The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Cancelled, No Season Six

secret life of the american teenager canceled by ABC FamilyABC Family has decided to cancel their long-running TV series, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, after five seasons on the air. While there won’t be a sixth season, there’s still more to come.

Created by Brenda Hampton, Secret Life revolves around the relationships between families and friends and how they deal with unexpected pregnancies. Castmembers include Shailene Woodley, Kenny Baumann, Francia Raisa, Daren Kagasoff, Greg Finley, Megan Park, India Eisley, Molly Ringwald, Mark Derwin, Michael Grant, and Cierra Ramirez.

Debuting in 2008, Secret Life became ABC Family’s first hit scripted series and paved the way for future successes like Pretty Little Liars.

Should Secret Life be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings have come down over the years. To date, the fifth season has averaged a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demgraphic with 1.38 million viewers. Still, it remains one of ABC Family’s highest-rated series.

While the show is ending, there are still 13 installments to come. A holiday episode is slated for November 19th and the dozen final installments will start airing next March. By the end, there will be 121 episodes of Secret Life.

Hampton called the series regulars to break the news. It’s unknown if the final episode will give the show some closure, end on a cliffhanger, or simply be open-ended.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Secret Life of the American Teenager has been cancelled? How would you like to see the show end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

58 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Angel says

My kids and I like the secret life!! They should not cancel the show,we have been waiting for it to start back and now to hear this doesnt make me happy!

2. Anonymous says

I don’t think secret life should be cancelled. I’ve been watching this show since it first premiered back in 2008 and it hurts me that its ending. I wish it would never end and i know shows have to come to an end, but i didn’t know it would end so soon. I wanted it to last for at least 10 to 15 seasons. I pray that when it premieres in March that the ratings will boost enormously and they won’t cancel the show.

3. Alexandra Rossi says

I jst finished watching all the seasons and i love it..possibly one of the best shows ive ever watched…the drama, the characters, and the challenges are perfect…so No! This show should not end and should have never been canceled..it’s so good..5 seasons isn’t enough…they should think about doing the college years…just like boy meets world did…that be awesome! I think it would bring everyone back into watching it and boost the rating right back up where they were when the secret life first started

4. Debbie says

I agree this show should not be canceled. They need to continue it just like they did with 7th Heaven. look how many times the ratings droped with the show but it didnt end it kept on going and ended strong after 11 seasons. There is still hope for this show especially if enough of us raise a stink about it being canceled maybe they just might get the hint and realize that its more popular than what the numbers are saying. Listen to what your viewers are saying.

5. Candi says

I agree with all these guys it should not end I love that show!!!!! It is great just like 7th Heaven it shows the ends and outs and how families stick together no matter what the trouble is. Ann and George have their troubles and stay friends through it all. They all have found their happiness don’t take it away from us I want to see john grow up and I think Adrin and Omar should have a wedding and have kids together and Ben should find a good girl that is like Amy but not quite so he can finally get over her! I DON’T WANT THIS SHOW END I LOVE IT PLEASE FIGHT TO KEEP IT ON HAVE PEOPLE SIGN A PETITION AND SEE IF THAT HELPS KEEP THE SHOW ALIVE PLEASE DO SOMETHING

6. Ana says

I can not believe this show is ending, I’m a teen mom and this relates to my story, it has thought me so much. I would love it if it did not end, its my favorite show in ABC Family.

7. Rashad Lewis says

I’m very sad to hear it’s ending. This is a show that can help young teens today and I’ve been so attached to this show since the beginning. I would only hope and pray ABC Family reconsiders about canceling a show that’s help me through high school. I can relate in so many ways its not funny. However, if there’s no way of Secret Life coming back them end it with a BANG.

8. amanda says

Well since there are two more seasons out on dvd for secret life im sure it will eiyher be an open ending or a cliff hanger like usual. Im very upset witb abc family canceling this show everyone in all ages can relate to this show

9. Samantha says

If it has to end then it has to end. I just hope that it ends with closure, unlike Kyle XY did. As long
    as there are no cliffhangers I’m okay with it but I will miss it.

10. Jodi says

I am going to miss this show. I really enjoyed watching it with my daughter. I wish it wouldn’t have been cancelled. I look forward to it every week, starting in March. I agree with Susan!

11. becky says

I am so sad to see it go but just like everything else in life, nothing lasts forever. I do think the show should end with ben and adrian getting back together and getting married, and having another baby and amy and ricky FINALLY getting married and having another baby.

12. susan says

after you get people attached to these characters, you want to end it. The show should contine as these teenagers are growing up into young adults and are learning from when they were in high school. Why cant we see how they turn out and then end it on a real good note with much to learn from. I find myself watching reruns until it comes back on. Bad choice bad choice BAD BAD BAD CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!