The Riches: FX Officially Cancels Drama, No Season Three

IMAGEAfter months of speculation, FX has finally put rumors of The Riches’ cancellation to rest. The show is over.

The Riches debuted on March 12, 2007 on FX. The TV series follows a pair of Irish con artists and their children who assume the identities of a wealthy family who has died in a car crash. The show stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver in the roles of Wayne and Dahlia Malloy.

The series debuted to 3.8 million viewers and 1.9 rating/5 share in the desirable demographic. The numbers fell during the 13 episode season but FX still renewed it for a second year. The numbers fell significantly in season two and The Riches lost almost 50% of its 18-49 viewers.

For those that did watch, they only got to see a shortened season because of the writers strike. Only seven of the 13 planned episodes were produced and ended with storylines unresolved. It was hoped that the remaining six would be added to the order for season three but that won’t happen now.

Would you pay to see Riches wrapped up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the season two ratings didn’t warrant a renewal, FX was hesitant to cancel the series. Riches was a hit with critics and Driver received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. Ultimately, as is usually the case, it came down to economics and resources. Things weren’t likely helped by the fact that neither Izzard or Driver were available to return to production any time soon. Izzard is booked for two movies and has a busy stand up schedule that keeps him touring. Driver recently gave birth to her first child.

After months of waiting, actor Todd Stashwick (Dahlia’s cousin Dale on the series) broke the cancellation news to fans on Thursday. The network made the official announcement a few days later.

In a perfect world, a final episode or movie would be filmed to wrap up the series’ cliffhanger. Based on the show’s ratings, that seems unlikely to happen. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

229 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. rita-christine says

Netflix spent the time and money continuing the series of Arrested Development. A poor judgement call not to continue The Riches. Figure out how to continue the storyline and complete a proper ending to give closure to the fans. The fans give the time and money after all.

• says

I would so like to have closure. Such a cutting edge series with lots of humor. Dark or otherwise. Not like the run of the mill series of that period that turned me from network series

2. says

I was SO mad today when the series ended mid air..No ending? Why even have it on!! Pretty stupid if you ask me. Great actors and such a unique story line. Wish I hadn’t even started it!!!!!!

3. Bridget Blair says

This show was dynamic on SOO many levels!!! Being it back!!!! Find another network, anything!!! Just bring it back!!!!

4. says

I don’t understand how this show could of gotten cancelled it’s one of the better shows that’s on TV even still today I had never heard of it when it was actually on the air so I’m assuming there wasn’t enough advertising. I started watching it on Netflix 2 days ago and I’m just finishing up the last episode today and it kills me to know that I’m going to be left hanging. that has happened to me several times on Netflix but by far this is one of the best and I think and someone would pick this show up and give it another trywhat plenty of advertising and especially with all the people that have watched it on Netflix that it would do very well on TV now my whole family is hooked as well as many friends.

5. Jay says

The Riches is one of THE BEST series i have seen in a long time wish they could have continued to at least to a better end

6. ben shaw says

I do not believe season 2 ever aired in the UK, I watched season 1 on fx uk on its original run around 6 years ago, now I know there on Netflix I will subscribe and watch at some point although theres no ending, maybe Netflix could commission the extra 6 episodes but the children are probably too old now.

7. Melinda Horne says

I never even heard of the show till I started watching it on Netflix…and now I’m hooked…I would have never even started watching it if I knew there was no finish to it. I even have several friends that I have talked to that have watched it as well and truly loved it until they realized there was no ending to it….Netflix as truly made this show known so maybe you should consider making an ending.

8. vicky says

The Riches is one of the best TV series I have seen in my 46 years, OK the Irish patriarch is a bit of a cliche and probably should be ditched but the insight into the colourful ridiculousness and courage of human nature is rare. In addition so few programmes question the status quo and current cultural attitudes as well as this programme does. Why have the programme makers shied away from this? For the sake of short term programme ratings? Shame on you if that is the case!! Great literature and art is often not thought to be so at the time but the brave pioneers of the past have made the lives of future generations Richer!

9. DeAnn says

Just finished watching all 20 episodes on Netflix and I am hooked! My mother watched as well and she too is obsessed. Her and I both would race home from work to get caught up with each other from the previous night so we could talk about it. I even have folks from work now starting the seasons. I don’t think the show was advertised well enough is the problem or there may have been more viewers in the first and second run of the seasons. I think FX should invest in giving it another go and finish what they started with a season 3. I think more people have caught on now that Netflix has introduced instant watching of episodes and people have fallen trap to the Malloy’s charm. We want more!!!!……please and thank you!

10. jasmine says

I also didn’t know about this tv series . I just watched all of the episodes on Netflix and now I want to know more. I hope they come out with a movie or return.

11. doug says

Please for the love of god, come back…i just watched all the episode shows on Netflix all 20 of them..all in one day..this show was great and i mean great…i cannot believe i never heard of this show til 2days ago..i have watched many many shows and this has to be if not the BEST show i have ever seen it’s atleast in the top 3..and i have seen shows like Starky and Hutch-Boardwalk Empire and this show is better than em all…the acting is absolutely unbelievably GREAT..everyone did an awesome job…WoW they were good…anyway i wish there were more…i am so upset there is no more…i told all my friends and family they must watch it on netflix,and a couple of them have already started watching the show an they love it to..so there will be more people upset..again please come back..i would pay however

• doug says

I would however much it would cost for more of this great show..atleast a movie but i dont like movies as much as i used to cause they are to short and most of the time the ending stinks,i would rather watch tv shows now..i watch more tv than almost everyone i know as i am disabled kinda and my best friend is literally paralyzed poor guy and al he can do is watch tv and i told him about this show yesterday and he is already on season 2 and he loves it as much as any show he said..so he to wants more..so again please bring this show back….

12. Allie says

That’s not fair to us crazed fans! This show is what I looked forward to everyday when I got home! I am disgusted with this! It’s just draws us in and them cuts us off leaving us hanging! Smh. Dont produce a show if your not planning to keep it up and not just give up on it! PITIFUL!

13. Gigi says

I cant for the life of me comprehend why good shows get canned….and then other crappy shows stay on air year after year. I mean has TV culture really dumbed down over the years? This show had unbelievable potential and as far as im concerned it couldve gone on for at least 4 more seasons. The characters were well developed and the plots and twists were more than just superb! I was so sad while watching s2e7, just knowing that the end was a mere 45 minutes away crushed me. Please provide us die hard Malloys fans with a proper ending.