The New Normal: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

New Normal series finaleTonight, The New Normal finishes its season on NBC with the marriage of Bryan and David, as well as the birth of their son via surrogate Goldie. Will the sitcom be cancelled or will it be back for a second season so viewers can see how this family continues to develop?

The New Normal, as you’ve probably heard, revolves around a pair of gay men (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who want to start a family. They hire a surrogate (Georgia King) who helps them fulfill their dream, while they help her realize her own. The sitcom also stars Ellen Barkin, NeNe Leakes, Bebe Wood, and Jayson Blair.

With strong lead-in support from The Voice, The New Normal debuted on September 10th to a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.88 million. The pilot had already been released online so that may have tempered television viewership for the debut.

The following night, NBC aired the second episode and the ratings held steady. Considering the state of the rest of NBC’s sitcoms, a 2.5 demo rating was very good.

Unfortunately, that didn’t last. The sitcom’s ratings declined over the next several weeks. And, once The Voice completed its fall season, New Normal’s numbers really collapsed. Two weeks ago, the series reached a new low — registering a meager 0.7 in the demo and just 2.11 million viewers.

Last week, thanks to the return of The Voice, New Normal’s ratings bounced up 86% to a 1.3 in the demo with 3.32 million. Though the percentage gain is impressive, the show’s ratings are still terrible — even by NBC standards.

Though NBC has few bright spots on its schedule, its clear that the peacock network has no ratings incentive to renew The New Normal for a second season. Thankfully, the cast and crew seem to have given the sitcom’s storylines some sense of closure in tonight’s finale.

What do you think? Would you like to see The New Normal return for a second season or should NBC cancel it to make way for something new?

Barbara April 18, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I am very disappointed that the New Normal will be cancelled. I felt the shows casts were exceptional and very much appreicated the delicate way in which sensitive issues were addressed such as Bryan’s confessional with his Priest and how in the end although he could not marry them as an ordained priest, he was willing to step outside that role and marry them. Also the story about David”s strong feelings about the positive role played by the Boy Scout in his youth. Yet when they would not let him be a scout leader he was disappointed but yet did not lose faith that someday that might change so he lovingly packed his scout badges away till another time when people would accept him and his son for what they can contribute..
I am a 73 year old women and have the same faith as that portrayed by Bryan. I also have a son who was born with physical birth defects which everyone can see and accept I believe if God creates people different on the outside then he aslo creates people different on the inside. I really love the last two episodes. The way Justin and Andrew’s
characters looked at their new son was touching and made me cry. This truly should be The New Normal.

kate April 18, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Absolutely RENEW

Joyce April 18, 2013 at 11:02 am

I think that is should be cancelled hate the show. Thank God its off.

Peyton April 18, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I want another season. The show is inspirational to lgbt community. It leaves strands of hope for gay men and lesbian women that they can marry the partner of their dreams and live successful lives.

Alexandra April 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

This series brought a refreshing new take on families of this generation. I was so very excited when it came out and loved if from the start. I am very disappointed at the cancellation.

Busy April 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I was excited when the show was announced. I couldn’t wait to watch. I only laste 1.5 epsiodes and turned it off…never to watch again. Its awful and deserves to be cancelled. And this is coming from a gay man.

Jenny April 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm

This is an cute and funny show with the perfect balance of heart-warming moments and quirky humor. The actors are amazing…very well cast. Justin Bartha, Ellen Barkin, John Stamos–(looking fit as ever). I always look forward to watching an new episode and truly hope it will be renewed.

Jennifer April 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

This show is hilarious & so real. I am very sad to hear it may not be renewed.

Matt April 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

Awesome show. Love it. I am soooo hoping it is on for another season!

Anonymous April 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Bring it back! We need more shows like this. Its amazing and exactly what america needs on TV right now!

Charisse April 13, 2013 at 7:57 am

Let me say, the show rocks!

Charisse April 13, 2013 at 7:54 am

I love the new normal, although i am not a gay female, I respect the continnum
of the show. My son is in high school and the New Normal have a younger following. He shared that in his school which is a all boy school there is a community, clique of gay students. They are out, and the rest of the student body is taught to respect, everyone not matter what their choices are. No bullying is tolerated by the administration and they have fallen into what society accepts as normal. Know that there is an growing audience that will soon become adult males, and will see the the New Normal is just that, being normal.

Jennifer April 13, 2013 at 1:07 am

I LOVE The New Normal! The characters are well developed and quirky. I enjoyed the season finale, and am glad we had some closure, but I would love to see what happens to these characters! Please give them another season!

Lucy Taylor April 12, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Please, please, please give it a chance! I love this show. What a fantastic group of characters! It was refreshing to see how each character evolved, let us see how they grow with the new baby. If you cancel, it will be a big mistake, huge!!!!

Melanie S April 10, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I ADORE The New Normal!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s quirky, hilarious, sweet, and all-around addictive.
I REALLY want it to come back for a second season! It’s wonderful! The casting was incredible, and I truly do NOT understand the series’ awful ratings! All that’s left to do now is hope, I suppose.

kendra joy bethune April 10, 2013 at 9:57 am

right when i was enjoying the real housewives of atlanta they take off next to normal u know that’s a teri mcmallian book next to normal i read it same chartcers as waiting to exhale but there in califorina not arizona like anglea basset charter they stay friends longer 5 years was the main topic in purple and pink letters at the lakeview libary popular book in oakland ,ca