The Riches: FX Officially Cancels Drama, No Season Three

IMAGEAfter months of speculation, FX has finally put rumors of The Riches’ cancellation to rest. The show is over.

The Riches debuted on March 12, 2007 on FX. The TV series follows a pair of Irish con artists and their children who assume the identities of a wealthy family who has died in a car crash. The show stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver in the roles of Wayne and Dahlia Malloy.

The series debuted to 3.8 million viewers and 1.9 rating/5 share in the desirable demographic. The numbers fell during the 13 episode season but FX still renewed it for a second year. The numbers fell significantly in season two and The Riches lost almost 50% of its 18-49 viewers.

For those that did watch, they only got to see a shortened season because of the writers strike. Only seven of the 13 planned episodes were produced and ended with storylines unresolved. It was hoped that the remaining six would be added to the order for season three but that won’t happen now.

Would you pay to see Riches wrapped up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the season two ratings didn’t warrant a renewal, FX was hesitant to cancel the series. Riches was a hit with critics and Driver received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. Ultimately, as is usually the case, it came down to economics and resources. Things weren’t likely helped by the fact that neither Izzard or Driver were available to return to production any time soon. Izzard is booked for two movies and has a busy stand up schedule that keeps him touring. Driver recently gave birth to her first child.

After months of waiting, actor Todd Stashwick (Dahlia’s cousin Dale on the series) broke the cancellation news to fans on Thursday. The network made the official announcement a few days later.

In a perfect world, a final episode or movie would be filmed to wrap up the series’ cliffhanger. Based on the show’s ratings, that seems unlikely to happen. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Amber January 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Thats stupid, The riches was an amazing show. I have both seasons and love em. Was waiting and waiting for the rest of the show. Especially because of how they ended it, damn writers. jk jk. Hope FX will change its mind in the future?!?!?

john December 29, 2009 at 8:18 pm

The riches was the best show i have ever seen, i hope season 3 would come out!!!! I have the hole season 2 on my i pod and watch it all the time, every day!!!

Sarah December 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Dude this sucks. I loved this show and watched it religiously. I’ll definatly miss it, espescially since they left us hanging like theres no tomorow. Cmon FX give us something. Dont the viewers that gave their time deserve at least an answer????!!!!

Ty December 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Jon that’s bull. If you didn’t like it then don’t watch it. You only have 1 opinion and you don’t run anything. Get over it i liked it.

jon December 7, 2009 at 10:52 am

the show was good but way to much untold truth between the wayne and dahlia. i got tired of watching them both just not even mention anything thing to one another even when there were bigger problems yet its a show… soo i understand that. also i just got so sick of dahlia shes bipolar a druggy selfish dumb i was tired of watching her be that way to the family and the only people who put her down were the kids. i wanted wayne to beat her and or she get killed off or go to jail. with that said the show got kind of lame with all the unsolved drama and everyones moodswings and dumb actions. if they are to try and continue the show… make it more serious in a sence to ware we viewers arent saying to ourselves cut the crap and do wat needs to be done. dont know i could go on and on with other stuff. just thought id put my thoughts in

ARTIE December 4, 2009 at 3:31 pm

NO SEASON 3 , THAT SUCK’S !!!!! IT’S THE BEST SHOW YOU HAD ON FX !!! YOU NEED TO DO SEASON 3 AN SO ON !!!!!! I HOPE YOU HOPE ,I REALLY LIKED IT !!! THANK YOU, ARTIE

J. December 3, 2009 at 12:46 am

I didn’t know what the show was. I saw advertisements for it on TV and always thought it was the old Richy-Rich cartoon made into a live action drama series. It still looked interesting, but I wasn’t able to get around to watching it.

Now it is on Hulu, so I decided to check it out and the show is brilliant! I couldn’t pay for it if I had to (not in this economy) but I really love the show and wish I could afford to pay for it. I don’t want to see the series end (although it already has).

It saddens me that poor advertising and bad time slots are killing tons of great shows! Firefly, Defying Gravity (Well, ok.. Defying gravity wasn’t great but it was above average!), The Riches, and many others! It’s like there’s all these great shows but no one knows they exist until they’re gone!

I think TV needs to change the way it does things. Each station can only show one show in a given time slot, and often stations put all their best shows on during the same time slots to compete with each other. People end up going with what they know, instead of trying what is new. Then if they stick it in a less popular time slot, people simply don’t know it is one or don’t watch it because they are at work or sleeping.

Hulu, DVRs, and On Demand are the only way to go these days I think.

In any case, I want to see more of The Riches! I hope we can drum up enough support to bring it back. I hope FX is able to bring it back if we do drum up the support!

Karmer November 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Yeah at least they could have done one more episode to end the season 2. I don’t know where Cael chose to stay – with gypsies or his family.

Karmer November 30, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Dude, it’s only crap like “Degrassi” and “One on One” that gets to stay on and important shows like “the Riches” go. Damn. Maybe most folks are dumbasses and don’t get the meaning of the show. I personally love it and would contribute to a movement to bring this show back.

Christine October 30, 2009 at 6:05 pm

The Riches was one of the best shows on TV…I looked forward to it every week…I will miss the show

Michaela October 22, 2009 at 7:04 am

I can not believe they would leave it hanging bring it back

bj October 11, 2009 at 10:56 am

why do the intelligent shows get cancelled? you could have given it more than a season and a half. how many series hits developed after several lackluster seasons? duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! you goofed. bring it back.

Buffer October 6, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Please i am begging you bring back my favorite show, i still cant function without it, i miss this show so much. It was a really bad idea to cancel it, i want to see it back on please.

Olduffers October 5, 2009 at 3:55 pm

A poor move to cancel a show that had so many great elements. Many plot twists and possible moral messages too. We liked it allot! It beat the stuffing out of cop shows and reality TV drech on the networks today. You may have polled the wrong demographic on its value. Still, I’ve got a channel switcher and DVD player and I use it.

jesse September 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm

fx please finishit or better yet somone can finish it as a movie