The Sing-Off: NBC Contest Returning for Season Two

The Sing-OffDespite achieving mediocre ratings during the show’s first season, NBC has decided to give The Sing-Off another try.

A competition for a cappella groups, The Sing-Off ran as a four episode special event in December. It began with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.89 million viewers. The ratings dropped after that but then bumped back up to a 2.3 rating and a viewership high of 7.28 million viewers for the season finale.

Considering NBC’s current state, those numbers are good enough to bring the show back for another round. It surely doesn’t hurt that the series is relatively inexpensive to produce.

Viewers shouldn’t try to set their DVRs just yet though. NBC’s executive VP of alternative programming, Paul Telegdy, told TheWrap, “We’ll be bringing Sing-Off back. We don’t know when. But we believe we’ve found a little gem, one we can buff up and make better.”

What do you think? Are you glad to hear the show’s coming back? Is it better or worse than other reality competitions? Should it come back as a regular series or another special event?

UPDATE: It’s been confirmed that the show will return for the 2010-11 season with an eight episode competition.

Linda September 10, 2010 at 6:35 am

I’d love to see “the Sing Off” come back. How about have college choirs compete this time?

Cha September 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAY! I’m so happy they’re bringing back this show. Showmanship and singing skills are a plenty in this. Can’t wait for the 2nd season!

Carole September 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Am very glad this competition is returning. My family watched faithfully. This competition showcases true talent and is the only reality show we watched.

The Paulsons September 1, 2010 at 8:35 pm

We thought this show was entirely entertaining and featured performers who were actually talented. Our whole family watched faithfully each night and told all of our friends about it. We can’t wait for season 2!

lynbird August 31, 2010 at 10:21 pm

The best part of this show? Ben Folds. Love that man.

Betty August 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Loved it. Can’t wait for season two.

David August 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Season 1 was truely an inspiration to me. I am a music educator, and work with kids who aspire to achieve the type excellence that these produced. It has proven to be invaluble in my classroom as well as my heart. Please NBC give this genre a regular spot in your line up, it really didn’t have a chance to catch on before it was over.

Jon August 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I’m glad they’re bringing it back. Hopefully it’ll be right around the same time frame as the first season. When I watch it, right at christmas time it reminded me of the old Christmas specials that I loved to watch. It’s a great way to keep people entertained and happy during the holiday season.

Chad August 6, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Yes, it’s a great show having been a part of it. Definitely should have more seasons! A capella for life!

Meagan July 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I’m thrilled to hear it is coming back! Quality music and analysis!

Jeanette Scott July 13, 2010 at 6:36 pm

We REALLY enjoyed Sing Off last year. Is there a chance to be in the studio audience?

Justan July 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm

This is such an underserved musical genre in my opinion. Thank you for bringing this back, NBC!!! I can’t get enough of the incredible talent that these groups display.

Andrea July 11, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I am thrilled that NBC Sing-Off is returning ~ I was absolutely glued to my seat in 2009. Hurry, hurry bring it back – make it a regular series.

Crystal July 11, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’m excited to see it come back!

LMC13 July 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

OMG! I’m so excited!!! I really enjoyed season 1 and cant wait for season 2!!!! Yay!