The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

Anonymous September 16, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Show was AWESOME!!! Will really be missed.

Amy and Scott September 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

we love this show !!! we bought the tv series, and there needs to be a 2nd season, we have lent out the series and friends and family are now addicted. give it at least one more season !!

Laci September 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Please Please Please run a second season! My family absolutely loved the first season and couldn’t wait for each episode to air! We have been wandering, ever since the first season ended, when the second season was going to start! We love The River and greatly hope it returns for a second season!

sable September 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Please make a 2nd season!! I loved this show! you cant leave us hanging like this!! at least make the 2nd season with a decent ending!! I have been waiting to see when its gunna come on again.

Amy September 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I thought the first season was really suspenseful. I could not wait to watch it each week! I think they should do a second season, but not really on a River… maybe a rainforest or somethig. In essence, keep the same storyline (someone is lost or kidnapped) and the family/friends are lookng for them in a dense rainforest. Maybe on the way home from the River, someone else could get kidnapped, or fall overboard and get lost.

summer September 16, 2012 at 10:29 am

It is a good show i don’t really like showes like that, but i really got into the River and i was hooked. Please dont cancel the show. I am ready for season 2.

anne September 16, 2012 at 3:19 am

should def give one more season one of those shows that takes a while to like kinda like lost for most people

hera September 15, 2012 at 2:15 am

i know ABC canceled the river, but please can u just reconsider about uncancel the river and make the season two? im from Indonesia and my family and my friend are love the river so much, we (the river fans) really need to know the continue of the river, do they can get out from boiuna or not. i know the rating is not good, but can u just think about us? about the river fans that deserve to know the continue of the river?

shannon September 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

please do not cancel the river I have gotten many people to watch it after the first season….they are all looking foward to it coming back out it is the best show I have ever seen give it a chance plz….

Mary September 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It is a shame the good shows are getting cancelled. Sad time for those of us looking for decent shows with action and suspense. Bring all the action packed shows back you have cancelled because I was a fan of all of them.

frankie munoz September 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

NO DONT CANCEL THIS SHOW IT IS SO GOOD BETTER THAN MOST SHOWS ON TV ITS DIFFERENT AND NOT THE SAME !!!

chelsea roxanne September 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm

think it would be bull crap if they dont do a second season im a hugeee fan of the river after i had my son it was the only show i looked forward to watching even got my mom dad siblings fiance and his mom to be addicted to it just sucks to think they wont finish the rest :/

christina johnson September 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

i think they should do a second season and not leave us hanging about whether they will get out of the boiuna or not

Wendy September 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

They should bring back this show I always recorded it and then watched it the next day!! Please bring it back this show was great!!!

Bruno September 9, 2012 at 5:00 am

They need to bring it back I’m only 14 and I love this show really hope they make a second season