The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

David January 28, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I miss it. Our whole family really liked it

Virgil January 26, 2013 at 1:55 am

Maybe it got poor reviews, because the voting didn’t seem quite genuine when it came to certain groups. I loved the winners, but it seemed Vocal Point should not have gone home and Afro Blue had great tones.

It’s like the “sponsor” made some of the calls, be it directly, or by impression to the judges of what type of group they wanted…not who was the best. I guess it’s their show, but then don’t blame it on the viewers for not showing up when marketing just gets in the way of talent.

Don’t get me wrong. I wanted Pentatonix to go all the way. They could have had a better final with other groups. Someone didn’t know their audience.

Loris January 25, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I truly think they need to bring this show back.
The movie Pitch Perfect brought all the talent back to the stage and we need to see it back on television.
American Idol has run its course, bring back something fresh.

Debbie January 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

LOVED it…..disappointed to see it gone. It was certainly alot better than the trash that’s been on and fortunately cancelled….Should get another chance….thank you NBC once again for missing the boat on a good show….feel good shows are so needed.

Mike January 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

This was the best show in December the years it was playing. I really enjoyed the singing, the judges, and most of all, the smile it put on my face week after week. My parents are very straight laced and don’t like anything rated over “G” so when I turned them on to this show, they loved it! It was the one thing we could talk about week after week on the phone about how are favorites did. I hope they bring it back. Great family show that always brings a smile to your face. The groups were awesome!

melinda turner January 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

wow…. how disappointing, sad,frustrating,unbelievable…… I’ve been waiting almost a whole year … patiently….and AGAIN NBC disappoints me by getting rid of a show that actually has talent! Really?????????Bad move NBC and then you wonder why your station is failing? take the shows off that are crap and violent and put on some wholesome good value shows

chintzen January 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Super disappointed! It was the only singing competition I watched. I seem to like the shows that get cancelled: 4400, Jericho, Fringe… The Sing-Off. On the plus side: Dexter, Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Borgias are still going strong but are on subscription channels with NO commercials. Love it!

Diane January 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Can’t believe they are not bringing this show back!! It showcased some of the best singers out there and didn’t need any drama. With all the garbage tv is shoving down our throats and calling it reality tv. The Sing Off was by far the best singing show on the air…never could stand Idol and really couldn’t get into The Voice, they sound the same, but this show let real singing ability shine! I do watch AGT, but after a dog act winning this year despite the fact they had some great Vegas acts in contention, I may not waste my time this season.

Jen January 18, 2013 at 11:52 pm

With all the reality TV shows that are now on featuring every thing from drinking, drugs, sex etc this was one of very few that we could sit as a family and truly enjoy. Very sad that it was cancelled. Would be a great decision if you brought it back… We would surely watch because we loved it!!!

Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Bring it back..PLEASE!!!!

John January 18, 2013 at 1:25 am

i am very sad to see the sing off go, was my favorite show on tv, and there was no singing competition like it, nowhere else can america see raw vocal talent like that, too bad NBC, you really had something great, looks like i am stuck re watching all old episodes on you tube

marla January 18, 2013 at 12:09 am

I can’t BELIEVE this show isn’t coming back..best singing competition on tv…I wait for it every year and was wondering where it was…. BRING IT BACK!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Jennifer January 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm

LOVE the Sing Off! Bring it back, please!

C sib January 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm

The Sing-Off showcased some of the best musical talent. I will miss it!

Aaron January 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Loved it. Real talent. Did not have make up fake drama. Bring it back even in a very short version 4 episodes 16/8/4/Finale!