The Playboy Club: Cancelled

The Playboy Club  canceledAnd we have a winner — or a loser, depending on how you look at it. NBC has announced that they have cancelled The Playboy Club after just three episodes due to low ratings.

The new TV series revolves around patrons and staff of the Playboy Club in Chicago during the 1960s. The cast includes Amber Heard, David Krumholtz, Eddie Cibrian, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Laura Benanti, Leah Renee Cudmore, Naturi Naughton, and Wes Ramsey.

The show debuted on September 19th to a very disappointing 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.02 million viewers. It was a distant third in the timeslot. The following week, Playboy Club dropped 19%, to a 1.3 and 3.97 million.

Per the fast affiliates, last night’s episode dropped further still to a 1.2 rating and just 3.39 million.

The Playboy Club and NBC have been hit with sharp criticism from the PTC but ultimately it’s the ratings that did this series in. NBC has announced that they are cancelling Playboy Club effective immediately. They’ll fill the timeslot with repeats of Prime Suspect, the peacock network’s under-performing Thursday night drama. On October 31st, NBC will premiere Rock Center with Brian Williams in the Monday night timeslot.

It’s believed that seven episodes of Playboy Club have been produced but it’s unclear if the production team will be allowed to finish the 13 episode order or when/if NBC will release any of them.

UPDATED: You can follow all of the cancelled or renewed NBC shows here.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Playboy Club has been cancelled? Why do you think it failed to attract a bigger audience?

kate October 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Loved the show want more of it…finally something fresh and enjoyable

brett October 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

another note. if you want people to watch a show, maybe put a better effort into advertising it! I can’t think of a single person who had even heard of this show when I tried telling them about it.

brett October 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm

yes very mad! i watch alot of TV i mean alot! i know good shows from bad ones. this one had alot of potential. I’ve been watching a fair amount of new shows this season so far, most of which has been the usual garbage. I looked forward to my Monday nights for this show. If we’ve ever learned anything from cancelled shows, it’s that ratings dont mean jack. Are you guys unaware that more and more people everyday don’t watch television shows on TV anymore? Just because they dont get watched right of your website or the station, doesn’t mean people don’t watch them. Does anyone remember firely? cancelled after half a season. How many years later is it? and it’s still rated the #1 sci fi show on most websites and forums you come across? Maybe the Television business needs to smarten up or hire some younger, more intelligent minds.

liz October 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love this show, NBC is crazy, at least let us finish the season

ceilia October 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

love the show, women were beginning to become empowered, this show seems like it would focus on this. i hope cable picks it up.

Julia October 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

My daughter and I are super disappointed NBC canceled Playboy Club! This series would have benefited from not being on Monday nights across from Monday Night Football. Too bad, as it had it all – a 60′s vibe, mafia, murder, scandal, love, homosexuality issues. What can we do to get it back?

Patti October 6, 2011 at 5:34 am

I loved this show, maybe it should be picked up by HBO!

Joe D'Alesandro October 6, 2011 at 3:46 am

It was a great show with all the rightb ingrddients – babes, the mob, politics – really too bad. I hope a cxable netowk picks it up!!

KT October 6, 2011 at 1:01 am

If you want to watch a far better show, watch Mad Men…that’s quality. This was, well, NOT quality. Just a sad rip-off with a loser actor.

jeremy October 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm

savetheplayboyclub.webs.com save the show, go to teh website and sign the petitions and send letters!

dawn October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm

i loved this show !!! upset about the cancellation so soon !!!

Flugelhorn October 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Stupid show.

lidy October 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

VERY Disappointed in NBC for cancelling the show!!!!!!! I really enjoyed it I hope they will allow the writers to finish the series and we’ll be able to watch it online…

sally giminez October 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’m going to miss thus show, hope another cable network picks it up, please bring it back…also swingers!!

sally giminez October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Love thus show, why cancel hope another cable station pucks it up..or sell the DVDs to the end of the episodes…..sucks left me wanting more, bring it back like, swingers.!!

liz October 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I hope another network picks it up too! It’s not fair they never had a chance to finish up the season = [ I like this show