The Revolution, The Chew, General Hospital: One Cancelled, Two Renewed

General Hospital renewedABC has cancelled one daytime series and renewed two others. Fans of General Hospital can breathe easy, at least for a little while.

The network has confirmed that The Revolution, their ratings-challenged talk show, will go off the air on July 6th. The TV series debuted in January and took the place of One Life to Live. Hosted by Tim Gunn, Harley Pasternak, Ty Pennington, Jennifer Ashton, and Tiffanie Davis, The Revolution has been a ratings disappointment and has been averaging about 1.3 million viewers according to Deadline.

Meanwhile, both General Hospital and The Chew have been renewed for the 2012-13 season. While General Hospital’s viewer numbers have come down over the years, the ratings have shown signs of improvement. In late March, GH averaged 2.3 million viewers while The Chew drew 2.2 million. The Revolution pulled in just 1.3 million.

Katie Couric’s new talk show, Katie, is slated to premiere on September 10th and will air at 3pm on most stations. Until that happens, ABC will fill the timeslot with an hour-long afternoon version of Good Morning America, tentatively titled GMA in the Afternoon.

While the alphabet network hasn’t said as much, they are obviously still searching for low-cost programming to fill their daytime hours. While the renewal of General Hospital has ensured that the venerable soap opera will reach its 50th anniversary — on April 1, 2013 — there’s certainly no guarantees beyond that.

What do you think? Did ABC make the right decision to renew General Hospital? Do you think it will reach its 51st year?

Canceled and renewed TV show

131 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. ziggynwas says

So disappointed to find out The Revolution has been canceled. It was a truly inspiring show. I have learned a lot from each and everyone of the cohosts. I DVR the show daily, and tell anyone and everyone about what I have learned. I will truly miss this show.

• Loretta Purpura says

Well you stand quite alone on your opinion! It was canceled because it was boring, uninspiring and a waste of time when there are so many other shows that tackled the same thing in such better ways with so many better hosts!!!!! Those people just didn’t gel together ! The proof is in the result, it was canceled!!!!!

2. Georjie says

Please leave General Hospital on the air!! And instead of
    bringing on another boring talkshow bring back All
    My Children and One Life to Live!!! I haven’t talked to one person
    that watches those ridiculously boring shows that replaced
    the other 2 soaps and if General Hospital is cancelled ABC
    should just give up because they will have no ratings for daytime at all.

• shawnee says

general hospital better not be cancelled!! daytime really sucks anymore with stupid cooking/talk shows. they should have never cancelled all my children and one life to live either!!!!!

3. Janice says

The Chew should have been cancelled-the Revolution
    is a MUCH better show. And General Hospital better not be
    Cancelled!!! So many people were upset with One Life to Live
    Being canceled and if GH gets cancelled I will stop watching ABC and I’m sure
    there will be many others that boycott ABC as well if GH is cancelled!

4. says

Revolution was much better. Whos says we need another female daytime talk show. The View is enough for anyone and frankly that show gives women a bad name, everyone talks over everyone and they all sound high on caffeine or something, except for Whoopie, who is calm under fire. Not the rest of them. No one gave Revolution time to get a bigger audience!!! Same thing with getting rid of Anne Curry, why didn’t they get rid someone else there, she was and still is one of the best journalist on TV. Start looking at the guys on that show?????

5. Diane says

I guess ABC can’t find any decent shows. GAA is boring, Revolution was much better. I miss All My Children & One Life to Live. I watched them for 30 years. Thank Goodness you left General Hospital on. ABC is lacking in good daytime shows at 11am & 1pm. I guess I need to find another channel to watch at those times or just turn the TV off.

6. Latanya says

Yes I’m so glad Gh is not cancelled. 1:00 to 3:00 was
    my favorite time of day. now all I watch is court shows.
    Please don’t cancel Gh I’m still grieving over all my children
    & one life to live.

7. says

I find the new GMA in the afternoon sucks and has bad hosts…. BORING !!! Yuck!
    I am so upset that the revolution is gone, its was entertaining, inspirational, informative, fun, life changing and the hosts were good…. I wish they would bring OLTL and AMC back, but since they won’t, cancel the chew which is horrible, and bring back the revolution which has a purpose. ABC is dead to me now.

8. Samantha says

I honestly will stop watching abc all together if they take away general hospital they take away the soaps and put in cheap shows so they don’t have to pay the actors so much money general hospital been on for 50 years and is the only good soap still standing so let it play on for other 50 years!

9. Donna says

I am so disappointed that The Revolution was canceled! Love that show. Watched it everyday for 6 months. What a shame. I’ll miss it :(

10. Eileen Gelso says

I think The revolution has changed lives General Hospital is the same old boring junk
    it is pure fantasy how the revolution could be cancelled is beyond me what a shallow
    audience!!!

11. purpletowe says

Please don’t cancel the Revolution. I enjoy that show. It wasn’t given a chance to increase its viewership. The Chew has grown on me.
    Please, please, please no more soap operas!

12. Kim Ross says

The old saying. . . if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it . . . ABC soaps celebrating, 30-40-50 years needed not to be canceled but maybe tweaked adding younger actors. I watched ABC soaps for 30+years. ABC will be hard pressed to find programming that will keep it’s fans for that many years. I haven’t watched ABC since they took All My Children and One Life to Live off the air and it thrills me to see The Revolution being cancelled.

13. Mimi says

Yes, to me ALL the “soap-boppers” should go! The talk shows are much more interesting and stimulating while offering new, fresh and innovating ideas. I especially like shows such as The Nate Berkus Show, The Chew, The View, etc.

• Daphne Capps says

I was very disappointed to see The Revolution end. I was surprised. It was a very good show and very entertaining and informative. Get rid of all the soap Operas and leave The Revolution on!!!