The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

taylor September 18, 2013 at 7:44 pm

i loved the river. if they don’t put it back on abc maybe netflix should keep it going. i think the show was very interesting and kept me hook and wanting to see the next episode i wish it would be continued in some way.

Shavonte September 8, 2013 at 9:37 am

I love this show and would love/need a second season!

Dee phillips September 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Bring it back,did not like the way it end.

Amber Menard August 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I was really upset when I saw that the river was being canceled. It was my favorite show and always had me at the edge of my seat. I was always anxious to next weeks showing because each episode left leaving you thinking. I didn’t always get to tune in when it was aired but I sure did use on demand to watch the episodes I missed. I recommended it to a few friends and they fell in love as well. It ended up being a family sitting kind of television show and created bonding time.

anonomous July 30, 2013 at 2:04 am

i love the river and like a lot of people already said theres no way it could just end like that I mean seriously! its a really good show and it shouldn’t be cancelled!!!

kelly July 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Hi I really enjoyed the river and live in UK and am disappointed that it’s been cancelled :-(

Nancy Melhorn July 28, 2013 at 7:33 am

I thought that “The River” was great. The ratings don’t take into account the viewers that do not have access to cable. Anything I watch must be done on the internet. This series kept us all guessing, had several unexpected surprises and made me feel every emotion there was to feel. I think it would be foolish not to give it at least 1 more season.

bamachik32 June 7, 2013 at 2:03 pm

i want more the river. i want to know how it ends and so does several of my friends

Josh June 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

My girlfriend and I watched The River religiously, although there was only 8 episodes, and we are very disappointed that there may not be a second season. We were looking forward to it all year, especially since they ended it on a cliffhanger. I know that the ratings are what makes the money, but I think that those one million people or so who did watch it still deserve a second season at least. And for the people that quit watching it, because they got “bored” were wrong to stop watching it and to not keep up with the show because it was different than most shows on television today and the storyline DID leave us with a good cliffhanger and we want to know what is supposed to happen next in “season two”. Please make a season two!!

Isaac May 28, 2013 at 9:10 am

I would be very mad if it got cancelled. I have season one on DVD. It was very good tv show to me. And the end looks like it has a sequel to it.

MrGrey May 24, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Apparently ABC didnt learn from shows like southpark and family guy which sucked horribly in their first seasons look where they sit now

Josh June 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Good point!!

Katja July 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Yes very good point. I wan’t more of the River. It’s one of the best thriller shows in two decades.

jacub May 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I believed that the show the river was a change to the average shows like family guy or NCIS so I believe that it should have gotten a better rating and should be brought back to the net work.

Candice May 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I am hoping another network will pick this baby up/

laura mccaw May 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm

i would like to see more of the river don”t like how it ended

jacub May 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

im with u

davin davis May 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

please dont cancel the river enjoyed it so much want to keep watching it thank you …let it be screened thanks