The Starter Wife

The Starter WifeNetwork: USA
Episodes: 10 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 10, 2008 — December 12, 2008
Series status: Cancelled/ended

Performers include: Debra Messing, Judy Davis, Hart Bochner, Chris Diamantopoulos, David Alan Basche, Danielle Nicolet, Reggie Austin, Brielle Barbusca, Daniel Gerroll, James Black, Ronny Cox, Krista Allen, Suzanne Cryer, Bar Paly, James Urbaniak, Rhea Seehorn, Bonita Friedericy, David Shatraw, Jonathan Goldstein, James Sie, Howard Mann, and Vincent Ward.

the starter wife past TV show

TV show description:
Molly Kagan (Debra Messing) was just where she wanted to be in life. She and her Hollywood movie executive husband, Kenny (David Alan Basche), lived in a gorgeous mansion with their beautiful six-year-old daughter Jaden (Brielle Barbusca). The Kagans’ luxurious lifestyle in Brentwood is what Hollywood scripts are made of.

But life for Molly suddenly became a nightmare when Kenny tells her that, after 10 years of marriage and just before their pre-nuptial agreement expires, he’s leaving her for a 21-year-old pop star. Life as Molly Kagan knew it was over. When friends got wind of their breakup, Molly became a social outcast to almost all of them. Both her closest friend, recovering alcoholic Joan McCallister (Judy Davis), and gay decorator Rodney (Chris Diamantopoulou) make sure this starter wife re-starts her life.

Picking up where the mini-series left off, this drama finds Molly divorced, without a cushy settlement, her children’s book selling poorly, and struggling to find her voice as a writer and a source of income. She takes a writing class and makes a connection with the instructor, Zach McNeal, a single father. She also becomes friends with Liz Marsh (Danielle Nicolet), a wife whose jealousy threatens her marriage to a major league baseball player.

Originally based on a novel by Gigi Levangie Grazer, this series details Molly’s life post-divorce as she discovers those who truly love her for who she is instead of what she has.

Canceled and renewed TV show

20 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Bob says

This show isn’t just for women. I enjoyed Molly’s escapades too. I hope she finds her way back.

2. Susan says

I LOVED The Starter Wife and really hope it is brought back. Help me petition and ask USA, Lifetime and other networks to bring back this great show!

3. Shelly Platz says

I think they went in the wrong direction in the 2nd season. If it had been more like the 1st i think it would have done better. I would love to see the show continue if it went back to the way it was the 1st season. I didnt care for the dressing up and narration of private and things like that.

I loved the 1st season and getting to know the characters! That was great!

4. Tricia says

The Starter Wife was an excellent miniseries and I was very happy when it got picked up to become a tv series. Just when the characters were coming into their own, USA decides to pull the plug. Honestly, I believe it was on the wrong network. It should have been on primetime either on ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX. – ABC, give it a chance, you’re the perfect network for this show and I can bet it’ll be a hit for you!!

5. Krista says

Molly became our friend. Although she was older than myself, I really related to her and what she went through. I cannot believe this funny, charming and brilliant show will not be back! Please DO NOT CANCEL!

6. Amore says

Please bring back this show, a sweet show for women!! I’m tired of the executives making the decisions…let the public vote!!

7. Amie says

I hate that so many stupid shows are on the air and then you get a really good one and then some stupid excutive cancels it!!!! I love this show and have bought both the mini series and the 1st season. Please reconsider canceling The Starter Wife..

8. says

I can’t believe that you are going to cancel this show. I really thought I had heard wrong, WHY WHY WHY??? This really was one of my favorite shows, I am so angry that you did this. SHAME ON YOU. No room left for quality TV I guess. Just give us more junk instead.

9. says

DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW….. IT’s oneof the best made shows on tv right now, High quality filming, sets, acting, storylines, just an all around well made program. SO now that we are all hooked, let’s cancel it right, Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is USA owned by NBC or something? high quality + SHow Fans= Cancelled… I don’t who is teaching broadcasting these days but this is not the right formula..

10. Vicki says

Please bring this show back. It actually put the USA network on the creditability map with cable networks. It has great writing, great actors and women love to watch this. USA will now be something you scroll past again.

11. Bethany says

Hey, they just keep taking more and more shows that are actually worth watching away from us. In this world of constant disasters, and financial woes, we need shows like this on the air to keep us smiling. Where is the petition to keep this show on the air???

12. Mary Lou says

Please re-consider cancelling the Starter Wife, it is a really good show that i looked forward to watching everyday. There are enough stupid shows, please keep this good one.

13. cheryl says

Please reconsider the strter wife. it is funny, sweet and inspiring for women. what would you replace this with i? enough idiot reality shows.