The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

jade November 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I LOVE THE RIVER! I haven’t missed one episode and i dont plan to, i really hope there is a second series because me and all the family love this show!

Earthmom November 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, please don’t cancel it. I’ve waited this long for the second season to begin and now you’re telling me it might get cancelled. I’ve never pleaded for a show to continue like I am for this one. Loved it, it was very different than the normal police, fireman, hospital, lawyer shows that seem to occupy the TV stations right now.

tim and cheryl November 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

it was an awesome show. My wife and I could hardly wait for the next week. We hope that season 2 will pan out!!

Eriqak October 31, 2012 at 10:35 am

I really hope they bring it back. Maybe another network could pick it up for another season.

LORI November 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

I ALSO LOVED THE RIVER, AND I LOVED HOW IT ENDED LAST SEASON, IT GIVES ME A CHILL KNOWING THAT THE RIVER IS SO MYSTERIOUS.

aleta loffredo October 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I loved and looked forward to the River. It was a new concept in suspense and terror, kinda like the Lost series. Please bring it back!!!!!!

Anonymous November 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I agree, it was different kind of series. I looked forward to each episode

Alli October 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ugh… don’t cancel it. I was one of the few people out there that would get so excited & waited all day for the new show. I even got my family & some of my friends into watching it with me. This Christmas I’m buying this whole show on DVD. I can’t believe so many people disliked it… I almost want to cry. & I’m also pretty sure that the last episode they left off being trapped in the Amazon, am I right? So they just can’t leave us hanging & let us think that they all died. There needs to be a happy ending. If they’re gunna cancel this show for good, they at least need to either re-play the whole series on TV again, or make a new series exactly like it. ): I would have never heard about it if I wasn’t watching CSI with my step-mom one night, and I don’t ever watch CSI. Too confusing and boring for me. But yeah… they either need to re-play this whole series on TV, or make a whole new series just like this.

nic October 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

lincoln already dead when one of thier crew shoot him . And Jehel call the Biuino the give lincoln life back… And after everything look well THE RIVER x want them to get out from that area.. SO PLEASE, x cancel the river, it worth to waiting….

nic October 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm

don’t cancel the river, GOD SAKE!!! It awesome to see more. It sexy,hot…

Choji October 23, 2012 at 10:48 am

Would’ve been and should’ve been a thriller, fantasy, sci fi, movie. The would’ve gotten more money n attention. Sucks I wanted to see more.

Jolene Thompson October 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I hope you do not cancel this please. I was looking forward to this.I do love the show and hope to see it soon

Dee October 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Wow loved this cant belive they would even think of taking this off…. Sort it out someone PLEASE!!!

John October 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

well I sure as heck do not think they should have left people hanging by dropping right in the middle of the series…. I mean… now we are to believe that they will run uthrough the amizon river for all time as it changes constantly….leaving us to wonder if any of the crew will survive…. tv all tv channels are that way……its getting rediculouse….

shafa October 13, 2012 at 5:32 am

please don’t cancel this show, i’ve been waiting my whole life for the next episode, to me this is the best tv series ever :(

Casualowl October 8, 2012 at 7:22 am

I think it’s awesome .ive just watched it all. And loved it. I’ve passed it on to many friends in the uk who also love it. Hope season two happens

karl October 8, 2012 at 12:37 am

i need 2 c more, i loved that show.