The O.C.: A Fourth and Final Season?

The OC cast perhaps headed for cancellationThe popular and steamy Orange County-based drama that stars Benjamin McKenzie, Rachel Bilson and Adam Brody begins its fourth season on November 2, 2006. Fans of the Fox’s The O.C.can expect to see a significant shift in the storylines now that the hot characters have left high school and one of them (Marissa played by Mischa Barton) has died.

Though the show has been a staple of Fox’s Thursday night schedule, the drama has been drawing far less interest and has garnered an average of a small 5.6 million viewers. The competition for viewers on that night is also expected to get far tougher. Between ABC’s popular Grey’s Anatomy, CBS juggernaut C.S.I., and NBC’s guilty-pleasure Deal or No Deal, it’s expected that The O.C. could have a really tough time holding onto its audience.

For its part, the network seems to be hedging its bets by only ordering 16 episodes for the fourth season. Because of a desire to run as few reruns of the drama as possible, the last episodes of the season could air by early 2007.

A Fox network exec has indicated that they’re keeping their options open. Fox has a number of other dramas in development to take The O.C.’s place on the schedule or is open to ordering additional episodes should the ratings warrant that. He also said that he believes creator Josh Schwartz and the members of the show’s creative team have lots more hot and steamy stories to tell.

Hopefully, the new stories will be enough to woo viewers away from the popular Thursday night competition. The fight for the show’s survival begins this fall. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

81 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jessica says

OMG! Today is the day the O.C. ends :( … I can’t beleive it’s acctually happening… this season has been interesting and despite Marissa’s death I LOVED it even more… :(

2. says

hey i knew that seth wasnt going to be gay i mean come on hes in love with summer duh.oh and the ratings of the O.C went done cuz marrisa died. and ryan is still hott. and im glad that taylor and ryan are going out. but i still think that ryan and summer makes a good couple.

3. christina says

hey all u ugly gurls i got something to say to u all ok ok here it goes ryan off the O.C is mine so dont even think about him k cuz hes mine u ugly gurls

4. Kitty says

seth is so not gay and mirissa is dead which suxs. i cant believe its finishing its not rite. i reckon it should keep going. I LOVE THE OC!!!! there was an earth quake its so sad someones gana die…. Noooooo!!!

5. Samantha says

I think OC should just change Days. Even if you have to put it on Sunday or something. I love OC. I have watch EVER episode since the Pre-Season thingy during the summer. I have since gotten 8 ppl hooked on it. I watch Greys as well but I record Greys and Watch OC…Just change days or times and Fans will continue to support OC.

6. Dominique says

Oh my god..I love the O.C..I cant believe that its getting cancelled..I watch it every Thursday night..and about Seth being gay..I dont think he is..and everyone..I dont think Marissa is coming back..she died..i’m sorry everyone..But I really wish the O.C wouldnt be cancelled..the just said that Kirsten is pregant now come on..you just cant finish off a show like that..anyways..It sucks that there is only 4 episodes left..anyways later

7. kool kool says

in america or some where is the show different caz somebody posted adam brody who plays seth green is cute but here his carecter name is seth cohen

8. hilary gold says

hey do u guys no if there’s gonna be a forth season on dvd also near the top there a guy who says he’s a big o.c fan but yet he spely marissa name wrong!!
    i mean hello!!! get it wright!!

9. Brant Walls says

I’m a huge fan of the OC and would hate to see it go. However, unlike all you other SAPs, I was not sad to see Marissa go. She was annoying and carried a ton of baggage. She almost ruined Ryan and he’s better off. Besides Autumn Reeser is so much hotter! Great fantasy sequences!!

10. says

The o.c is the best show i think that they should go on with it and not end it for good…. so many people will be hurt if its gone 4ever… k thnxx

11. Kassy says

I cant believe Seth’s going GAY!…Summer and Seth were such a good couple! and since marissa died they should like somehow find out how to bring her back…even though that sounds kinda demented! but especially from new years eve when she said “i love you” man that was soo cute and event though she died i think that they shoiuld like cut that episode and all the ones after that where they talk about marissa dying and not make her die cause this is my favorite show ever and if marissa dies and seth goes gay then im sure not as many people will watch it especially if this is the last season! they should have like 11 seasons like friends does…if friends can come up with ELEVEN seasons im sure the OC can to cause they may have a lotta drama but thats good…thats one of the reasons i started to watch it…and i think that even though everyone knows that marissas gonna die i think that they should cut the episode and make a bunch of new ones…