The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won’;t be back for a fourth season?

ken lee October 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Please bring it back.. Viewers start to watch the show now

Key October 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I am very disappointed that the Sing Off will not be aired. It was one of the best shows on television. The show was one of the few were the judges actually gave great advice and constructive critiques that enhanced each competitor’s growth and made the show enjoyable to watch.

Christopher Melton October 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

I am very disappointed. Out of all the garbage that is on television, the good show was cancelled. I was really looking forward to watch this season with my family. This is the only show I actually participated in the voting process, advancing a group to the next round. This is a sad…sad…day.

Eric October 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

This was the only one of these shows worth watching. I’m not sure if it’s more shameful that NBC cancelled one of the few shows worth watching or that Americans are more interested in watching intelligence-insulting shows that are still running.

Melissa October 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I am very disappointed to see The Sing Off being cancelled!! I come from a musical background and love to hear people really be able to sing, the talent in this show has been like no other singing show!! This has been the only show that I can get my 17 year old son to sit down and watch with me every week and every season!! Please reconsider your decision

JaclynG October 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

As a music educator, I highly valued this show. I felt it was the only music show on TV that I could promote to my high school students because of the high quality talent and judging. We have performed arrangements from The Sing Off every year. It has created a new excitement and passion for singing for my students. I hope NBC decides to bring it back even if it’s only for a few episodes.

derauqsk October 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm

What the H!!!!???? This sucks!! How in the world did this happen. I have totally lost faith in ‘Merica. This is BY FAR the best singing show out there, and NBC knocks it off for what, anyother crappy “Crime Scene/CSI/Murder/Homicide/Cop Show?” What a joke that network is!!! I could see cutting back the hours (which would have been a good idea), but to simply select to not renew it is a bit much. Peacock… you are the weakest link, Good-Bye!

OhCay October 16, 2012 at 5:22 pm

With all the other ridiculous reality shows on television, this show was the best! Bringing REAL MUSIC WITH REAL SINGERS to us each week was fabulous. Even the worst group of the night was far better than any act on American Idol, X Factor, and America’s Got Talent. NBC you made a bad decision. Ad you wonder why your network sucks!

Brittany October 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm

NO! How could a show that gave us something as incredible as Pentatonix be cancelled? I loved this show. :( So sad that it won’t be back. I was looking forward to hearing some new creative a capella singing.

Susan October 16, 2012 at 5:36 am

Sorry to hear that Sing Off won’t be back. It was by far the best talent competition on television…EVER! The show only displayed talented singers and you didn’t have to weed through all the “comedy” of ridiculous acts to hear young musicians .
All the groups were good enough to keep you listening and by the finals…the talent was amazing!
I stopped watching the other talent shows…they are boring and not filled with very much talent.

Trulyblessed2 October 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It was a great show. I really enjoyed it. I hate there will not be another season.

Rachel Green October 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I have been looking forward to season 4 of The Sing Off since the last episode of season 3. This was the only show my husband and I watched together and we hadn’t missed an episode. The talent on this show was far superior to any of the other voice realted shows on tv. I’m so dissappointed this show has been cancelled.

Devontae October 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

its not fair this show is and was clearly better than americas got talent and waaayyyy better than the voice! and american idol and x factormdont have anything on this show. Bring it back please u guys are making a big mistake! This show brought true singing without music and let the world hear natural vocals and people who can sing WELL,unlike the people on these other lame singing shows smh

Drol7ins October 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I am so sad to see The Sing Off might not come back. It is an entirely different show from The Voice and America’s Got Talent as well as some other shows. Having the a cappella GROUPS was incredible. I enjoyed their choreography, the different styles and the creativity of all the competitors. It would be great to see it come back for a few episodes at least!

jsauce October 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Was a a great show. It was the competition I watched as well. Bring it back for 4-5 episodes over Christmas!!!!