The Nine: ABC Pulls the Struggling Drama

The cast of The Nine on ABCIt seemed like only a matter of time before one of the networks would pull another one of its struggling serial dramas. Now, ABC’s The Nine has been yanked from the primetime schedule. Will it return?

The Nine was billed as a complex character drama series that unraveled the mystery of what transpired during a bank robbery turned 52-hour hostage situation in Los Angeles. Chronological flashbacks of what happened inside the bank opened each episode and was followed by how the harrowing experience impacted the series’ key nine characters in the present day. Their relationships to each other continued to intertwine, deepen and complicate their lives.

The Nine starred television veterans like Tim Daly, Kim Raver, Scott Wolf and Chi McBride. It debuted on Wednesday, October 4th, following the third season debut of Lost. It attracted strong ratings of 11.9 million viewers, giving ABC its strongest ratings in that timeslot in almost a year and handily beat NBC’s Kidnapped (only 5.1 million viewers). Unfortunately, The Nine has been losing viewers ever since. More specifically, it has been losing a significant number of audience members from its lead-in show. Lost has averaged 17.7 million viewers while less than half of that number (approximately 8.6 million people) stuck around to watch The Nine each week. Last week, without the benefit of the Lost lead-in, the number of Nine viewers shrank to only 4.1 million. It comes as no surprise that ABC has pulled The Nine after seven episodes.

Though ABC is not officially calling this a cancellation, the show has been pulled from the schedule effective immediately. A special edition of 20/20 will air in its place on Wednesday, November 29th and Primetime will take its place after that.

Will it return? Hard to say. No return date has been set which makes it a return unlikely, especially since serial dramas depend on audiences remembering events in previous episodes. However, ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson is said to be a big supporter of the show and is frustrated by its ratings problems – giving the show a better chance of returning.

ABC initially ordered 13 episodes of The Nine and then, on October 27th, ordered four additional scripts. It should be noted that The Nine has not received an order for a full season of 22 episodes (unlike other struggling shows), indicating an overall lack of faith by ABC. Its unclear how many episodes have been shot thus far or if production has been halted. A second season seems very unlikely and nearly impossible.

ABC does make many of its shows available online and via The NineiTunes so it is probable that the remaining episodes will be available online at some point in the future. TV Series Finale home page

Christin August 20, 2007 at 11:54 am

I was mad about them cancelling “Six Degrees” and now it’s this! The only shows I’ve actually enjoyed in years, beyond “Lost” & look what they do!! No wonder I never watch TV!

J. August 8, 2007 at 5:58 pm

I want it back. I don’t get to watch TV much. When I do I like to watch something good, like The Nine!!! It stays in my head and keeps me wondering, lets me forget about my day. Bring it back.

Anonymous August 4, 2007 at 4:34 pm

It’s back on TV and online at abc.com!!!
The episode “Turning Point” was worth waiting for.

TONI February 8, 2007 at 7:45 pm

I AM SOOO MAD THAT ABC DECIDED TO PREMATURELY PULL THIS SHOW! THIS IS GETTING OBNOXIOUS LATELY…I HAVE STARTED TO GO AROUND SAYING “IF I LIKE A NEW SHOW”IT WONT LAST. IT IS THE KISS OF DEATH IF I START WATCHING!! THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME FOR US VIEWERS TO INVEST IN SHOWS THAT SEEM TO VANISH INTO THIN AIR…NOT TO MENTION THE BIGGEST LETDOWN TOO..

Anonymous February 2, 2007 at 6:42 am

I loved this show. This is the second show that I was hooked on that BAM they cancel before you get any answers. I was really into FOX’s Reunion and they pulled that. I’m so disappointed!!!!

Disgruntled Fan February 1, 2007 at 6:49 am

It really does bother me that network television can make an apparant decision on a show in less than a few weeks. The Nine has a great plot and I waited impatiently for each week to see what happened in the bank. Tim Daly and remaining cast are extraordinary actors and I enjoyed watching the show. It drives me insane when I finally get in to the characters and what the show is all about that the network decides to cancel it leaving me in the lurch for what “could have been”. Just for a point of reference I started watching Lost only to get bored in the 4th episode and decided to watch something else – then I caught another episode and was hooked again – imagine if I wasn’t the only one and no one came back.

nat January 31, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I finally looked the nine up on the internet to see what happened. I thought this was a great show. I still have been looking for it to return every Wednesday night for the past 2 months. I believe it can make it>

jt January 16, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Wow are people missing out!! If people liked “Lost” when it first started they would certainly like this show. However, unlike “Lost” (which has completely lost me) this show (The Nine) has plenty of great believable stories left in it. I am disappointed that after one season ABC is ready to pull the plug. If they were trully looking for a great series this is it. One of those shows that keeps you coming back for more. It is well worth watching every week.

Carol January 15, 2007 at 1:35 am

I wish that people who greenlighted shows had enough conviction to really give the shows a chance. I really liked The Nine and would love it to have it back on the air.

Linda January 14, 2007 at 8:55 am

I enjoyed The Nine and would appreciate the remaining shows being aired as soon as possible to learn the conclusion – if there is one!

kd January 9, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Ugh! They showed it inconsistantly and wondered why it never caught on. This happed last year with the best show of that season called “Reunion” If the show is not being televised how can it get interest….it can’t.

TERESA January 8, 2007 at 1:35 pm

PLEASE BRING BACK THE NINE I LOVED IT

Maria January 5, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I am so upset that the show was yanked….GIVE IT A CHANCE. Please bring THE NINE back…it was just so good.