The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Jenna November 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I am very sad to hear that it won’t be back on. It has been one of my favorite shows that I wait for all year. I am so tired of good shows being cancelled. The truth is so many people watch TV through Hulu, iTunes, and other sources that I really wonder if they take that into account. I was really looking forward to this year because the talent got better every year. I am disappointed in NBC.

Lamar L November 14, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I was really looking forward to seeing another season of the Sing-off. My family and I really enjoyed watching the show. It’s unfortunate that the show was cancelled due to ratings.

W.C. Smith November 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Just read about the cancellation of the Sing-Off. What a let down. My wife and I have watched from day 1 and both have declared the show to be the best music show on tv. We have come to the conclusion, if it is good entertainment and no conflicts, networks do not want it.

Ann November 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Very unhappy with this decision. A capella really showcases the voice whereas shows like The Voice and American Idol do not. (A mediocre voice can be hidden behind auto-tune and instruments). Here, the voice IS the instrument.

If anyone doubts that, just watch any performance by Pentatonix. Five voices that sound like twenty. Avi’s bass line is just sick. The thought that we are going to miss potentially another group like this? Is hearbreaking.

And so NBC will bring on shows like Stars Earn Stripes and Get Out Alive. Apparently they are hoping for a maiming, dismemberment or lots of blood. NBC, I am sorely disappointed in you. Oh well, one less network to watch.

sandy November 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm

We are very disappointed Sing off was cancelled. This show was very different from Americas got talent, American Idol, The voice,etc. and that made it stand out to those of us who love real talent and real harmony. Please some network, bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!

Anita November 14, 2012 at 5:57 am

Very unhappy the sing off won’t return. This was my favorite singing show. The others don’t compare to real talent. The other shows are all the same and this was different, the stand out among them. Oh well, back to the game show network. I look forward to hearing only good things about the past contestants.

Jacquelyn P November 13, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Unbelievable…NBC finally provides entertainment which is PURE pleasure…pure music with incredibly amazing talent…attracts all generations from my 7-year-old granddaughter to this 60-year-old woman….and NBC dumps the show?

Whoever made that decision needs to be brought to the head of the unemployment line!

george November 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Excellent show. Bring it back.

Lynn November 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

What a crying shame! This program showcased incredible talent difficult to see or hear anywhere else. I am so, so bummed out that this is not going to be on anymore. Curses on those stupid network executives!

Nik November 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I have been waiting very patiently to here when this show would be back and decided to google it. I am very very sad to see it will not be returning. Was an amazing show to watch and am now very disappointed in this network. Should another network decide to pick it up, it’s guaranteed you will have a viewer in me.

Debbie November 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

Very disappointed this will not be back. These guys have so much more talent than the ones who sing with music.

Virgil November 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Terribly upset the Sing Off won’t be back. Sure, sometimes it did seem that the judges were judging some by the sponsor’s direction in stead of simple talent. Still I loved hearing the power of the voices and awesome chords the great groups would deliver. It will be missed.

Brandon Hess November 11, 2012 at 12:02 am

My mom and I are sorry that the Sing Off was cancelled and that we have been following the Sing Off from the first show in the first season and the last in season 3. We hope that the requests from other peoples displeasures in that NBC will bring back the Sing Off for future generations to watch great preformers show off there talents.

Tina November 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This is so wrong this show was the best by the rest will miss i………they need to wake up.

Cathy November 10, 2012 at 12:47 am

Not happy at all!! This was clearly the best singing show on tv. These kids have exceptional talent. Shame on you NBC!