The River: Cancelled; No Season Two on ABC

River on ABC cancelled, no season twoThe search is truly over for the Magus crew. ABC has cancelled The River, their mid-season thriller series, after just one season of eight episodes.

The River follows the search for Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood), an adventurer, TV host, father and husband who disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. Others in the cast include Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

The TV series had an okay premiere, registering a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million viewers. Unfortunately later episodes didn’t do nearly as well and towards the end of its short season it went as low as a 1.3 in the demo with 4.09 million.

Will Netflix save The River?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows on the network, The River has a “D” grade and is one of the lowest-rated shows on ABC this season. It’s no surprise that the network has cancelled it.

While you won’t see a second season ABC, there’s still a glimmer of hope that Netflix could pick it up. The movie rental/streaming service had preliminary discussions with ABC Studios about possibly picking up the show if ABC ended up canning it.

There’s been no word since the initial story but, now that the show’s been cancelled, perhaps we will. ABC holds their upfront presentation on Tuesday so we may learn some more information at that time.

What do you think? Are you surprised that The River has been cancelled? Do you think Netflix should pick it up for a second season?

isaias November 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This is such freak’en bull crap. I’ve been waiting for this show to restart again and this is what I get, a dam show that has been cancelled, you people are stupid!!!!! I’m tired of shows being cancelled because the masses don’t watch, I guess the millions that did watch didn’t matter. This was a great show you need to bring this show back or netflix needs to pick this show up. YOU PEOPLE SUCK THE BIG ONE!!!!!

andrewEK9 November 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm

It got cancelled because all anybody wants to watch is crappy reality shows like Jersey shore of they put this out a few years ago it probably would still be on right now

vilmarie November 9, 2012 at 2:07 pm

i can believe abc cancelled the 2nd season!! Its one of the best series ive been in many years. Im sick of the series about detectives, seria killersand vampires and werewolfs. I watch every episode and i contagiaded many friends with the serie. Stupid channels.

Tom November 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

My family and I love the show and I don’t understand why it was cancelled. We watch many series and this is one of the best

Bianca November 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I watched that show every week and it was exciting the whole time and I was always scared and I loved it, they made a mistake cancelling it, and I hope season 2 does happen! I miss that show!

steve October 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I hope there will be a season 2. My two sons and I watched season 1 every week. We will be disapponted if there is no season 2.

JohnHibert October 27, 2012 at 5:31 am

You morons at ABC need to bring back Missing ,it was the best show on Thursday nite ,not that other crab they have on now. I hate A B C for what they did to the show

EMA October 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

I love this show and I want it to come back.

ron arlette October 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

yes i think Netflix keep the river cause i love that show it is one of the best show i have ever watches

john October 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

abc is a good tv channel they just have some other shows on there that are old and they should be put down for good like DWTS is DUMB

john October 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

the river was one of the best shows on TV this year and if it where gone i will never watch abc again

maddie October 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

i know right i loved that show me and my friend always ooovooed when it came in i wish they never got rid of it

Steve September 30, 2012 at 12:59 am

Please nteflix, pick up the river, I Loved the first season, How can they just cancel a awesome show like that!!!

Carol Tomaro September 30, 2012 at 12:53 am

Please bring back the show The River, I Loved It! It shouldn’t have been canceled! THANK YOU!

Carol Tomaro September 30, 2012 at 12:49 am

Netflix, as a former member of netflix I would like to ask you to please Bring Back the show The River, I Loved the show and was so disappointed when ABC Did it Again and canceled Another great show! But when I heard that you could save the show I had to try, and also I WILL come back to Netflix and be a loyal Member Forever! Promise…! Thanks.

Beth September 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I would stay a Netflix mail member if they pick up the River!!! I loved it!!!