The Revolution: Could Its Cancellation Save General Hospital?

The Revolution save General HospitalThis week, ABC unveiled their new daytime makeover TV series, The Revolution. As soap fans know all too well, it replaced One Life to Live (OLTL), the venerable daytime drama that was cancelled in 2011 and went off the air last Friday.

Based on what we’ve seen, it looks like The Revolution is going to be a ratings disappointment right out of the gate. While it’s too late to save OLTL, this show’s failure may be enough to buy General Hospital some more time.

ABC has signed Katie Couric to host her own daytime syndicated talk series beginning in the fall of 2012. Since there are only so many hours of daytime, it’s been widely speculated that Couric’s new show will take over General Hospital’s slot, at least on ABC-owned stations.

If The Revolution and The Chew tank and end up being cancelled however, there will be enough space on the schedule for both General Hospital and Katie Couric. If fans follow the four OLTL characters to General Hospital, that soap’s viewership could increase enough to justify keeping it.

ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee recently said, “I am a fan of General Hospital, but we have not made a decision on its future and don’t really have a time frame for it either.”

The network execs probably haven’t made up their minds yet about the fate of any of the daytime shows. Those decisions will likely be made in the next several months and, as in any business, it’ll all come down to profits versus expenses.

What do you think? Realistically, do you think General Hospital will survive into the 2012-13 season? What about primetime? Do you think The Revolution or The Chew will see a second season?

180 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Please leave General Hospital on the air, I have watched this show since my retirement in 2001. The Chew and the Revolution are just a bunch of people screaming and entertaining themselves.

2. sheryl says

I hope the the chew and the revolution both get cancelled,they should have left all my children and one life to live on. I still miss watching them

3. Veronika says

I need to voice my input loudly so hopefully someone at ABC will hear it.
    BRING BACK ALL MY CHILDREN!
    BRING BACK ALL MY CHILDREN!
    I’m in my 40’s and love the show. You’re not losing viewers, we just watch after work!
    BRING BACK ALL MY CHILDREN!
    PLEEEEEEEESE.

4. ShellienCindy says

I’m always happy when I’m right and I knew the two new shows would suck (they are even worse than I could have imagined. How will I survive the first summer without OLTL & AMC? Here’s to the good old days-God bless you Erika Kane and Victoria Buchanan!!!

5. RUTH MACWILLIAMS says

PLEASE BRING BACK “ONE LIFE TO LIVE”!!! Can the morons on ABC see they made a mistake??? I am so happy to hear the Revolution has been cancelled! Who needs more talk shows! I AM SICK OF THEM!!!

• Anonymous says

I agree. PLEASE BRING BACK OUR SOAPS!!!!!!!! ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE, BEATS THOSE IDIOT TALK SHOWS AND FOOD SHOWS ALL TO PIECES. I SO LOOKED FORWARD WATCHING TO ONE LIFE TO LIVE AFTER WORK.

6. Judy says

I love The Revolution it seems like all the fun positive shows are being cancelled and we get more and more crap.

7. C smith says

I am looking forward to the day ABC cancels The Chew and The Revolution. I am not happy about my soaps being cancelled. We have too many self help and cooking shows as it is. This is crappy t.v. programming if you ask me. Wish there was someone at ABC that had some sense.

• Jackie deRiesthal says

I would love it if they kept it(The Revolution) I HATE SOAPS and they have a channel for them we need show like The Revolution it’s inspires you to do things that are good for you, and NO DRAMA. Life has enough drama don’t need it on t.v.

8. Donna says

Please leave The Revelution on the air . It’s my favourite show on daytime TV. I don’t waste my time with soap operas . So you can get rid of GH just keep my Revelution . Thanks

9. Becca says

as a child I watched another world, all my children and General hospital with my mother….. sadly both Another world and All my children are no longer on the air. PLEASE save General Hospital so that this is something that one day I can share with my daughters (when they are a little older) and bond over like my mom and I did. I PVR this show and watch it because I work during the day!

10. marg says

I love GH! Have watched the show for more than 45 years, yes I am that old. I love seeing new people come and go. Spices up the show. Would love to see Lucy Coe come back, love her!!! Shawn and Tiffany too! All are so funny! I suppose it cost to much $ to have super stars make appearance from time to time. Keeps us on our toes, to see who we would see in the back ground. Anyway I can go on and on.. Keep GH, I need my down time every afternoon! thanks