The River: Saved from Cancellation by Netflix?

The River saved?If ABC cancels The River (which they almost surely will), it seems that the TV series might still have a chance for a second season.

Netflix and ABC Studios (which co-produces The River) have had early discussions about possibly producing some TV shows for Netflix and their streaming service. The River apparently came up as a contender as part of those discussions.

Once known only for their DVD rental by mail services, Netflix has been offering streaming services for more than five years and TV shows have become very popular with subscribers. We often hear from readers who’ve only recently discovered serial TV series like The Event, FlashForward and The Gates; shows that were broadcast and cancelled more than a year ago.

Netflix has made a deal to produce a fourth season of cult-favorite Arrested Development some six years after it was cancelled by FOX. The company has recently discussed the possibility of producing a second season of another canned FOX show, Terra Nova.

TV show supportWhile The River has amassed a devoted following, the ratings for the ABC series have been poor almost from the start. It premiered on ABC with a mediocre 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.35 million total viewers. Those numbers quickly dwindled downward and the season (likely seres) finale came in at a 1.4 in the demo with 3.99 million.

Deadline sites that The River picks up a healthy percentage of viewers from DVR viewing but that’s essentially true of any show. If a show has relatively low viewership, picking up 36% (3.99 million to 5.43 million) still doesn’t amount to much by network standards.

Could that size of an audience be enough for Netflix to justify the cost of producing a second season of The River? We’ll have to wait and see but at least there’s a bit more hope for fans than there was before.

What do you think? Is there a realistic chance that Netflix or someone else will save The River? Is it worth being saved?

Kimberly September 30, 2013 at 1:09 am

I love this show. Just sat down and watched the marathon

Matt Greenslade August 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I loved this show meand my wife liked to be to have hell scared out of our wits so please bring it back .uk

Weenboy April 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Too much crap all over the boobtube. The River had given me hope for a better TV future. Bring it back…I’m sick of being force feed crap!

Alex April 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Please make more seasons of The River!!!! Awesome show!!!!

Save it! I am hooked April 25, 2013 at 6:00 am

Save the show! I am hooked!

Jeremy Dean April 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Me an my dad would always get together and watch the river. Its rare we both enjoy the same programming. Awesome show. Me an dad will be waiting!!

gidget April 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I think its worth saving. it’s a good show.

Terry March 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I Think you should bring back The River. Myself and many others watch it. They are going to keep removing shows that we like to watch and we won’t have a choice but to turn our TV’s off and get rid of them. It is getting to that point now with it seems like 80% of the tv today is commercials and 20% is the actual show. I sure hope something changes soon or my tv will be gone.

Thanks
Terry

Linda March 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I loved The River TV series. It was very interesting with some guestions that need to be answered. At the end of the last esposide, they made it out but then the forest started surrounded them. They just left it that way! I want to know what happened?

Nicole February 27, 2013 at 12:44 am

My boyfriend and I LOVED watching the River together on DVR (we would watch together when we both had a night off due to our irregular work schedules). We were both extremely upset when it was cancelled and really wish it would come back. Idk how many times weve mentioned it to friends and family because it was so fresh and suspenseful compared to what’s out available now. Walking Dead is the only other show thats held my interest even remotely as well as the River did. We watch a ton of Netflix too so if it continued on Netflix- we’d definetely be watching it!!!!
PLEASE BRING THE RIVER BACK!!!!!

Marcy February 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I love this show! Please bring it back. I would love to see it on Netflix!

JOLLY February 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I am Jolly and i am from Bangladesh. You have no idea how many people liked this series in my country. We bought the DVD of this series and loved it very much. It is like a breath of fresh air,among the other popular tv shows like Glee,Homeland,The Vampire Diaries etc. I love those shows also,but The River is totally different than all those shows. And so many people from my country loves the work of Oren Peli. So please make another season. Because many many viewers are eager to watch what happens next and they are not included in the 3.5 or 4 million views,which is considered to be poor ratings.

cathi February 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I and my family of 6 watched and loved THE RIVER! Please save it .We totally would stream through NETFLIX. We feel the same about THE EVENT, FLASH FORWARD , THE GATES and several other cancelled shows. They are different and off the wall shows. Love them.

jackie February 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

i hope this show can be saved. i watched every episode. it really did have a good story line and kept me in suspence every week. please keep this show on. there is a lot of people i know will watch it.

Kim January 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

PLEASE SAVE THIS SHOW!!!!! This is the best show to come out in years, and I’m so sick of all the good shows getting cancled because of the ratings. This show will make you moneyplease do a second season !