The Revolution: Could Its Cancellation Save General Hospital?

The Revolution save General HospitalThis week, ABC unveiled their new daytime makeover TV series, The Revolution. As soap fans know all too well, it replaced One Life to Live (OLTL), the venerable daytime drama that was cancelled in 2011 and went off the air last Friday.

Based on what we’ve seen, it looks like The Revolution is going to be a ratings disappointment right out of the gate. While it’s too late to save OLTL, this show’s failure may be enough to buy General Hospital some more time.

ABC has signed Katie Couric to host her own daytime syndicated talk series beginning in the fall of 2012. Since there are only so many hours of daytime, it’s been widely speculated that Couric’s new show will take over General Hospital’s slot, at least on ABC-owned stations.

If The Revolution and The Chew tank and end up being cancelled however, there will be enough space on the schedule for both General Hospital and Katie Couric. If fans follow the four OLTL characters to General Hospital, that soap’s viewership could increase enough to justify keeping it.

ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee recently said, “I am a fan of General Hospital, but we have not made a decision on its future and don’t really have a time frame for it either.”

The network execs probably haven’t made up their minds yet about the fate of any of the daytime shows. Those decisions will likely be made in the next several months and, as in any business, it’ll all come down to profits versus expenses.

What do you think? Realistically, do you think General Hospital will survive into the 2012-13 season? What about primetime? Do you think The Revolution or The Chew will see a second season?

180 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Chelsey says

I love the chew and the revolution! I have honestly never been a soap opera fan and when I found out those two shows are on I actually have something to watch and learn. I understand people don’t like change, but being on my own for the first time I learned more from those two shows than anything else. I’m sorry for those that like soap operas I have wondered why they don’t do a soap tv thing for those that enjoy it to get similar to antenna tv with the shows I watched with my grandfather so everyone is happy.

2. Gigi says

I feel that ABC could bring back One Life To Live beacuse it was the was the hightest rated program when it was canelled. Why would ABC do that? And ABC made the top 25 TV biggest blunders in 2011.

3. Carrie says

I really think that GH need to stay, and it need to stay in the 3-4 timeslot. The reason being, when I was growing up, I watched the show because my mom watched it. Well, it was the only one that I could watch the whole thing through because I always got home in the middle of One Life To Live. Oh I watched OLTL but I wasn’t faithful to it because I always missed part of it. Now here I am in my 30’s still watching the same story my mother and grandmother watched. I never miss a show and with my Tivo, I don’t have to now. I missed some when I was in college, but not since. I grew up with Robin, she was always right around my age. I really think the 3-4 timeslot is the perfect one for GH. If you don’t get the followers when they are young, it will be difficult to get them later on.

4. Nancy says

Just when I start to get into General Hospital and love that Blair, Starr, Todd and John came to town and I watch it faithfully everyday, they might want to take it off the air. I almost had a heart attack when AMC and OLTL went off, what was I going to watch when I came home after work ( I taped the shows) So I got into GH mostly because the OLTL crew was coming. PLEASE don’t take GH off and bring more players on from the other soaps. As far as the other 2 shows go that replaced AMC and OLTL blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh taped them for a few weeks and that was it (boring). We have enough food shows on the food network and the Revolution was just flat out a drag. LEAVE GENERAL HOSPITAL ALONE YOU HAVE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE ALREADY

• judy beals says

I have been retired after working 22 years. Right after retiring ABC took AMC off the air. I couldn’t believe it. Right after that OLTL. Now I find out GH. I thoroughly loved the soap operas. i really find it hard to believe they do not have a big enough following. Why does ABC think the followers would rather watch Katy (who ever). Do they have to replace all the good shows with some kind of talk show. This makes it look like nobody watches day time TV. No one could honestly say they want talks shows for 8 straight hours. I agree LEAVE GENERAL HOSPITAL ALONE.

5. DB says

I have already boycotted abc, even though I do not want general hospital to be cancelled, my loyalty has always been with one life to live and they should just bring our soap lineup back the way it has always been.

6. SS says

I’m sorry, but soaps are in the past. All they do is promote a whole generation of over weight couch potatoes. Although I am sick of seeing more reality shows, the revolution is fantastic! I have added some excersise routines from the show to my busy schedule and let me tell you! It’s working! I enjoy watching their ideas on how to help me be a healthier more confident person. Revolution is an awesome show!

• Debra Rice says

People have their own opinions of The Revolution….. I’m glad that you like the show but my ? is why is ABC considering cancelling it???? I personally am an ABC soap fan for years and I do exercise… (line dancing, walking etc), and I still miss those programs….. Even athletes watched them! You be surprised!!!!!

7. ka says

Im a huge fan of general hospital, we have enough notify talk shows, do we really need anymore. If general hospital gets cancelles I will boycott abc.

8. Anna says

And also, AMC and OLTL were waaaay better than The Chew and Revolution. I gave them a chance but its a major bore!

9. Anna says

I swear if ABC cancels GH, I will never watch another show of theirs. As of now, GH is the only thing I watch.

10. patricia grenfell says

Don’t we have enough reality tv. General Hospital is the one tv program I enjoy and has a story to it. There is only so many things The Doctors can talk about, talk shows get tiresome and you can only cook so many high calorie foods. I am sick of reality shows. I guess I will have to do more reading.

11. jj says

The REvolution and the Chew-never heard of them and who decided that this kind of programming was what Americans wanted to watch during daytime?!!! Obviously no one took a poll, if they did, they never would have replaced acting with yet more reality crap.

If Katie Couric takes General Hospitals place well no one will watch. I doubt many will watch anyway but giving her the benefit of the doubt, loyal fans will not watch. I’ve watched General Hospital for 30 years and hope to watch it 30 more!

Give these great actors a break and stop hanging a cancellation over their heads so they can do what they’re trained and paid for and act. Who could be at their best with all this crap!

12. Tyrell says

I will like to say that ABC don’t have the right to cancel our soaps for their new shows that are not successful to be on. We soap fans knows the ratings for The Revolution, ABC is trying to cover up for it. They need to take off that show. What will ABC do when they cancel The Revolution, replace it with another dumb reality show that we don’t want.

13. GINA says

The best birthday gift I think I could ever get is to bring back One Life to Live. I haven’t watched anything on ABC since they took off so may loyal views past time and treat them this way. Shame on you all for doing this to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!