The Secret Circle: No Second Season; Cancelled

CW cancels Secret Circle no season twoIt seems not even magic couldn’t help bring the ratings up. The CW has cancelled The Secret Circle after one season of 22 episodes.

A supernatural series, The Secret Circle follows teenager Cassie Blake (Britt Robertson) who, after moving to Chance Harbor, discovers that she is a witch and part of a young secret coven. The show also stars Thomas Dekker, Gale Harold, Phoebe Tonkin, Jessica Parker Kennedy, Shelly Hennig, Louis Hunter, Ashley Crow, and Natasha Henstridge.

When the season began, it looked like The CW had found the perfect match for their big hit, The Vampire Diaries. The premiere drew a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.05 million viewers. These days, those are excellent numbers for the smallest network.

Should Secret Circle have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, the ratings dropped 31% but were still strong by CW standards. Unfortunately, over the course of the season, they have tumbled downward. They’ve gone as low as 0.5 rating with just 1.14 million viewers. Other CW shows were performing better and they didn’t have the advantage of having such a strong lead-in.

On our CW Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demographic numbers of shows on the network, The Secret Circle has a “B+” grade. That grade however is heavily reliant on the early season numbers and the show hasn’t been pulling those in months.

If The CW had renewed Secret Circle for a second season, the ratings would likely have been lower when it returned in the fall — lower still without a Vampire Diaries lead-in.

The CW has different standards for success than other networks and derives income from other sources beyond broadcast viewing. They also have just 10 hours of primetime space available. It just didn’t make sense to bring Secret Circle back for another season.

The series finale aired on last Thursday night, May 10th, so there won’t be any further resolution for the ongoing storylines.

What do you think? Are you upset that The Secret Circle has been cancelled and won’t be returning for a second season? What will you miss about the show?

Delanie July 22, 2014 at 12:30 am

Just watched the hole season on netflix in 3 days and it’s so disappointing to see that they cancelled season 2…. Such a good show.

Anonymous July 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

So angry this show won’t be coming back on!!!!!!!!;(;(;(

Alicia July 1, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I really don’t sit home and wait for shows to come on but this show I always waited to watch !! I hope they will bring it back!! I just started to watch it all over again in netflix!! Bring it back!!!

Casey June 30, 2014 at 5:35 am

I enjoyed this show very much. And a lot of people that I know really enjoyed this show. We. Couldn’t believe when it got cancelled. I feel that the CW or another station should bring it back.

Angela June 22, 2014 at 1:48 am

I really love this show. I hate that its cancelled. It crush’s me that I don’t get to see the Blackwell children come to the town. I want to see if Cassie and Adam find there way through the spell.

Anonymous June 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

this is so dissapointing i cant believe you guys cancelled the second season i was really into this show and now its gone thats not fair i was at the edge of my seat waiting to see if jake and cassi were going to get together

GAIL February 15, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I LOVED THIS SERIES. I THOUGHT THE STORY LINE WAS GOOD AND I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN ALL THE BROTHERS/SISTERS MET. EVERYTIME I FIND SOMETHING I LOVE IT GET’S CANCELLED.

clynn February 15, 2014 at 2:39 pm

really disappointed that I just found this series through re-runs and sat through all 22 episodes only to be left hanging…gonna have to find the book I guess to find out what happens next!! this is tragic!!

ashley baeza February 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Please make the second season please guys
Thats not nice

Ashleigh January 17, 2014 at 3:36 am

Really liked this show! Guess I’ll have to read the books…

raha September 8, 2013 at 4:51 am

Please make a second season.