The Philanthropist: Sinking Ratings; Keep It or Cancel It?

The PhilanthropistAnother of NBC’s new Summer series, The Philanthropist, got off to a moderately successful start in the ratings but has been losing steam quickly. Should NBC show some charity and keep it around or should they just cancel it already?

The Philanthropist tells the story of Teddy Rist (James Purefoy), a billionaire playboy who is haunted by the death of his only child. After rescuing a young boy from a hurricane, Rist begins using his wealth to help those in need. The show also features the talents of Jesse L. Martin, Neve Campbell, Michael K. Williams, Lindy Booth, Bonnie Henna, Dominique McElligott, and James Albrecht.

The drama premiered on June 24th and attracted an average of 7.41 million viewers and a 2/6 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. For a Summer series, that looks like pretty decent performance on the surface but less so when you look at the specifics.

Should NBC cancel Philanthropist?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The show lost 35% of the audience from the last half hour of the successful America’s Got Talent lead-in. What’s more, many viewers tuned out before the premiere of Philanthropist was over. That’s not a good sign and a sure indication that those viewers probably won’t be back the following week.

The second week, the Philanthropist ratings dropped significantly to 5.69 million viewers and a 1.4/4 rating/share in the demo. Week three fell further and by week four, Philanthropist fell to 4.28 million and a dismal 1.1/4. Last week’s viewer numbers perked up a little to 4.74 million but the all-important demo remained dismally the same.

With numbers like these, there’s not much hope that NBC will feel charitable and renew the series for a second year. On the positive side, with just three episodes left to air, the network will surely let the short season play out.

What do you think? Is the show worth saving or should NBC have cut their losses and cancelled it already?

Christine Schippan January 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I really enjoyed this show, it has a great cast & I am a great fan of James Purefoy. I’ve seen several of his movies. The storylines are great and I agree with Trucker about these stupid reality shows, I have had enough of reality in my own life (cancer, death of family members, medical problems, loss of job and trying to survive). The only thing these reality shows bring out are the worst in people, (cheating, lying,stealing, fighting ) it is really sad that this is what our world is coming to.

As far as checking by age I am 60 & watch all types of shows I have eclectic taste in films & life, so maybe the networks shoul give some of these shows a chance.

Truck May 22, 2010 at 8:52 am

I don’t get! Good shows get cancelled for reality crap. The Philanthropist was great… Kings, Heroes… Cancelled and for what Shows that have no strength, no story, no susbtance. Look I am tired of getting into a series just to find out it is no coming back. And I have many friends who feel the same way. Its not just NBC doing it I mean I have found shows on many channels that once i got friends to start watching and liking them, POOF! gone! I am still fuming from Jericho, Dollhouse, and Terminator. I know I know Sci-fi not a lot of fans out there but answer me this. Would you rather have shows with a story or this fake reality crap and all these IDOL wannabe shows on every channel? Please People tell the networks enough!!!!

liz Hanson May 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm

This is one of the best shows you have ever put on the air, I miss it and was wishing it would come be on the air this summer, TV is great to watch on those Hot summer nights.

bill sims May 8, 2010 at 4:47 pm

keep the show going please it does good things and has a good story thank you bill sims

Truck May 22, 2010 at 8:54 am

Totally agree! Great story, awesome cast, and a constant jab at the mentallity of greed. Needs to be brought back. And if they won’t USA should take and run it make their lineup that much better

Ricardo May 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I can see how the show weighed down NBCs budget but they should have definitively kept this show around. Probably one of the most original shows released in a while, great cast, great storyline, great everything. I don’t live in the US so I don’t know how advertised is was there. But here there was no advertisement what so ever and maybe NBC should have tried to expose the show more to the public, including international viewers which I can guarantee you is where this show would have caught on fire like black powder!

Marblecat March 13, 2010 at 11:39 am

I am not on Facebook but please add my name. What a fantastic idea. The Philanthropist is a timely show, whose time is now. Haiti, Chile and all around the world, the story lines are just waiting to take flight. NBC is a short sighted reality crazy network. Southland found a home, so did L&O Criminal Intent on USA. The show as not marketed well or hardly at all, but look at the huge fan base it gained even without its’ network giving it a fair shake. We need an entertaining but uplifting and informative program to enjoy. Sounds like our “Teddy” is ready to give it a go. Lets brng this show back

Deborah Brancheau March 13, 2010 at 4:14 am

We’re trying to gather enough fans of the show together so we can approach the producers and encourage them to shop the show around to other networks where it will be given a fair shake. It worked for Southland which, after a year of cancellation, was given new life on TNT.

It’s obvious that NBC is not the place for this type of show. Even lead actor James Purefoy knew what the problem was: “I think ‘The Philanthropist’ had potential if NBC had the nerve to continue and marketed it properly, which [NBC] never did.”

If you feel the same way, join us: http://www.facebook.com/savethephilanthropist

Anna March 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm

NBC has to keep the Philanthropist going. This was one of the best shows on TV–PERIOD. There was nothing else like it. From a business standpoint NBC can’t afford to let go of this site. They made a gamble with Leno and that turned out to be a loss. This show will be it’s only saving grace. It captures that drama audience–those of us who can’t get enough Law & Order, House, the Good Wife or the Mentalist, yet it gives us something different. With all the turmoil in the world, I tuned in because I learned something new about the often complex issues. We can’t afford to be naive about global challenges, and the Philanthropist offered substance, entertainment, and a fascinating human element that is undoubtedly refreshing. NBC has a gem. Why would NBC debut a show in the summer? I have no clue who is making these decisions for NBC. I can guarantee that with the right marketing and a great time slot in the Fall line up, this WILL be a hit. NBC should definitely hang on to this amazing show.

glenn bryant March 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

i was late coming to this show,but after watching, i never missed another minute.the cast is great and the stories riveting.lindy booth needs to be more prominent.