The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

kristine January 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

u cannot cancel this show, we need to know how it ends. at least give it another season to exlain what will happen

laura January 30, 2013 at 2:01 pm

pleaseyou can not cancel this program because is very intelligennt and smart we are love

Lyndi January 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I love this series!!!! I watch it with my mom and boyfriend and we want to see more you can’t just stop it when it’s just getting good!!!! Bring it back!!! Please!!!!!!!!!

Brianna January 27, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You can’t cancel a show just because of one season. Give it a chance and advertise it a bit more! Series like this aren’t given enough credit. Not to mention it left the biggest cliffhanger they’ve offered yet. I say yea to continuation!

Miss Yvonne January 26, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I am very disappointed that it has not been renewed it had just enough suspense I enjoyed this series. I would like to see. More.

Ms.Mathis January 24, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Please bring back The River!! I don’t like how the show just left me hanging. I want to know what’s going to happen. Bring it back!!

Terri January 24, 2013 at 12:58 am

Please bring this series back!!!!!!! Loved this show. ABC makes some big mistakes canceling shows!!!!!!

shana January 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

PLEASE DONT CANCEL!! i love this series!!

martha January 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm

please bring the river back

Josh January 20, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Bring it back please

michael January 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I loved it wish there was more

Doris January 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Please bring the series back, if not on ABC than on another network. This was such a great show; for once I was able to watch a show that treated the folklare in native cultures with dignity. And although there were some mistakes with the translations (I speak Spanish) it was still very well done. The lessons to be learned about respect and humility were way better than some of the tripe being aired then AND now. Bring the show back!!

Lee Nelson January 18, 2013 at 12:11 am

i luv this series. i want it to keep goin’. so please do a season 2

Cody January 17, 2013 at 9:09 am

I love this series. I couldnt watch the last couple of episodes on my TV so I took hours to be able to watch them online. If theres no season 2, then its a failure on the producers part. You can’t leave a story unfinished like that. Its just not right. Its like a book series that stops halfway in a battle scene. It leaves the audience wanting more, that they cant have. Keep on with season 2!

Roxanne January 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Please please tell me if that they are reconsidering.. this is a great series…. I am on the hook…