The Riches: Izzard Says TV Show Will Continue as a Movie

The RichesMany fans of The Riches were left on the edge of their seats for months, waiting to hear word about the fate of the gritty FX series. Unfortunately, when the word finally came down, it wasn’t one they wanted to hear: cancelled. But, according to one of the TV show’s stars, the story isn’t over.

The Riches TV show debuted in March 2007 on FX. The series follows a family of Irish con artists who assume the identities of a wealthy family who perished in a car accident. The show stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver in the roles of Wayne and Dahlia Malloy. Others in the cast include Shannon Marie Woodward, Noel Fisher, Aidan Mitchell, Todd Stashwick, Gregg Henry, Margo Martindale, and Bruce French. Stashwick broke the cancellation news to fans last month and an official cancellation notice came soonafter.

In a recent TV Squad interview, series star Izzard says that there are plans to make a Riches feature film, inspired at least in part by the interest of a famous fan.

Do you think a Riches movie will really be made?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Izzard says, “Oh, there was unfinished business [in the series]. We want to do a film about it. We want to do a film to continue it on….We’re already working on the script for it. Because I met Samuel L. Jackson in a lift, or an elevator, as you say, in London. And he was going, ‘So what happens with your kids…they gonna be ok, you continuing, what’s going on?’ So I thought, well, if Samuel L. Jackson wants to know what’s going on, we have to do a film. So we’re going to pick up…the plan is to pick up exactly where we left off, and we think we’re going to make a film of the next bit.”

The actor believes the timing for a movie couldn’t be better. “You know, with the Internet exploding, with all the finances going through the roof, we’ve got passionate fans. We had great reviews, and passionate fans all over the world… But we didn’t have the right number of them. ”

While the show’s declining ratings ultimately doomed it, Izzard believes simply measuring a show’s popularity via traditional television viewers is unrealistic. He said, “And how you test with these Nielsen boxes, it’s antiquated. It’s 1950’s technology, and we’re doing stuff that is different. People are looking at it in different ways.”

He concludes, “Numbers apparently stopped us, but passion keeps it going.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Rossieduck August 24, 2010 at 2:04 am

I Loved the riches! I hope they make a movie from it. It was one of the most well written brilliant shows that we needed!

Nancy López Paredes August 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

Please, do the movie!!! The art & performance of The Riches is great!!!

Specially the great acting of Eddie Izzard, is a great… wonderfull actor!

You can´t leave this whitout ending!

Please! make a movie!!

Great Show = Great movie

Greetings From México, (sorry for my english, is too bad), in México we Love the great Show of The Riches.

Kisses and hugs ;D

BUFFER August 22, 2010 at 6:39 am

We want to see the Moloys back!!!!!!!! We stumbled on to this great show on late night tv in Australia and was hooked on the show. Finding out it’s cancelled only recently….is DEVASTATING….yes we are pretty behind, but this is one of the best shows I have seen in years!!!!!! I am really hoping the movie comes out and atleast give us all an ending to a great show.

Mr. Wonderful July 31, 2010 at 9:30 am

I can’t believe im groveling around looking for free sites to turn my girlfriend on to the riches and can’t even see it on FX’s site.. Note the dates above.. people have waited years for this to come back on and I love FX’s programs they are always top notch….. So I ask the brilliant Obama supporters in Hollywood…… WHY ARE YOU NOT BRINGING THIS BACK OR MAKING THE DAMN MOVIE?… Hollywood liberals suck… FX you suck for making us all get sucked in then never finishing the story… it’s kind of like this post.. I started it and……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Get it…. Assholes!

Lori Mockridge June 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I am angry that you cancelled the Riches. I feel the writers strike had alot to do with the drop in ratings . This was one of the most clever shows I have ever watched….now I and alot of others are just left hanging. FX you suck.

Melissa May 21, 2010 at 1:01 am

I JUST found this through Netflix and haven’t been this captivated by a show since Six Feet Under. I’m so sad it got cancelled, but would be pleased to at least have it ‘wrapped up’ in a movie.

Jesse Alender January 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I LOVED the show. Just because it took a little while for work of mouth to take hold doesn’t mean that it was a bad show. Seinfield took years to catch on. If it was cancelled before year three some of the most memorable stuff would have not taken place. It did not get going till the fourth year and on. I don’t go and see many movies in the theater, but I will go and see Eddy, Minnie and the whole cast the first week if it can be made in a movie. You can bank on that.

Jesse Alender

darnell brown December 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm

i hate that this show got cancelled and think someone needs to continue this series

Dave December 10, 2009 at 12:23 pm

This sounds great. I hope the actually make this film. I loved the Riches and was really disappointed to hear that it got canceled. Eddie Izzard is an amazing actor and comedian. I am sure he can pull it off. You need to check out his DVD live at Wembley Stadium it is hilarious. Here are some clips… http://bit.ly/1qcEBt
Enjoy!

Kyle November 28, 2009 at 3:16 am

so no update on this at all?

Christi November 4, 2009 at 12:02 pm

OH-NO! The Riches was the best, I was just wondering when the show was coming back. I even recently rented the DVD’s from the local video store so I clould be refreshed for it’s return. PLEASE! BRING IT BACK!!! I have to know what happens.

Christine Morelli October 24, 2009 at 12:22 am

We love the Riches, great stories, great acting. PLEASE bring it back, or at least finish it off.

Shannon October 5, 2009 at 11:01 am

I don’t watch a lot of tv, but my boyfriend tries to find unique series that may interest me and that we can watch together. I usually end up wandering off to do something else by the first 10 minutes. Until he found The Riches… I was glued to the tv, never wanted to stop watching, we kept saying “lets just watch one more”, long after our usual bedtime. We were so disappointed when we found out there were no more episodes… and we were left with so many unanswered questions… We really really hope they do a movie or ever better another series! We don’t get FX, so we never watched it on tv and we’ve told so many people about it that don’t get FX either. Is there any way it could start up on a channel that more people get? That would be awesome… We love it so much!!! Please come back!!! At least give us an ending… We really need to start a petition to bring it back! I’m not that advanced when it comes to computers, so if there is anyone out there who knows how to go about making an online petition, please do so, I could get a lot of people to sign up. I’ll keep checking back. We LOVE The Riches!!!

Danny September 19, 2009 at 6:07 pm

It is an unfortunate but true fact that the networks etc. cater to the largest common factor when deciding to continue any series (Never underestimate the power of stupid [unsophisticated] people in large groups…) Generally speaking; smart, cleverly written and well acted shows seldom survive long in an audience craving the likes of ‘Tool Academy’ and Jerry Springer… We’ve been let down sooo many times it’s no small wonder why DVD’s and Movie theaters continue to do well even in a depressed economy. People get fed up and abandon regular programs in search of satisfaction. Sad though that the simple joy of looking forward to a great series and settling down with a bowl of popcorn in one’s own home is becoming more and more rare. I’m really disappointed with FX. They USED to be so cool. Now they just rerun like everybody else…

Justin August 31, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I found out about the Riches a little while ago and i have watched both of the season. It is by far one or my favorite shows. I seriously hope that they make a movie!!