The River: Cancelled; No Season Two on ABC

River on ABC cancelled, no season twoThe search is truly over for the Magus crew. ABC has cancelled The River, their mid-season thriller series, after just one season of eight episodes.

The River follows the search for Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood), an adventurer, TV host, father and husband who disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. Others in the cast include Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

The TV series had an okay premiere, registering a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million viewers. Unfortunately later episodes didn’t do nearly as well and towards the end of its short season it went as low as a 1.3 in the demo with 4.09 million.

Will Netflix save The River?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows on the network, The River has a “D” grade and is one of the lowest-rated shows on ABC this season. It’s no surprise that the network has cancelled it.

While you won’t see a second season ABC, there’s still a glimmer of hope that Netflix could pick it up. The movie rental/streaming service had preliminary discussions with ABC Studios about possibly picking up the show if ABC ended up canning it.

There’s been no word since the initial story but, now that the show’s been cancelled, perhaps we will. ABC holds their upfront presentation on Tuesday so we may learn some more information at that time.

What do you think? Are you surprised that The River has been cancelled? Do you think Netflix should pick it up for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

107 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Al says

Please! Please! Please! Please! Netflix pick The River for a second season. That was one of the best shows since LOST……The show hasn’t even begun……The 1st season kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat…..

Picking up The River for a second season would make everybody whom wants to see it survive very happy…

2. April says

Im very disappointed to see that this show has been cancelled. I couldnt watch it when it aired because of its time slot and other shows I was recording. However as soon as I saw that it came out on DVD I went out and bought it and LOVED IT. I even have gotten a couple people I work for to get into it. They will also be sad to hear its been cancelled. Lets hope that Netflix can save it. Im a Netflix customer and Im sure they will come through for us.

3. says

This is disappointing. I was really looking forward to season two. I just got this on DVD, after seeing commercials for it earlier in the year but not knowing when it’d be on. I’ve always loved Greenwood, from his days on the short lived NOWHERE MAN to his strong character roles in various films. I just invested two nights in watching this and both my girlfriend and myself were intrigued to see what will happen in season two. My mom did see the series in its first run and was also looking forward to more. Ultimately, this proves that the way we measure ratings has to change: with everything digital there is no reason why we need Neilson the way it works as the technology exists not to just get a survey of what’s being watched but a census. And that moves across platforms from TV to Netflix, PVR, Pay per view, etc. Of course, how does the traditional means of financing fall into these new technologies? People like DVD, pay per view and PVR etc cause you can skip the commercials. So where do you go from there? I don’t have that answer but it’s clear the system is broken.

4. David says

I hate “Paranormal Activity” but i love “The River”. This show gets better every episode. I hope someone bring this show back!

5. Day says

Why do all the GOOD shows get cancelled? I mean, seriously. Can you name one REALLY great show that made it past a second season?

6. Leon says

Netflix please save this series… loved it! yes it had a feel of “Lost” to it but i think it had that certain something in the sense of suspence and a definate story that can be built on and lots of room for character development… still shivering at that scene with the dolls in the trees lol

two thumbs up for the series and concept

7. sonya says

Here you go again cancelling another good show…when the bacholerette is such a better show to watch….NOT!!! A desperate girl who cant find love herself so she gets a network to pay for it twice…really??? Maybe theres not alot of us that watched it but those of us who did..we throughly enjoyed the ups and downs of Emmet Coles life….how can you aire something and not give it a conclusion? reality shows are killing the intelluct in modern society…now you have two shows right in front of you…The River and Missing…ones that actually have a plot…reasons for doing what they’ve done…excitment and suspense…now to be cancelled how lame

8. Eli says

I hope Netflix saves the show. I really liked watching it.

The zombie like people were unexpected and hope we get to see them again.

9. Anonymous says

i cant believe they cancelled the river. this was one of my favorite shows. and they just left u hanging at the end of season 1 and now will never know how or even if they got out the river. im very dissapointed and kind of mad that this show will not be coming back.

10. jen says

this is CRAP
    ! this is one of my favorite shows on tv, finally a good suspense show that keeps you on your toes and it gets cancelled? screw it….

11. marcus says

I wasn’t expecting much after the first episode so like many other tv shows i caught up on hulu and realized it was a great show that had the problem of building up slowly. by the fourth episode i was interested. but like everything else that requires thought it was rejected, sad.

12. Jesse says

i’m very unhappy this show was canceled. it had me on the edge of my seat and now we’re left scratching our heads where the other episodes would have landed the crew at. Season 2 should be made or move the show to Syfy. I really want find out what happens to the crew, if they all live or just died. having the first season coming to dvd and bluray, it better be cheap on bluray, but sucks that its only 8 episodes. ABC should have let 2 more episodes to make it 10 episodes, then it would be worth buying. i hope season 2 will be reconsidered.