The River: Cancelled; No Season Two on ABC

River on ABC cancelled, no season twoThe search is truly over for the Magus crew. ABC has cancelled The River, their mid-season thriller series, after just one season of eight episodes.

The River follows the search for Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood), an adventurer, TV host, father and husband who disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. Others in the cast include Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

The TV series had an okay premiere, registering a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million viewers. Unfortunately later episodes didn’t do nearly as well and towards the end of its short season it went as low as a 1.3 in the demo with 4.09 million.

Will Netflix save The River?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows on the network, The River has a “D” grade and is one of the lowest-rated shows on ABC this season. It’s no surprise that the network has cancelled it.

While you won’t see a second season ABC, there’s still a glimmer of hope that Netflix could pick it up. The movie rental/streaming service had preliminary discussions with ABC Studios about possibly picking up the show if ABC ended up canning it.

There’s been no word since the initial story but, now that the show’s been cancelled, perhaps we will. ABC holds their upfront presentation on Tuesday so we may learn some more information at that time.

What do you think? Are you surprised that The River has been cancelled? Do you think Netflix should pick it up for a second season?

Lucy August 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The Event, Terranova, The River, I mean, every single fantasy show is out! What’s the matter people? I can’t believe there’s no public for these shows. Not EVERYTHING has to be drama or comedy…

eric July 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

Personally I think a petition should be made to have ABC bring back the river..

Ciara August 3, 2012 at 4:15 am

I agree.

eric July 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

Ever since the cancellation of the river..I set my television to bypass ABC network,and other channels associated with them which isn’t easy because I enjoy other programs on that channel…they should have given it at least one more season and by then if ratings are not up to their standards then cancel it…the last episode leaves everyone hanging now,and wanting more..I truly hope a network out there will see the show’s potential,and pick it up.

krandall July 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

One of the best shows of last season. I thought the Event was great also. If Netflix picks this up, you have a viewer.

Delanie Haisma July 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

I looked forward to that show every single week! Who is that stupid to turn off such a thrilling tv show! man! dumbys.

EMITcole July 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This show was amazing. What bone-heads are calling the shots at ABC? Idiots…

Selena Mendoza June 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I loved the river! It was an amazing show. It was the only tv show that got me excited. I never missed a show and was hoping that there were a lot more to come. Now that I know it was cancelled I am very dissapointed. I am a little glad to hear that Netflix even consider running it for a second season. I will be even glader once they get it up and running for a second season!

AB June 27, 2012 at 4:41 pm

The river was awesome. I’m amazed it received such poor ratings. I knew at least 5 other people watching it while it was airing. It’s really hard to keep my attention when it comes to shows… this one was a keeper.

Hannah Parets June 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm

ABC.. I went to film school i understand that MONEY is everything. Honestly though, this is one of the best shows you have produced besides Grey’s Anatomy. This will cost you in the long run of loosing fans. You have lost all of our trust by doing this. It is your own fault for not advertising this show enough, so no one knew about it. You Suck ABC.

Robin schimka June 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I am shocked it was canceled!! Im gonna quit watching abc, thy canceled one life to live after i have been watching it for 30 yrs faithfully, men in trees, an now the river which i loved!! Good bye abc

Frank June 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Just pathetic of ABC, they did this with the V series and now with the River. How sad !

Jen June 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

PLEASE continue this show, I had just bought the first season on DVD and it was amazing!!! I’m looking forward to a second season for this show, I’d like to know what happens now since they have yet to get off the river. If and I hope when this does continue I can get the second season on DVD as well so I can continuously watch the episodes over and over again

Kae Mac June 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Wow, where do these polls and ratings come from? I’m never asked poll questions. Best show ABC has had in years!!!! Ever episode was great and felt like a mini movie. Say it’s not so!!!! Only think I can think of is that people are so obsessed with dumb, brain cell killing reality TV with meaningless people like in Jersey shore or those kardashians and a dozen different singing shows that there’s no room for good thriller/horror fictions. Wonder if X-files would have been so popular in today. So disappointed in the cancellation. I know tons of people who watched, so a D rating…..so surprising

Chris June 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

the one series I go out and buy because it looks awesome gets cancelled. I’ll never watch anything from ABC again. hopefully Netflix picks it up. yea I just found out after literally finishing season 1 on DVD. when I finished I went to check online to see when season 2 was coming out and there you have it. just my luck…

Dovahkiin June 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm

That’s why ABC sucks. They wouldn’t know a good show even if it danced naked around them. ABC is the worst network ever.