The New Normal: Cancelled by NBC, No Season Two

New Normal cancelled no season twoThe tale of Bryan, David and their new family has come to a close. NBC has cancelled The New Normal after one season of 22 episodes.

The New Normal follows a successful gay couple (Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha) who decide that they want to start a family. They enlist a struggling single mom (Georgia King) to become their surrogate. While she helps them fufill their dream, the guys help her find her own. Others in the cast include Bebe Wood, NeNe Leakes, Jayson Blair, Ellen Barkin, John Stamos, and Michael Hitchcock.

Despite some early fuss from socially conservative groups, the sitcom debuted to a healthy 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.88 million total viewers. The second episode matched the demo and actually improved on its total viewership.

The numbers dwindled downward a bit after that but were still healthy enough to land The New Normal a full season pickup.

Unfortunately, the show’s ratings really started to go down once The Voice (which opened Tuesday nights) finished it’s fall cycle. The numbers ended up falling as low as a 0.7 rating in the demo with just 2.11 million viewers.

When The Voice returned, the numbers improved a bit but it was clear that not enough people were watching any longer. The smell of cancellation was in the air.

Fortunately for viewers, the cast and crew provided closure for the ongoing storylines in the season finale. Bryan and David were married, Goldie had their baby and started a successful new business, Rocky had a promotion and an adopted child, and Jane found a new outlook and successful job.

It’s too bad that other showrunners aren’t as considerate of their viewers in providing “just in case” closure for struggling series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that The New Normal has been cancelled? What would you have liked to have seen happen in season two?

Canceled and renewed TV show

34 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Hart says

Maybe it could find a home on TV Land, TBS, or- wouldn’t it be interesting if Bravo did some scripted programming and picked it up?

2. Marni says

Another show gone that my family enjoyed watching together. I love all the characters and found it very refreshing and the cast was fabulous. The creativity with this show was brilliant. This and Guys with Kids, are going to be very missed in my household.

3. Chel says

This is unfortunate, there aren’t that many shows on tv offering an alternate family. I enjoyed it. With the exception of Rocki (nothing a few more acting classes couldn’t fix) I guess there really isn’t any room for intelligent, family shows in prime time. They must all sing, dance or act disturbingly foolish , show entirely too much skin well only the women anyway.

4. Patrick says

I swear NBC has no freaking clue how to run a network. I loved The New Normal and Smash as well as Go On and Guys with Kids and they cancelled them all. Why should I dedicate any of my time in their shows if they arent going to give them even a chance? This is also the same network that took long running Law and Order and didnt even give it a finale!!!!

5. Noah says

0h my god. I watched this show, and I thought it was great. I’m so sad that I hear this news. I hope The new normal begin with season 2.

6. Craig says

This show wasn’t very funny. There is a reason so many of us started watching the show, and then moved on to other shows. That reason was that the show wasn’t funny or interesting.

7. Randy says

The new normal was a great show. Funny realistic . So I guess NBC thinks people really want to watch Dead people Walking and everyone in america singing..!! I am so sick of musical reality shows i could just puck.!!

• Craig says

This is an interesting comment, since a musical reality show was the only reason The New Normal lasted a season. And you can tell that people want to watch dead people walking and america singing from the much higher ratings than The New Normal got.

8. Lucas says

So so so sad …
    I hope maybe it will be renewed by another network, who knows… But I’m not sure about that.

9. Marilu Di Santo says

I’m so upset that this super funny, quirky
    very well written show is being cancelled.
    Such a strong, hilarious cast. I love
    everyone on this show.
    Can we protest? :(

10. Lisa says

I’m very sad because it was such a funny show… but I will say, it had such a perfect ending that nothing is left unfinished by it ending now.