The Secret Life of the American Teenager

The Secret Life of the American TeenagerNetwork: ABC Family
Episodes: 121 (hour)
Seasons: Five

TV show dates: July 1, 2008 — June 3, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Shailene Woodley, Daren Kagasoff, Mark Derwin, India Eisley, Greg Finley, Kenny Baumann, Jorge Pallo, Megan Park, and Molly Ringwald.

current TV show

TV show description:
From 7th Heaven creator Brenda Hampton, this drama centers on a pregnant teenager, Amy Juergens (Shailene Woodley), who is also a french horn player in the Ulysses Grant High School band. Amy’s boyfriend is Ben Boykewich (Ken Bauman), a cymbals player in the band who comes from a wealthy family. He’d like to marry Amy and support the baby, even though he’s not the father.

The baby daddy is actually Ben’s fellow percussionist, Ricky Underwood (Daren Kagasoff), who had a one night stand with Amy at band camp. The bad boy of the school, he’s the opposite of Ben with a father who’s a child molester, drug addict, and prison resident.

Ricky’s troubled female counterpart at school is Adrian Lee (Francia Raisa), who’s known as the school slut. Often left at home alone by her flight attendant mother, Adrian thinks that she and Ricky belong together. Adrian has had flings with many guys, including Ricky, her stepbrother Max (Zachary Abel), and football player Jack Pappas (Greg Finley).

Despite being the cause of Jack’s break up with cheerleader Grace Bowman (Megan Park), Adrian and Grace have become friends. Grace is a devout Christian, and hopes to become a doctor like her father, Marshall (John Schneider). Her mother, Kathleen, was once married to Amy’s father and Grace has an adopted brother, Tom (Luke Zimmerman), who has Down’s Syndrome.

Amy’s parents, Anne and George Juergens (Molly Ringwald and Mark Derwin) are estranged. Anne discovered George was having the affair with Adrian’s mother, Cindy Lee (Paola Turbay), then had a one night stand and filed for divorced. She supports Amy but doesn’t want her to rely on them to raise the baby. Ashley (India Eisley) is Anne and George’s youngest daughter who dresses in a dark gothic style, and prefers to not have friends. When George moved out, Ashley went with him.

As the new guidance counselor, Marc Molina (Jorge Pallo) is in charge of keeping the peace at the high school. He’s always had an open door policy but, once everything becomes so complicated with Amy’s pregnancy and the multitude of affairs, Molina decides to stick to academic counseling.
space

Series Finale

Episode #121 — Thank You and Goodbye
A look back on all of the main characters over five seasons and their lives up until now, graduation day.

Grace and Jack break up and go their separate ways. Adrian and Omar get back together and Adrian decides to move to NYC to go to school. Alice and Henry get back together.

Ben plans on going to Hudson University where he’ll wait for Amy to be ready to be with him. Amy and Ricky are supposed to get married the day after graduation, but Amy breaks off the wedding and decides to go to Hudson college in New York and leave John with Ricky for the summer. Amy still loves Ricky but they are not in love with each other and she thinks they should be madly in love with the person they marry.

George and Anne drive Amy to the airport and Anne let’s her know she’ll be a happier person because of her decision. Ricky reads John a story and lets him know they will live happily ever after.
Courtesy ABC Family.
First aired: June 3, 2013

space
What do you think? Do you like the Secret Life TV series? Are you disappointed that there won’t be a sixth season?

Cecilia June 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Love it the secret life of the american teenager we need back on :( its getting good I don’t care I’m 26 yr old watching it (:

charlene June 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I love this show I watched it since I was a kid and I learned from this show and I think it needs to be back on soon with the same people on it and what I learned was it will be hard to have a kid at the age 15 or 16 so I think it should be back on cause it can teach others what it tote me in my child hood thanks and please put season 6 on please

toooldforthis June 20, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m glad the show is over. It just keep getting more and more cheesy, and unbelievable. I swear no one on the show could keep it in their pants. like parents like children, right?!

Ben and Amy are quite full of themselves and are perfect for each other. They both annoyed me all 5 seasons, and wanted them to end up together because they were both selfish and deserved each other.

I am glad adrian is finally not a slut anymore and ends up with omar. she was one of my favorites. However, I really wonder what writers/producers would have done with the characters if adrian’s baby girl had not died at birth…..

grace….move on from jack. thank god! that girl has too many brains to end up with a dumbass football player. although, grant getting into harvard, really? and a pimp beat up jack to an inch of his life?! see this is why the show ended lol

henry and alice = yay!

poor ricky…i kinda wanted him to be with adrian just bc of their history, but I didn’t want him to be all sad and alone at the end either booo ABCfamily

moral of the story here folks, WEAR A CONDOM!!!!

TeiaR March 12, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Watched from day one, never missed a show, but glad it’s finally ending. As each episode passed the characters and story line got more and more cheesy. I’m ready for closure because I have become so bored with the show.

Bendrian Fan December 10, 2012 at 1:13 am

I would just like to see Ben and Adrian be together again before the series finale. I really don’t like Amy or Ricky. Amy is spoiled and selfish through her entire pregnancy and family ordeal all she has done is whine and pretend that because she is a teenage mother she should get everything she wants. Ricky pretends that since he has become a father that he has matured, but because he was molested it gives him the right to treat people badly. Adrian is a really mean person, but she is not as bad as they claim and it shows in some instances, but she is willing to take responsibility for her actions. Ben is an idiot who does his best to do the right thing and always seems to have it blow up in his face. I really don’t think that Ricky and Amy deserve a happy ending after all they have done. From treating people badly to lying right to their faces. Ben and Adrian seemed to be better people when they were together until Ricky and Amy get involved. I just didn’t like how they were almost perfect together then fell apart and now this Omar guy comes in and is welcomed like he has always been there while Ben’s family pays for everyone’s happiness. I want the nice guys to finish first, and Amy is no where near a first place trophy.

dan October 14, 2012 at 7:57 am

I realy hate that you canceled The Secret Life of an American Teenager. That was realy a great show I watched that show every Monday at 8pm. Now this year coming up in 2013 will be the end of my show THe Secret Life of an American Teenager.Now I’m gonna have to find another Monday night show that I want to watch.

Secret Life Fan March 30, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I love this show so much. It has changed my life, because I wanted to be a teenage mother. I decided not to be one I am going to wait till I am at least 25 or 30. I love Secret Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!