

This show is light hearted and a WELCOME change from all the negative TV that is out there!!
My husband is broken hearted that it is not showing the reruns while we wait for it to return in the fall of 2013!!
For GOODNESS SAKE, put the show back on the AIR!!
We NEED MORE LAUGHS in the dark world of no talent reality shows & bad news both local and world news!
America longs for and NEEDS some fun and laughs!!
Get with it ABC!! Give America something to smile about!!!
The Neighbors GIVES US THAT!!

Darlene May 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Love the show. Please give another chance.

Kris May 4, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I love this show!! I definitely think ABC should give it another shot!!

Marie May 4, 2013 at 9:50 am

I love this show. It’s quirky and funny and sweet. Great characters and excellent actors. I want it back next season.

Anonymous May 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm

It’s hilarious

Rus May 3, 2013 at 6:35 am

Renew !!! Please, this is a great show.