The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

boo November 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Booo they were some of the only people that can actually sing on TV. They made all other singing shows look dumb. I will deepely miss this awesome show

Eric Betthauser November 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

This show was SO much better than anything similar (“Idol”, etc.), largely because these singers are already legit. Because they are groups, they had already achieved some level of proficiency.

The groups were consistently excellent and consistently entertaining. Also, as a music teacher, I could recommend this show to my young singers, which is a heckuva lot more than I could say for “The Voice” or “American Idol”.

Michelle November 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

Our family is very disappointed that there won’t be another season of The Sing-Off. We enjoyed watching every week and even bought quite a few of our favorite songs on iTunes. We would love to see it come back, even for a limited run. It’s not easy to find truly talented yet family-friendly programming on television.

Todd Jenkins November 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Please bring it back. I love the show. It could use a new host definately. Nick is a very poor host. The host makes a huge impact on the show. Nick is not a good host. It could be a holiday series. I am so disappointed it was cancelled.

Beth November 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Very sad to see The Sing Off go. One of our family favorites!!!

mary wright November 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I was SOOO hoping that after the VOICE ended this season, that the Sing-Off would begin.
I am really bummed to find out that it has been cancelled. Really will miss it.

Joann November 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Sorry to see The Sing Off go, I really enjoyed all the great talent of these very real singers. I totally was addicted to it & looked forward to it each week.

Dee November 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Bummer, I am really disappointed to hear this. It was a great show to watch with the family. We looked forward to it each week.

Jenny Harbin November 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Oh my God this was my favorite singing competition. What the heck. I am absolutely devastated. SING OFF FOR LIFE.

DAWN November 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

BOOOOOO NBC CANCLED THE WRONG SHOW…. I’M UPSET ABOUT THIS FIRST THEY CANCLED THANK GOD YOU’RE HERE(FUNNY SHOW) AND NOW THE SING OFF THAT SHOW WAS BETTER THAN THE VOICE BECAUSE THAT WAS REAL CREATIVE AND TALENT ….NBC WHAT ARE YALL DOING WE NEED SHOWS LIKE THESE.

Dwayne Cousins November 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Im completely curshed about this!!! ABC sound still run the show. Put it on fridays or even the weekend. Anytime is fine. Just as long as they dont cancel one of the BEST shows in television

Anonymous November 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

was the only talent competition worth watching because it actually showcased a wide variety of talent.

Miriam November 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

This was show that I actually didn’t get bored with all the “fluff” that other singing shows have, dragging out the end. Sing Off had incredible groups, with extremely talented judges that actually judged on music ability instead of just showmanship…. NBC could do much better leaving this show on…. a capella is growing wildly now. It was very well produced. Please rethink this.

KMCGiggles November 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I was very disheartened to hear that this show was cancelled. Out of all of the nationally televised talent competitions, I think that The Sing-Off was the best. The a capella groups showcase true talent in a medium that seems to be growing in popularity, especially in high schools in my area. Plus, the judges were PHENOMENAL. Unlike so many other talent shows, you knew from their feedback to the contestants that they knew what they were talking about. They would comment like other judges, saying things such as “That was off the hook!” or “Well done!” which makes the contestants smile and feel great, but then they would continue by giving them something useful to help them grow as a group. They, particularly Ben Folds, would educate them and point out specific things that impressed them or could be improved on. And the groups would improve because of that constructive feedback! It was such a pleasure to watch with my entire family, ranging in age from 6-38; We all enjoyed it and I didn’t have to worry about censoring anything for my little ones. It was extremely tasteful, which can’t be said for all (or ANY) of the other shows, and I am very saddened to learn that it won’t return.

Beth November 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm

So sad to see this show go! More talent than most shows on television put together. NBC needs to re-think this one.