The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Kasey December 15, 2012 at 2:09 am

I think they should have brought it back and kept it short-run in December… Great show leading up to Christmas… I’m sorry they cancelled it…

Kathy December 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

Bummer!! My husband and I really enjoyed this show. We also liked the fact that it was in December and finished right before Christmas. Please bring it back!

mema December 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I too was looking for the Sing Off this December and am very saddened it has been cancelled. What a great show and so different from the other shows. Acappella music. How can you get better than that. Its a huge disappointment. I guess I will have to turn the tv off this december or jump ship and go to another network.

Rhonda December 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I also loved this show, sad to see it not come on

vicky December 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I loved the Sing Off show and was expecting to get to see a new season. Then I find out that the show has been cancelled.I’m very disappointed. I would had rather you take the Voice off instead of the Sing Off. Bring it back on, please.

Rob December 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Best show NBC had on the air with The Voice a close second. Poor, poor decison in my opinion!!

Michael December 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I was just searching to find a premiere date for season 4 because I had no idea that the show had gotten the axe. The official site says that it is returning soon though, so perhaps there is hope!

Dave December 12, 2012 at 5:25 am

I was really hoping to watch the sing off again. all the groups they find are amazing! maybe 11 episodes was too much, but not for me. I still wish the would bring it back even if it was just for 1-3 weeks.

peggy quick December 12, 2012 at 12:27 am

i miss this show, so much talent to be shown

Leah December 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I’m sad that the Sing Off isn’t coming back. I will miss the show. I loved sitting there watching with my whole family. We don’t do that often with a lot of things. Before this show even started I didn’t know what acappella was until this show. I know NBC has the Voice and Americas Got Talent but I rarely watch the Voice and I’ve never seen Americas Got Talent. I hope NBC will bring it back, because I will miss watching it and all the kids showing off true talent… I probably just won’t watch NBC anymore and find other tv channels to watch…

Rick December 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I also am very disappointed, and actually shocked… My wife and I had several friends that woiuld watch it, and we even had people over on soime of the nights competitions to watch. I just realized that it’s December again, and wondering when it was going to start.
I know it’s a longshot, but still hoping for a miracle. maybe we’ll see it in the spring??
Our university has an accapella group that was actually on the show in season, and our performing arts center has hosted a regional singoff, including some that we’ve seen on the show, so it’s not that people aren’t into it… Just hoping it comes back….

shell December 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Wow so disappointed I just knew that the show was coming on. I really was just sitting around waiting for it to come on. I think that networks should start asking us first how would we feel if a show is about to be cancelled.

Larry December 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I think the decision is bad. We will miss the Sing-Off and will NOT watch the replacement. [That's our protest.]

Nessa December 10, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I too am very disappointed to hear they cancelled The Sing Off. I really found myself enjoying this show more so than any of the other music contests on the air. I have been looking back and forth waiting for something and found this to be a total shock. Oh well with cable now I don’t have to watch NBC. Others don’t have to either….

Riza December 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I was very much looking forward to it this season! I am very much disappointed.