The Revolution: Could Its Cancellation Save General Hospital?

The Revolution save General HospitalThis week, ABC unveiled their new daytime makeover TV series, The Revolution. As soap fans know all too well, it replaced One Life to Live (OLTL), the venerable daytime drama that was cancelled in 2011 and went off the air last Friday.

Based on what we’ve seen, it looks like The Revolution is going to be a ratings disappointment right out of the gate. While it’s too late to save OLTL, this show’s failure may be enough to buy General Hospital some more time.

ABC has signed Katie Couric to host her own daytime syndicated talk series beginning in the fall of 2012. Since there are only so many hours of daytime, it’s been widely speculated that Couric’s new show will take over General Hospital’s slot, at least on ABC-owned stations.

If The Revolution and The Chew tank and end up being cancelled however, there will be enough space on the schedule for both General Hospital and Katie Couric. If fans follow the four OLTL characters to General Hospital, that soap’s viewership could increase enough to justify keeping it.

ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee recently said, “I am a fan of General Hospital, but we have not made a decision on its future and don’t really have a time frame for it either.”

The network execs probably haven’t made up their minds yet about the fate of any of the daytime shows. Those decisions will likely be made in the next several months and, as in any business, it’ll all come down to profits versus expenses.

What do you think? Realistically, do you think General Hospital will survive into the 2012-13 season? What about primetime? Do you think The Revolution or The Chew will see a second season?

180 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

i hope aND PRAY GH DO NOT GET CANCELLED ITS A SHAME WE CAN HAVE OUR SOAPS THEY CANCELLED ONE LIFE TO LIVE PLEASE DONT HURT ME TWICE ABC AND CANCEL GH TO I WISH I COULD EMAIL ABC PRESIDENT PAUL LEE AND VICKI DRUMMER PLEASE GIVE US A CHANCE

2. No Name says

WE HATE THE SHOWS YOU PUT ON OUR DAY TIME. WE WANT OUR SOAPS BACK!!! SO TAKE OFF THE CRAP YOU HAVE ON NOW AND BRING BACK ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE

3. Tammi says

I never wanted the Chew or the Revlution on the air. I had been watching All My Children and One Life To Live for 35 years. Then all the sudden ya’ll take them off the air. And you want us to be happy about it. I have news for you (We don’t like it). Ya’ll screwed up when you took off our soaps. And if you want to keep what is left. Don’t take off General Hospital too

4. SoapFan says

I wish there was a way to bring OLTL back, but I really want GH saved. It is terrible that ABC has treated all of us loyal viewers like we don’t matter and replaced our shows with this. Not that I would watch anyway. Also not a fan of Katie. I initially watched Good Morning America to avoid her when she was on NBC. What is her show going to accomplish?

5. Anonymous says

Please keep general hospital I just started watching and I love it!!!! I watched all the past episodes on YouTube. And I am catching up, it’s a great show. Don’t cancel it.

6. Douglas says

ABC shot themselves in the foot with the cancellation of AMC and OLTL. Not only did this idiotic move anger and isolate millions of viewers, but will hurt the network financially in the long run. Crappy cheap shows in place of high quality drama will eventually get the sponsors to take their advertising dollars elswhere.

7. sharon says

I doubt ABC will ever admit what a mistake they made. I turn my tv off at 9 and only watch from 3 to 4 now. There are several hours that I will not see their advertisements or prime time tv previews. I have followed the ABC soaps for over 35 years, im not about to start watching a new one. I have enough reality- i enjoy the soapy escape. Bring back the soaps

8. Lisa says

I don’t watch reality TV and don’t really care for talk shows so these new shows have zero appeal for me. I am also disgusted by all the new “celebrities” who have achieved fame by displaying their pathetic lives to achieve a degree of “fame”. These shows are NOT entertainment and there are far too many of them! They are however cheap to make which is why ABC is trying to cram them down our throats.

I hope GH makes it because I love the show. I won’t be watching Katie Couric if she replaces GH or any of these other shows.

