The River: Cancelled; No Season Two on ABC

River on ABC cancelled, no season twoThe search is truly over for the Magus crew. ABC has cancelled The River, their mid-season thriller series, after just one season of eight episodes.

The River follows the search for Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood), an adventurer, TV host, father and husband who disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. Others in the cast include Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

The TV series had an okay premiere, registering a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million viewers. Unfortunately later episodes didn’t do nearly as well and towards the end of its short season it went as low as a 1.3 in the demo with 4.09 million.

Will Netflix save The River?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows on the network, The River has a “D” grade and is one of the lowest-rated shows on ABC this season. It’s no surprise that the network has cancelled it.

While you won’t see a second season ABC, there’s still a glimmer of hope that Netflix could pick it up. The movie rental/streaming service had preliminary discussions with ABC Studios about possibly picking up the show if ABC ended up canning it.

There’s been no word since the initial story but, now that the show’s been cancelled, perhaps we will. ABC holds their upfront presentation on Tuesday so we may learn some more information at that time.

What do you think? Are you surprised that The River has been cancelled? Do you think Netflix should pick it up for a second season?

Jasonwilson88 October 19, 2013 at 1:01 am

I just recently found this series and thought it looked good, so I watched it. I never knew that it was on ABC last year. This series is AWESOME! I would love it if Netflix picked it up. I never even seen the commercials for this show on ABC. ABC needs more shows like this. The s@$t ABC has on now, are for a bunch of brainless idiots who are to dumb to wrap their brains around a series like this. It seems the world is getting dumber, and the networks are following right behind them.

Christopher July 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Netflix please save this show it really is a cash cow! A show with a suspense, action and
a great plot (every week with quality sub-plots.

Tammy June 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm

please please please bring the river back me and my boy loved that show watched it every week and the way last season ended left me wanting to figure out if they were ever going to get off that place please please please bring it back :(

Rosie May 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Been waiting for this to come back only to find its been cancelled, why does this keep happening is it be ause its not some dumb stupid reality show that only the brain dead want to watch! Please bring it back we love it here in the UK!

Luann Graham April 27, 2013 at 8:45 am

Please , Please, Bring it back for a second season. I’m tired of getting hooked and then finding the show doesn’t come back. I’m hooked.

Wendy March 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was just getting on line to see when the season started and found out that ABC fubbed up.

Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm

awesome show , not geared to kids ,,,bring it back !!!!!!!

David March 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

BRING BACK THE RIVER!!

4242564SE February 24, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Ok it takes a lot for paranormal movies an shows to freak me out and this show gave me the cold chills and I loved the erie paranormal ghosts they come across and in other words one pretty good show. What in gods name where you guys thinking?! Bring it back please!!!

Dezarae February 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm

To me The River was honestly the best TV show ever……. Especially to us thrill seeking ghoast lovers. Really how could not find the suspense in this movie very enthusing and heart racing. love it (:

Preston Winfield January 5, 2013 at 6:13 am

Wtf happend to the river it’s my favorite tv show it was just getting crazy at the end and abc took it off of there Chanel ..?? Why .. And put it back on my hole family are FAns of it

debra lessard January 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I am so sad that the river was cancelled! It is excellent. ABC is famous for canceling after 1 season. The River should be picked up by Netflix. Hopefully you guys will take a chance. It would be great to have a series channel, with out commercials. Programs like the River need to be uninterrupted while viewing. Wish Netflix would also have a pay per view app. Over and above what your membership already offers. Please bring the River back. Not everyone knows this program is canceled. I hope Netflix will pick it up.

Dee Phillips December 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

I was unhappy that this show was canceled, it kept me guessing. One season was not good. and the way u left the ending on season one,i want season 2 to happen. That was a very good show to watch. I watch Lost when it first came out and it really really suck. Please bring back the river….

JUNGLE SPIRIT December 10, 2012 at 1:52 am

Bring back the show, I need a paycheck.

tallahassee November 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Seriously, ABC…you cancel the River and start The Neighbors…..THE WORLD IS FREAKING ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!