The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won’;t be back for a fourth season?

Gail December 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

I kept hoping The Sing Off would show up on the schedule this year and have been disappointed to learn it won’t be back. The problem with TV today is that they have a successful program then FILL their schedule with it rather than giving us variety of programing. Please consider bringing back The Sing Off…if only for a limited run. It was a thoroughly enjoyable show!

Mike Gallion December 19, 2012 at 9:08 am

I am amazed what the contestants could do with just their voices. I was looking forward to this seasons shows. It was the only reality show I watched from beginning to end. Very dissapointed about it being canceled.

Melissa December 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

So disappointing. I look forward to the Sing-Off.

Karen December 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This was the only show that had class and showed the real talent of our young (and old) people. It was a great family show! My husband and I are very disappointed that it has been cancelled!!

Claire December 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Since stumbling across the sing off in 2009, I have always looked forward to the holiday season. I was thrilled when it was in for a full season last year. I am obsessed, and now vet sad to know its not coming back!!

Jeffrey Hicks December 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I don’t want to complain, but a show that took talent and displayed that to the American public is always worth watching. A show such as this inspires younger people everybody who inspires to do more with their life. I will miss it. Would like to see it come back and expand. Maybe a differnt hast would help.

Val December 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Very sorry to see the ‘Sing-off’ canceled….it was one our favorite shows, especially during the month of December. I think NBC made a mistake.

Joe December 17, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Very dissapointed! Bring the show back.

Eldon DeWeerth December 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Very disappointed st see that Sing Off 4 is canceled. Shame on NBC.
Our family really enjoyed it. Will you consider it again
next season?

Mary DeWeerth December 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I am so disappointed about Sing Off being canceled.
Our whole family enjoyed watching it together. I have looked forward to
Season 4 all year.
Consider another try next Dec. It is so enjoyable to watch in such a
busy season of the year.

Dom in Waco December 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I am extremely disappointed that NBC cancelled the Voice! It was one of the BEST singing shows on Television…smh…

Elizabeth December 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

Very very very displeased with this decision. This was the one singing show with raw and true talent! I loved it!

Angela acuncius December 16, 2012 at 9:36 am

Do disappointed. I loved this show as well as many of my coworkers. I wish they would have at least done a short run! NBC I don’t know why I always give you a chance. You cancel shows left and right. You never give them a chance! Please reconsider! This was something we could watch as a family.

Cybull December 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

This is all about ad sales, nothing more. Administration & stockholders want money. It’s that simple. (I often wonder what they watch…) Another issue is the general public isn’t really into anything that requires actual skill and talent. Case in point: rap. None actually sing; the rhythm is generally off-tempo; rarely is actual musical production involved–rather, it’s percussion for nasty dancin’ (dancing?); street value only. A capella requires huge skill and amazing “think-outside-the-box” artistry. Let’s just face it: the network execs & families don’t give a crap because it isn’t a show about how to make mo’ money. As well, the viewing public in this country essentially makes up an intellectual wasteland. Why would they renew it? …’course, NBC might have helped its chances had they sunk ten or twenty bucks into promoting it. Maybe if we use the “loud & often” method of the Occupy bunch, maybe they’d consider a clearance sale, dumping it on…oh…FX? …AMC? Sheesh, Leno’s monologue (approx 10 minutes) is about all I watch on NBC, other than The Voice. (I must admit, the Voice has had THEE best voices on TV this season! So I’m hooked on that one, too. But none were better than the least vocal talent/skill of Pentatonix!!) What a bunch o’ chumps……………….

Bonnie Nelson December 15, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I was very disappointed in the decision to cancel this show. I thought it was the most creative music and talent ever. Anyone with this talent should be heard. I am a fan.