The New Normal: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

New Normal series finaleTonight, The New Normal finishes its season on NBC with the marriage of Bryan and David, as well as the birth of their son via surrogate Goldie. Will the sitcom be cancelled or will it be back for a second season so viewers can see how this family continues to develop?

The New Normal, as you’ve probably heard, revolves around a pair of gay men (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who want to start a family. They hire a surrogate (Georgia King) who helps them fulfill their dream, while they help her realize her own. The sitcom also stars Ellen Barkin, NeNe Leakes, Bebe Wood, and Jayson Blair.

With strong lead-in support from The Voice, The New Normal debuted on September 10th to a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.88 million. The pilot had already been released online so that may have tempered television viewership for the debut.

The following night, NBC aired the second episode and the ratings held steady. Considering the state of the rest of NBC’s sitcoms, a 2.5 demo rating was very good.

Unfortunately, that didn’t last. The sitcom’s ratings declined over the next several weeks. And, once The Voice completed its fall season, New Normal’s numbers really collapsed. Two weeks ago, the series reached a new low — registering a meager 0.7 in the demo and just 2.11 million viewers.

Last week, thanks to the return of The Voice, New Normal’s ratings bounced up 86% to a 1.3 in the demo with 3.32 million. Though the percentage gain is impressive, the show’s ratings are still terrible — even by NBC standards.

Though NBC has few bright spots on its schedule, its clear that the peacock network has no ratings incentive to renew The New Normal for a second season. Thankfully, the cast and crew seem to have given the sitcom’s storylines some sense of closure in tonight’s finale.

What do you think? Would you like to see The New Normal return for a second season or should NBC cancel it to make way for something new?

Jim May 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm

The previews for this show last fall made it look pretty corny; then we watched it and realized how good it is. At the risk of comparisons, this show is much more clever and creative in its writing than Modern Family. I think NBC should give it another season (remember that Cheers was a ratings disaster its first season).

John P. May 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I love this show. It really deserve a second season. I suppose this is partically because I’m gay, but the writing and the cast are great. Show has heart too. Over the course of the season, the characters actually showed development/growth which is rare in sitcoms. And I agree with you about Modern Family… I can take it or leave it.

FERNANDEZ May 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW, I LOOK FORWARD TO WHATCHING IT EVERY WEEK. PLEASE KEEP IT ALIVE! BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION, IT’S SO FUNNY AND LOVING. I HOPE NBC RENEWS THE NEW NORMAL :)

Lulu May 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Don’t cancel it; my husband and I love this show! The actors do a great job and the writing is great!

Nanik May 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I Love it :-*.

Stella W May 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

I like Nene and Ellen Barkin they make the show interesting especially Nene. Her role needs to be expanded if they want a hit she is very funny. Over all the show needs some serious revamping or get Nene and Ellen in a show of their own….I for one would watch!

Spencer May 3, 2013 at 4:32 am

Aside from Nene Leakes terrible acting. This show has been great. We need this show to continue. It’s a one in a lifetime opportunity for people that can’t get out of their own way to have a first hand look at the joy and normality of homosexual lifestyles.

jamie May 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I loved the show when I could find it it did not seem to be on every week it was hard for me to find but when I did I loved it its about gays were shown the way we are and I wish it would show more prejudices that we deal with that is laws like we cant adopt in the stat of florida as well as if our partner go’s into the hospital and is not conches we have no wrights to visit them or if they die in the hospital ho lets say from Anastasia you can not sew in the state of flordia lawyers say its malpractice but by the laws In frorida you can not sew and you cant get anyone to help you a few more seasons and this will be some of there issues I hope they keep going.

Gene April 30, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Love this show. At first I wasn’t sure but it got better and better. I’m really curious to see how the characters will develop and how the story line will play out.

thomas April 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm

love this show.

StandneyLaw April 28, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Renew The New Normal,please!!!!!!!!

TYoung April 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I watched every single episode. This show is funny with some great characters. I love the progressive message and the strong message.

Jill April 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I’m a big fan of comedy and this show is the only “comedy” on TV that makes me laugh! I really hope this program doesn’t get cancelled. I also think the cast is extremely quirky and funny. If NBC doesn’t keep the show, then I hope another network does.

Rob April 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Let me say I have watched every episode. I really enjoy it’s quirky humor and it has its very touching moments. Love it!

Donna Harris April 27, 2013 at 1:43 am

No I would not like to see the series renewed. Because it is so corny from the script to the cast. Especially Nene Leakes, she cannot act. It is sad if you are an asshole on a reality show someone tries to put you on a show. Please stick with the real actors. Believe me I am not a hater like people tend to say if you do not like someone. Consider me a NAF(Not a Fan).

Vishal April 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Loved it! Funny, great cast, and it has a strong voice. We need a truly progressive show like this!