The O.C.: A Fourth and Final Season?

The OC cast perhaps headed for cancellationThe popular and steamy Orange County-based drama that stars Benjamin McKenzie, Rachel Bilson and Adam Brody begins its fourth season on November 2, 2006. Fans of the Fox’s The O.C.can expect to see a significant shift in the storylines now that the hot characters have left high school and one of them (Marissa played by Mischa Barton) has died.

Though the show has been a staple of Fox’s Thursday night schedule, the drama has been drawing far less interest and has garnered an average of a small 5.6 million viewers. The competition for viewers on that night is also expected to get far tougher. Between ABC’s popular Grey’s Anatomy, CBS juggernaut C.S.I., and NBC’s guilty-pleasure Deal or No Deal, it’s expected that The O.C. could have a really tough time holding onto its audience.

For its part, the network seems to be hedging its bets by only ordering 16 episodes for the fourth season. Because of a desire to run as few reruns of the drama as possible, the last episodes of the season could air by early 2007.

A Fox network exec has indicated that they’re keeping their options open. Fox has a number of other dramas in development to take The O.C.’s place on the schedule or is open to ordering additional episodes should the ratings warrant that. He also said that he believes creator Josh Schwartz and the members of the show’s creative team have lots more hot and steamy stories to tell.

Hopefully, the new stories will be enough to woo viewers away from the popular Thursday night competition. The fight for the show’s survival begins this fall. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

81 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sara says

I LOVE THE OC!!! I am so addicted it’s not even funny…it’s been really different since Marissa died..and at first i was really sad, but it’s still awesome <33

2. Ana Lopes says

Hi, people!
    I also love The O.C.! It’s so great.. It’s a shame the show to end, but we have to “Move on” like the song says.. You know, I advice you to watch House, M.D. witch is also really good. Seriously, I find it way better than Grey’s Anatomy.. But, well.. We’re all different..
    Best wishes for all of The O.C. lovers and to the creators, actors, actresses, and stuff.. **
    Ana*

3. kayla says

The OC can not get cancelled there has to be more seasons. This is my favorite sohw ever you have to move it to another night. Every one loves the OC more than greys anatomy or any other show you have. So you better have more seasons that 4. O AND SETH IS NOT GAY HIM AND SUMMER ARE GOING OUT.

4. Jeremy Yeo says

I really hope that The OC will go on to the 5th and 6th or even more seasons. I totally love that show and when I was at London’s Heathrow airport, I bought season 4 and finished it in less than 2 weeks. I’m from Singapore btw and it’s not on TV or in the stores yet! OC please carry on!
    Peace!

5. rebekah says

hey hey hey i vant belive this the oc has 2 come back if they can have friends on this long oc can an will make send my love 2 rayn hes a hottie and seth is so mine back off yall he is so nott gay !!!!! he dated summer and they made the perfect couple !!! i mean that !!! so did rayn an merissa later days !!!

6. connie says

OMG bloody good!! imean y is this the last OC ,,sum1 tell me !! ifink ryan shud av got it on with julie, seth shud marry summer,kirstin shuda of had n affair with jimmy and sandy shuda got with rebecca blatent!!! well dats ny say!!bt hey peps jus buy the DVD’S of me on e-bay yea ……..

7. Mauro says

The last show of season 4 was very nice.. They just wanted to finish the season as soon as possible because they skipped 9 months or so.. But the very end was very emotional. Ryan has a very good job, something in construction.. architect I think. When he walks outside he looks at a kid sitting on a wall looking said.. he gets a flashback cuz the kid looks like ryan.. then he says: Hey kid, you need some help? Then the final episode ends!

8. shifu says

oh ma god..this is turnin into a mess i guess…marissa is dead n seth???cant even imagine…i love the oc..please don make it boring and dull…(a maldivian obsessed about the oc}n by the way i love volchok even though he is a negative character;)

9. guess... says

OMG THE OC IS OVER I WAS CRYING IT WAS SO SAD. IT FELT LIKE FOR REAL EVERY ONE WAS LEAVING EACH OTHER. RYAN’S FLASHBACKS, MARISSA’S LOCKET, SETH AND SUMMER–MARRIED! IT WAS AMAZING BUT I DIDN’T WANT IT TO END. UGH. IM SO SAD. I WISH THERE WAS ANOTHER SEASON. IM STILL CRYING. I DONT WANT IT TO BE OVER. DAYUMM. UGH. PISSING ME OFF. I LOVE YOU RYAN AND SETH AND SUMMER AND MARISSA IT WILL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME. ADAM MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER I LOVE YOU I HOPE YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL AFTER THIS! MWAAA.

10. Devan says

I just watched the final show of the fourth season, and OMG!!! First, Summer and Seith got married!! KiKi finally had her baby and Julie graduted from college? AHH! it was the BEST episode i think I ever saw from the OC! I hope there is a fifth season, because if not, i will truly die!!

11. Jessica says

OMG! Today is the day the O.C. ends :( … I can’t beleive it’s acctually happening… this season has been interesting and despite Marissa’s death I LOVED it even more… :(

12. Anonymous says

i cannot believe i jus watched the last episode of the oc…i feel like i jus got dumped by 10 hot sexi chicks…i feel terrible….im gonna miss that show…i do hope they have other good ones though.