The Playboy Club: Creator Wants Show to Move to Bravo

Playboy Club creator Chad HodgeAfter The Playboy Club was cancelled by NBC, Playboy’s Hugh Hefner wrote, “It should have been on cable, aimed at a more adult audience.” Chad Hodge, the TV series’ creator and executive producer, agrees and hopes that the show will find new life there. Hodge is a Chicago native who previously worked on shows like Tru Calling and created CW’s Runaway.

He recently told Out, “I think NBC gave up too soon… Had NBC stuck with the show I think many more millions would have eventually shown up. Those who found the show realized it wasn’t what they expected — it was good. It was entertaining, sophisticated, and dazzling. It dealt with social mores and moral ethics. And it was an intentional guilty pleasure.”

Hodge is hopeful however that another NBC channel might still rescue Playboy Club. He said, “For weeks now, I’ve been saying we should move over to Bravo. This is a fun, sexy, soapy show, and our core audience is women and gay men. No brainer for them. Bravo has wanted to get into scripted programming for years now. I’d love them to pick up the show. If one million people watched our show on Bravo — a quarter of our NBC audience — it would be a runaway hit.”

The show creator believes that Americans are too conservative about sex, but too liberal when it comes to violence. He noted, “What happened? Remember Basic Instinct? Fatal Attraction? The Red Shoe Diaries? We’ve become such prudes… Sexuality is part of life. I’d be more worried about my kid seeing horrific violence than I would about them seeing network-approved make-out sessions.”

What do you think? Is Bravo a better fit for Playboy Club? Would you watch it there?

Canceled and renewed TV show

252 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Emell says

Bring it back!!! I’m dying to find out what happened. Come on how can you just cancel a show like that.

2. says

I love this show, It was so disappointing to see it was cancelled,,,I’m from Chicago & have been to to the playboy club,,its just what I expected,,,,PLEASE BRING IT BACK, I need to see what happens next! xo :)

3. Nichell says

U know people kill me talking about they want family friendly shows. I remember growing up if it was something on that our parents thought was not for kids to watch then we could not watch it. But now days parents want to blame everything on tv and music. Get a grip parenting starts at home. If u stop putting ur kids in front of the tv all the time. At the time Play Club was coming on kids should have been in the bed anyway. But I would love to see Playboy Club on back on.

4. mina says

BRING IT BACK! I was so disappointed when it was cancelled. Playboy, PanAm and Revenge best new shows on TV

5. Gail says

I can’t believe this was cancelled. Please please move it to Bravo or some other cable station. This is better than many of the shows they already have on cable stations. I am a 57 years old female and I did not find this offensive. I can think of many other shows that are worst in terms of violence, language and topic.

6. Dawn says

NBC needs to get a grip and Grow Up. Bring the show back. If not, hopefully Bravo will have the balls to pick it up and run with it. The reality shows on local networks promote sex with multiple partners, Magazine ads, comercials, infomercials, billboards, clothing lines, you name it, most promote sex in one way or another. If the Media is not promoting sex, it is promoting anorexia or unattainable perfection. I don’t see anyone complaining about all the illegal false advertisements in commercials and infomercials. That is against the law and no one has a problem airing them. The Playboy Club is entertainment. To the people who are not interested in watching it, simply turn the channel. To NBC, grow a pair.

7. valentina says

I absolutly LOVE LOVE LOVE. The show please bring it back it was so perfect, sexy dangerous and brought you back it time when life was easyer and more adventrous =) so please bravo pick up this amazing show

8. Andi Brown says

PLEASE GET THIS SHOW ON BRAVO!!! NBC doesn’t have a clue what a hit they had. My husband and I loved it and we just left hanging after only 4 episodes. This is a great show!!