The Sing-Off: Winners Announced; Will It Be Back for Season Three?

The Sing-OffLast night, the winner of The Sing-Off was named on NBC. The group called Committed won the grand prize of $100,000 and a Sony Music recording contract. Now that season two’s over, will it be back for season three?

Last year, The Sing-Off debuted to mediocre numbers with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.89 million total viewers. That demo rating was about the same as what Heroes was getting at the time. The numbers went up and down from there for the limited run. It wasn’t very impressive but NBC decided to give it a second season anyway.

Quite often, that kind of faith doesn’t work out all that well for the networks and the next round gets the same or worse ratings. This time, things were different. Season two of The Sing-Off has averaged a 2.9 in the demo and 8.65 million viewers. This season, that makes it the second highest rated series on NBC, beating out both Outsourced and The Biggest Loser for that rank. Unfortunately for the network, it only lasted five episodes.

While NBC has not officially renewed the singing competition for season three yet, you can bet that the renewal is coming. Considering the network’s current state, it wouldn’t be surprising if they even tried to expand it to include more episodes per season or even do two cycles per season.

What do you think? Would you like to see the reality competition return for another round? Would you watch it more than once a year?

marilyn December 26, 2010 at 7:48 pm

BEST REALITY SHOW EVER. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

YVONNE December 26, 2010 at 9:07 am

I LOVE IT. BRING IT BACK

amy gerhart December 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I think the sing off should return for a third season i loved the show i watched it every monday And wendesday nights . I really loved the on the rocks group

Joanne Sgrignoli Boyd December 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm

This was the first season I watched “Sing Off” and I did as a distraction… or so I thought. I was enthralled by the talent and didn’t miss a show. I love music and this is music at its very best. I’ve been recommending it to everyone and so looking forward to the next season (it’s way too short, by the way)… and now I learn that it might be canceled? Please reconsider!

Hoodie December 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

The Sing Off is off the chain! Finally, groups that aren’t over produced, over dubbed or “enhanced” in any way. The human voice as musical instruments! What a concept! KEEP THE SHOW!!!!

sarahb December 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I have never been hooked by a show faster than this one. I couldn’t wait until the next episode. If you love music, this show will move you down to your toes. Please renew for next season! I’m also buying the CD’s of the top two winners as soon as they come out.

ratliff50 December 22, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Yes!! I loved it & would definitely watch it again. The singers have REAL talent & watching it is very enjoyable.

Mary Perifimos December 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The Sing-Off is one of the best entertainment programs on television. Please continue with this innovative show.

Gail December 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Loved this show and the talent was amazing. I missed it the first season, but since watching it this season, will definitely watch if and I hope it does return.

Jaime December 22, 2010 at 11:44 am

Just wish the season was longer. Beautiful songs, talented groups.

Edward December 22, 2010 at 8:01 am

Please renew it this is real singing not made better by the audio tech. This does my heart and soul good to her the real thing keep up the good work.

Nancy December 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I absolutely LOVE this show! It is REAL entertainment not
contrived stuff that there is so much of now days. I’m hoping to
see a renewal of the show and I would watch it as a longer series
and more than once a season!

Oscar December 21, 2010 at 7:18 pm

It was great… Truly talented groups and the songs were so
much fun to listen to…. just wish the season was longer!

conradap December 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm

The only reason the show did so well was because ALL of the groups can SANG! The first season, there was really only one group that emerged from the beginning and stayed there. This season was magic with all the talent on stage. Don’t know if Glee! helped with the image of a singing group, but it didn’t hurt. It was also a breath of fresh air to watch talented groups perform as opposed to just individuals. Season 2 definitely set the bar for Season 3. Can’t Wait!

Jeremy Rynek December 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm