The Starter Wife: USA TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

The Starter WifeFollowing a successful mini-series, USA Network assumed that viewers would want to watch a weekly version of The Starter Wife. After 10 episodes, it seems the numbers weren’t big enough and the TV show’s been cancelled.

The Starter Wife mini-series stars Debra Messing as Molly Kagan, a Hollywood wife/mother who has it all. Her life is turned upside down when her studio exec husband, Kenny (Peter Jacobson, later David Alan Basche), dumps her for a young starlet. Within hours, Molly’s social circle discards her and all that she knows is in turmoil. She slowly rebuilds her life and, by the time the TV show begins, Molly’s on her way to thriving. Castmembers include Judy Davis, Chris Diamantopoulos, Joe Mantegna, Stephen Moyer, Anika Noni Rose, Novella Nelson, Aden Young, Bethany Whitmore, Miranda Otto, Trilby Glover, Hailee Denham, Gigi Edgley, Hart Bochner, Danielle Nicolet, Reggie Austin, James Black, Brielle Barbusca, and Daniel Gerroll.

The mini-series of Starter Wife kicked off on May 31, 2007 and ran for six installments. The premiere attracted 5.4 million viewers with over half of those being in the coveted 18-49 demographic. Based on the numbers, USA announced plans to make Starter Wife a regular series. Unfortunately, the October 2007 announcement coincided with the writers strike and nothing happened for several months.

Should The Starter Wife have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That delay may have been particularly costly for any momentum the show could have had. The Starter Wife TV show debuted a year later, on October 10, 2008. The viewership was much less smaller. Though the show’s season average of 2.4 million is impressive for a cable audience, USA’s other series have been attracting more than double that number.

Despite Messing’s being featured in USA’s current “Characters Welcome” campaign, the network has opted not to renew Starter Wife for a second season.

A statement from USA reads, “The Starter Wife was an award-winning, critical and creative success. We were thrilled with its performance as a miniseries, expanded and enriched it through an additional 10 episodes and reached what we all feel is a satisfying conclusion.”

Unfortunately, viewers may not agree. How will their new life in San Francisco affect Devon and Liz? What will happen to Joan and her troubles with the law? Is there any hope for Molly and Zach’s relationship? We’ll likely never know.

Anonymous November 28, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Hello Network.

What can I say, so many qualtity shows are lost to reality shows and sexual explicit shows, that are so unhealthy for our children and nation as a whole, but, again, it takes money to pay the actors and without sponsorship they would not be happy either. I reget that the show has been cancelled, hopefully, White Collar, which is another great show, and Royals Pains, and Burn notice will make the cut, but, I have to say, USA, worked on your line up over the last year or so, my DVR is always set to USA. You are moving in the right direction, maybe Ms. Messings ( I love her) can move to one of those shows, she’s a great actress. Would love to see her in another show.

teammom November 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm

please bring it back. I was introducing my friends to it & THEY ALL LOVED IT.

marne jameson November 20, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Hey USA,
Bring Starter Wife back into production >2 million cable viewers is mighty impressive.

marne jameson November 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm

91% (according to the poll on this website tvseriesfinale.com) indicated The Starter Wife should NOT HAVE BEEN canceled. This was the only program beside Monk that I looked forward to in 2008. It made women over 39 feel good about themselves AND SEXY.

Cassie November 17, 2009 at 7:40 am

This show should be sold to CABLE…HBO…Where are you????

Cassie November 17, 2009 at 7:39 am

That sucks! Debra you rocked it!

Mad as HELL November 12, 2009 at 7:28 pm

You know its a shame when the networks gets us hooked on a show then cancel it with no warning. This is some bullshit. I don’t buy the bogus reason as to why Molly and the crew are not coming back. Yet we get inundated with these bull**** reality shows. Does anyone out here know anybody who really lives like these people. Do we really care who the hell gets off the island. I know I don’t.

Ang November 11, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I am with the majority! I am really upset that ‘Starter Wife” is not going to be on this season and that it is cancelled. This was one show that I did enjoy watching and boo to the decision makers of that call!

Suffering November 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm

This is so unfair. You have us bond with the characters, feel like they are our friends, then leave us hanging with no closure. NOT HAPPY!

Anonymous November 8, 2009 at 12:33 am

I don’t think there is any rational reason for canceling Starter Wife. It was a great show and I’m very disappointed it was canceled.

Anonymous November 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE THE STARTER WIFE! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

Anonymous November 2, 2009 at 7:47 am

I agree… I really enjoyed this show. please bring it back!

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I loved this show! Please bring it back

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 2:30 am

They need to come back!!! It was a really good show! I like this better than all the copy-cat “reality” shows! And I am so tired of shows that include at least 3 judges (one with an accent), a chance, shot, or double take at love!! This was a good project that only needs more nurturing. I hope USA Network gives it another go…

D1967 October 27, 2009 at 3:39 pm