The Sing-Off: Winners Announced; Will It Be Back for Season Three?

The Sing-OffLast night, the winner of The Sing-Off was named on NBC. The group called Committed won the grand prize of $100,000 and a Sony Music recording contract. Now that season two’s over, will it be back for season three?

Last year, The Sing-Off debuted to mediocre numbers with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.89 million total viewers. That demo rating was about the same as what Heroes was getting at the time. The numbers went up and down from there for the limited run. It wasn’t very impressive but NBC decided to give it a second season anyway.

Quite often, that kind of faith doesn’t work out all that well for the networks and the next round gets the same or worse ratings. This time, things were different. Season two of The Sing-Off has averaged a 2.9 in the demo and 8.65 million viewers. This season, that makes it the second highest rated series on NBC, beating out both Outsourced and The Biggest Loser for that rank. Unfortunately for the network, it only lasted five episodes.

While NBC has not officially renewed the singing competition for season three yet, you can bet that the renewal is coming. Considering the network’s current state, it wouldn’t be surprising if they even tried to expand it to include more episodes per season or even do two cycles per season.

What do you think? Would you like to see the reality competition return for another round? Would you watch it more than once a year?

Canceled and renewed TV show

32 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Joanne Sgrignoli Boyd says

This was the first season I watched “Sing Off” and I did as a distraction… or so I thought. I was enthralled by the talent and didn’t miss a show. I love music and this is music at its very best. I’ve been recommending it to everyone and so looking forward to the next season (it’s way too short, by the way)… and now I learn that it might be canceled? Please reconsider!

2. Hoodie says

The Sing Off is off the chain! Finally, groups that aren’t over produced, over dubbed or “enhanced” in any way. The human voice as musical instruments! What a concept! KEEP THE SHOW!!!!

3. sarahb says

I have never been hooked by a show faster than this one. I couldn’t wait until the next episode. If you love music, this show will move you down to your toes. Please renew for next season! I’m also buying the CD’s of the top two winners as soon as they come out.

4. ratliff50 says

Yes!! I loved it & would definitely watch it again. The singers have REAL talent & watching it is very enjoyable.

5. Mary Perifimos says

The Sing-Off is one of the best entertainment programs on television. Please continue with this innovative show.

6. Gail says

Loved this show and the talent was amazing. I missed it the first season, but since watching it this season, will definitely watch if and I hope it does return.

7. Edward says

Please renew it this is real singing not made better by the audio tech. This does my heart and soul good to her the real thing keep up the good work.

8. Nancy says

I absolutely LOVE this show! It is REAL entertainment not
    contrived stuff that there is so much of now days. I’m hoping to
    see a renewal of the show and I would watch it as a longer series
    and more than once a season!

9. Oscar says

It was great… Truly talented groups and the songs were so
    much fun to listen to…. just wish the season was longer!

10. conradap says

The only reason the show did so well was because ALL of the groups can SANG! The first season, there was really only one group that emerged from the beginning and stayed there. This season was magic with all the talent on stage. Don’t know if Glee! helped with the image of a singing group, but it didn’t hurt. It was also a breath of fresh air to watch talented groups perform as opposed to just individuals. Season 2 definitely set the bar for Season 3. Can’t Wait!