The Oprah Winfrey Show: Talk Show Ending after 25 Years

OprahThere’s a big shake-up in daytime television on the way. After 25 years on the air, The Oprah Winfrey Show is coming to an end.

While viewers may be a bit stunned by the news, it doesn’t come as a big surprise to the local TV stations who air the show in first-run syndication. Though ratings have fallen in recent years, hitting an all-time low last June, it remains the most popular show in daytime and helps attract viewers to local newscasts. This season’s episodes have been averaging a 3.0 rating in the key demo and about 7.3 million viewers daily.

Winfrey’s decision to end her daytime talk show is sure to shake up the local affiliate markets. Those who currently carry the series will have to figure out how to best fill the time. For rival stations, they’ll have a key opportunity to lure viewers who’d previously been devoted to watching the Winfrey Show.

On today’s show, Winfrey said, “Why walk away and make the next season the last? Here is the real reason — I love this show. This show has been my life. And I love it enough to know when it’s time to say ‘goodbye.’ Twenty-five years feels right in my bones and it feels right in my spirit. It’s the perfect number, the exact right time. So I hope you will take this 18-month ride with me right through to the finale show.”

The last episode will air on September 9, 2011.

The decision to end the show doesn’t mean that Winfrey is leaving the small screen entirely however. In partnership with Discovery Communications, she’s starting her own cable channel; OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. That’s expected to launch at the end of 2010 and to be available to more than 80 million households.

Though nothing’s been announced yet, it’s expected that Winfrey will be an on-screen presence on OWN in some way. Speculation ranges from a daily talk show to occasional specials.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see the show end? Would you make the effort to watch another Winfrey show on a new cable station?

Suzette October 4, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hi everyone/haters & lovers:

I am a great lover of Oprah Show, i do hope OWN will be shown here in Jamaica,
enjoy your life to the fullest Oprah, you earn it, enjoy it.

God’s richest blessings.

Bye for now.

joel lyon September 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Hi , Opra
I was a 43 year old male that had lost everything in my life except my grand children, cameron and cyrie . My son lost his carrire for I was suverly injoured in a hospital which had taken my life as I new it . I cant work and I am wheel chair bound after working 35 years in carpentry. I was in a coma for 4 mounths and unfortenitly I cant walk or hardly take care of my self . I have been through alot of distress the last 6 years and cant find any help . I Lost everything that I have worked for and now I cant get any help from doctors to get back on my feet because of my NY state insurance . Can you take a moment to hear my storie and derect me to some one that may be able to help me get some of my life back?

Patricia Jones September 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Oprah I’ve watch your show all my life and you are a God sent congraulation on your 25years and I hope you have a many more its a blessing just to know you,I just want you to know you will be sincerely missed. Love You,Ms.Patricia Jones

Gloria J. White August 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Orpah, can you see if you can get Bonnie Hunt to sign up a show under your broadcast, as she seemed to us, my husband a Director of Pharmacist, and Singer and Actor in his own way, and if you like to learn something my Uncle Robert McCullough is is dead was married to Margaret Youngblood from Alton, Ill, and her sister was a New York Model, but last year in which after Bob and Peggy divorce,
I was put into a foster home life and got shifted around, but her Sister
Gloria Youngblood I learned last year was also a actor, and in thru movies of one was in Adventures of Marco
Polo, Trade Winds of 1938, and in Goldwyn Follies, and these can be verified
by Bob Brother Richard McCullough, Pomona, New Jersey,
and Cindy VanMeter who is a well know Realtor out of Maryland, and her Dad Married Gloria in the 50’s and he was a twa pilot, and cindy has turned out great, me am a artist by my home training of learning in dissembling them and putting them back together but Gloria helped by encouraging not to trace but take lines in proporation, by visionual studing my item to draw first, and she taught me how to swim.
Gloria ashes rest in Maryland with Cindy, so if you can invite her on to the
television show and myself you find many people out there that enjoyed her, and myself I grew up in Culver City when it was MGM and when See’s Candy had one of their first factorys there..seeing Hopalong Cassedy drive his truck
and horse trailer coming right down the main part of town towards MGM,
and my Mother worked in the famous Helms Bakery, tho thrust into foster home living, I was blessed to live and graduate from Anaheim
high School. praying to move out of this apartment to us a new house and my husband is a pharmacist with so many debts with being a mother f 4 daughters, 8 grandchildren, and 5 great grandchildren I like to see Gods supernatural directions provide for us a 3/4 house in a save clean neighhood with all electric but have a gas pipe connection so in gas had to
use gas for cooking or heating..and in a town safe enough to living but not in
sulphur, oklahoma some where before here and okmulgee…he is 68,69, something family but private when their not around to visit, and yet where my husband can get a job as a pharmacist, and me a art supply store…

