The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

445 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sing off fan says

Once again NBC pisses off its viewers. This is the only singing show my family and I watch together because we love the acapella groups. The other singing shows are garbage. Peace out NBC.

2. Bruce says

I’m very disappointed that the sing off will
    not air. It is a very unique to itself show
    with the blending of voices like no other.
    In my opinion, the Sing off is better than
    The Voice, X Factor, AGT & American Idol.
    It’s very current.

Bruce

3. Thor0ughly Dissappointed Fan says

This is the only singing competition I watch. In searching to find out when the new season would start, I was dismayed to learn it has been cancelled. I have watched every show of the previous seasons, and attended concerts where the competitors have performed. This is the only show of it’s type that I can stand to watch because it is conducted in such a positive way and with consistency and integrity. Clearly, those are not important criteria for NBC.

4. Molly says

I also was checking to see when Season 4 would start, only to learn it had been canceled. I am very disappointed! This was the only music competition I watched. It showcased real talent. I watched every show, and some more than once.

5. Chad says

Again I lose my faith in NBC. First they cancel Profiler before finishing it and now the only true talent contest is cancelled. I don’t watch the Voice, X factor, or American Idol. I did watch this and loved it. Using a famous singer’s words, “Forget you NBC”

6. a fan says

We loved the Sing Off and turned friends and family on to it. Can’t believe it won’t be on again. Such talent was fun to watch.

7. TJ says

This is a terrible decision by NBC. The Sing Off was growing in popularity (though the ratings may not have shown it). I went to see a live a capella show after last season at the Eastman Theatre in Rochester, NY (that inlcuded the Yellowjackets, Delilah and Pentatonix, and it was even more incredible than I imagined. These groups are so talented and together they put any Idol or AGT act to shame. I gave up on Idol years ago. Is it seriously still going? It’s so boring and the exact same every single year. Move on NBC. Keep the Sing Off on TV and do a better job of marketing it. The viewers will come. Idol and The Voice are lame.

8. Anonymous says

I have been anxoiusly waiting for the Sing Off to return. So I was searching to find out when season 4 would air only to discover the Sing Off has been cancelled. I am so disappointed … the only NBC show I watch. Goodbye NBC!

9. stephanie supernault says

so sad that the networks never give anything a chance to really cook and become a standard. the other so called talent singing shows are soooo played. the sing off presented true raw talent. I wish they’d rethink this decision.

10. Larry and Vicki says

NBC leadership has made a major err to discontinue this quality musical program. Take no concern for American Idol, XFACTOR, America’s Got talent. All three have been going down hill. Sing Off had style, good competive groups, and sound critiquing system. Who made this decision to cancel.

11. Jan says

The Sing Off was my favorite music talent competion and NBC has canceled it! The show exhibited great talent. I never missed a show in all three years. NBC doesn’t have a clue as to what viewers prefer in programing. NBC continues to spiral downward with primetime programs. I find it hard to believe some of the NBC sit-com shows rate higher than the Sing Off. So little to watch on NBC that is worthwhile…but that’s fine by me. I have FOX NEWS and the Food Network for interesting and decent entertainment.