The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Barbara E. January 4, 2013 at 7:54 am

I’m SOOOOOOO disappointed about The Sing Off being cancelled. It was one show I really looked forward to and I’ve been anxiously awaiting its return. They keep the junk on the air and cancel the decent shows. It was the best of the talent shows and deserves to be on the air. Please bring it back!!

Jacquie J. January 4, 2013 at 2:10 am

Wow. NBC has a show on called America’s Got Talent, yet they do not recognize real talent when hit over the head with it! The Sing Off was phenomenal and my family loved it. I rarely watch broad cast tv, but I made a point to search for this show every year. The other shows garner higher ratings because of the antics of the judges, not the so-called talent. These shows are just soap operas with often bad talent. Thumbs down NBC!!!!

Beth Mercer January 2, 2013 at 7:59 pm

The Sing Off was the BEST of all the vocal competition shows. It had such a positive vibe and as a music teacher I so appreciated the fact the contestants were truly talented AND valued everyone’s talent. PLEASE reconsider. My family loved this show and I could use it as a teaching tool in the classroom. NBC please listen to the public and bring this fun family show back!!!

Kathy Hurt January 2, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Good clean family fun! And you cancel? America’s Got Talent is all about the judges…what a waste! I’m sure you could find a time slot somewhere……well I know at least to STOP looking for it,thinking it was close because it’s time for Smash. Sad……

Roxann January 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I so agree with you. We need more clean tv for family and I felt the sing off brought that.

db December 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

Was waiting for it to show-up and since it wasn’t on this season, decided to track it down, only to find it cancelled. Bummer, one of the better singing shows around. How about putting on a dfferent day or time slot????

Cathy December 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Im watching the movie Pitch Perfect and it reminds me of how much I loved The SingOff. This was such an entertaining show Wish NBC would sponsor it again

Jane Carhart December 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm

They need to bring The Sing Off back. It was one of the best shows on tv. Real talent. So much better than the X Factor and better than Idol has been lately. Bring it back please and give it a good time slot with some advertising. I love the Voice, but miss The Sing Off and wish it were on again.

Andrew Hodge December 30, 2012 at 1:45 am

My children are constantly asking when the Sing Off will be back on. Now I have tell my children that their favorite series won’t be coming back on. The Sing Off was such a good show. It shows how talented some people are and inspires kids to purse their dreams in the musical business. BRING THE SING OFF BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi Cruz December 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm

So sad to hear it will not be coming back for season four. It was the best singing show out there. They didn’t hide their voices behind instuments. That’s talent!

Lanetta L. Roy December 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This was the best singing show of all the shows they have competing. I think they just needed more advertising. I would rather watch this than those silly people that compete on America Got talent or the people that can’t carry a tune in a bucket! Please bring it back and put it out there so people can know about it! We don’t have enough programs that have real music. If you can sing without instruments, then that is real singing. Please produce a season 4!!

Anonymous December 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

Now that I watched Pitch Perfect it made me miss the Sing Off even more! It was the best singing competition show on the air! The only other show I even watch some times is the voice, and that it only occasionally. I never missed the Sing Off! It was so much better than American Idol, X Factor, the Voice, etc. They’re all the same.

Roxann January 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

That movie is awesome thats what made me look up the sing off to see when it was coming on to find it’s not was very disappointing :(

Evy December 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I loved this show. They took it away. They suck.

Bobby December 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

11 episodes is too long don’t mess with a good thing.. Not to mention pentatinox boomed so why not see if the generated enough interests amoung viewers. I’ve been watching since episode one but I know people that are finally coming around to a Capella why close the gateway.

Chandra December 27, 2012 at 7:52 am

Cancelling the Sing Off was the dumbest thing NBC could have done. This was a great show, it was really nice to have something my whole family could watch. You really should bring it back and if not another network should pick up the show, NBC doesn’t deserve this show after cancelling it and another network could finish because of your stupidity.

Vicki C. December 27, 2012 at 4:19 am

Darn it…this is one show I hate to see go away. The groups were so talented, especially Pentatonix! However, all of the talent was exceptional! Loved it!