Sandra July 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Love her! Will definitely watch her on OWN.

RJB June 22, 2010 at 8:10 am

For me, I am very proud of Oprah for her success, and yes she has done alot to help people, especially on her shows. If she appears to be about herself, then let her, she has to have her own space sometimes, damn! Some of you people should try and put yourself in her shoes, just for a day and watch and see how many people are tugging at you. She has alot going on for herself and I pray she continues to have overwhelming success. Oprah you are loved and you will be missed. Thanks

nick May 13, 2010 at 5:09 pm

i dont like oprah…but ill watch the finale just to have a party :’)

Jill April 15, 2010 at 8:48 am

I worked all my life and was only lucky enough to watch the show on days off. Now that I am retired I watch it everyday; in fact, my husband tapes it on our DVR in case we are not home from the rec center when it airs & I can watch it at my convenience.; she could have Celine Dion on every day & I would be happy. I would love to be in her audience (it is on my bucket list) and hope my dream comes true before the show ends. I currently subscribe to the O Magazine and enjoy the articles ; she looks as beautiful on the cover as she does on her show, she is a classy lady. She cares about people and has made a difference in alot of lives.

Kathy January 28, 2010 at 7:42 am

It is about time! I have seen her and heard her speak in person. She has her own personal agenda. She does not care about common every day people. She is an egotistical glory seeking individual. The network needs to put The Bonnie Hunt Show on in that time slot to see someone who genuinely cares about people and humanity.

Lorraine January 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Ignorance shines through the negative comments above. If more folks cared for humanity the way Oprah does, perhaps the world would be a better place. She has touched the lives of many and whether she has her own show or not, she will continue to touch lives… moreso than you Jim, Rick and Rachel.

Mike May 28, 2010 at 3:25 am

Say what you want about Oprah she’s succeeded at one thing. She’s managed to turn herself into a kind of modern-day deity and I find it absolutely disgusting. She sends the message that everyone has to live a certain way and yet she is exempt. Yes I know Oprah’s practically religion to millions of brainwashed simpletons who can’t see through the deception and the hypocrisy, but I can’t understand how someone can preach selflessness and generosity and be believed while she makes no effort to hide the fact that she is also an icon of materialism and monetary consumption. While she talks about starving children in other parts of the world she purchases private islands in the Bahamas for herself. She has changed television and she has made a big impact but it is all for herself. The end of the show is just the beginning. Oprah’s network will reach new unforeseen levels of influence and power. Frankly I’m horrified.

Jacquelin July 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Mike,

The fact that you mention the word “deity” says what you think in and of itself. Those who would put a person up there with the word “deity” get what they deserve. You sound like a hateful person.

Don’t hate man because it sounds like she has what you only wish for. Get off your tuckus and go get it.

She has helped a LOT of people. I’m curious, how many have you helped in the last 25 years? Come on man, you are typing a lot of crap about her, so what’s the number. Do you even come close?

Hold the mirror up closely to your face.

Jacquelin.

Rachel December 10, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Who still watches this?

PULL IT.

Jim December 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I would rather have the Unit back any day over her glad to finally see her go should have never been on TV in the first place

Kathy December 2, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I CARE!!!! I think Oprah is on of the best shows on TV. Just because its NOT A MALE TV SHOW, most of you don’t like it.. TOO BAD !!!! Yes i would watch Oprah on another station. Wishing you all the best!!!!

rick November 26, 2009 at 2:50 pm