9. Joyce says

I won’t waste my time watching General Hospital only to get hooked and then have it taken away in the future. ABC is a total and complete waste of TV time. I don’t bother watching that stupid channel anymore. I hope that station tanks!! Too many other choices to bother with a channel that betrayed their loyal viewers.

• Anonymous says

You realize that ABC is a company, not a station, right? Or maybe you don’t…too many hours of watching soaps….

10. Mary says

If General Hospital goes, I won’t need a tv or cable anymore. I was only watching OLTL and GH aside from public television. I can just watch public tv online, and use my television to watch dvds.
    Ignoring the fans’ preferences in favor of profits is cynical and predatory. Reality shows are for idiots.
    The actors and writers on OLTL really gave of themselves, especially during the last months of the show. I appreciated that a lot. It was just another indication of how creative human beings are so superior to corporate greed.

11. Allison says

Sick of reality and talk, there are entire networks and tons of shows already dedicated to lifestyle, medical, cooking, exercise, decor, fashion, etc. The soaps were different, they are serial dramas, the kind in prime time, that we got to see slowly unfold daily. What in the world was ABC thinking by canceling these shows? They have a HUGE following, a monumental fan base with an enormous dedication to their stories, characters’ lives and interesting twists. So what if they’re not entirely realistic, they’re fun to watch and viewers are deeply involved. Bottom line, it’s NOT reality, something everybody is sick of!! Please KEEP GENERAL HOSPITAL and get rid of the Revolution and the Chew. We want All My Children and One Life to Live back. Also, the idea of Katie Couric and another talk show makes me nauseous. She cannot be taken seriously because she’s a pixie, she should stick with sweet sugary life stories for Oprah’s network. All that “feel good crap” that people can tune into when they want a dose of it, NOT every day!! PLEASE KEEP GH and BRING BACK THE SOAPS!!!!

12. Michelle says

Keep General Hospital on the air & bring back One Life To Live PLEASE!!!! The shows that were put in the place of AMC & OLTL were a BIG MISTAKE!! If ABC don’t bring back the soaps they will eventually have to go completely off the air !!!!!!! WE WANT OUR SOAPS !!!! There’s already ENOUGH reality t.v

13. Bonnie Gosztonyi says

Keep General Hospital on the air–bring back All My Children. I don’t understand all of these talk shows and reality shows and how they have taken over tv. I think it is totally ridiculous. What is happening to the good shows? You can only take so many talk shows–how many can you watch in a day?? Why is it that ABC or any other tv station would want a whole day of talk shows??? The soaps and show the shows that have been on ABC over the years is the one thank that I always appreciated. So now it is becoming like any other channel with Jerry Spring, Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil shows–way too many!!!! Enough is enough. Keep General Hospital!!!!

• Patricia Tomasetti says

I totally agree that there are way to many talk and reality shows. I turned on the TV today on ABC and got so sick of the Revolution so I changed the station to CBS and there was another show, The Doctors TV which is another one of the same shows. The exercises that they show you are just like the ones on the Biggest Loser that you can have on DVDs. Let’s face it…dieting/exercise is a mindset and if someone wants to do it, they will with or without these programs. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, plus the gyms, DVDs etc are all offered to people. So if you want to do it, you will. The soapoperas are shows that bring people out of their real life sometime and bring some fantasy to our lives. They are relaxing to watch and totally enjoyable. Please bring the soaps back on. Who watches all the new shows anyway? The young people who stay at home like to either go to the gym (which that have babysitting for children) or outdoors exercising. There are alot of shut-ins who truly look forward to watching the soaps so bring them back.

• says

HORRAH

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER……….

I’m GAGGING ON ALL THESE SHOWS I GUESS TV IS NOW A THING OF THE PAST BECAUSE IT CANNOT SURVIVE WHAT IT HAS BECOME..BORING BORING BORING ETC………………………….

14. tracy says

lol amc and oltl are gone. abc did what they wanted. they heard our crys they heard our pleas they said screw all yall. abc does not care about us. just money. screw abc