The Strain: Season One Ratings

The Strain TV show on FXLike the characters on The Strain, TV shows have to fight for their survival. Will this new FX series be a success in the ratings and survive? Will it live to see a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned to find out.

On The Strain, a team of disease control experts are called in to investigate when a plane lands in New York with 200 corpses on board. They soon discover that a viral outbreak has begun that could overtake humanity. The large cast includes Corey Stoll, David Bradley, Kevin Durand, Mía Maestro, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Miguel Gomez, Natalie Brown, Jack Kesy, Sean Astin, and Robert Maillet.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

8/19 update: The Strain has been renewed for a second season by FX.

Final season averages: 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.21 million total viewers.

Cable ratings are typically released within a day or so of the show’s airing, except for in the case of weekends and holidays. They are sometimes harder to locate so there may be occasional delays or gaps.

What do you think? Do you like The Strain TV show? Do you think that it should be renewed for a second season?

Tony September 14, 2014 at 6:23 pm

It’s amazing how some people complain about the realism of the show when it’s about vampires. I have read the books and I too did not like the acting in the first episode but it is what it is and has grown on me. Some complain about how the vampires are depicted but again, it’s fiction people and i like to see a different perspective on things as long as it’s not completely stupid like glittery vampires. The master vampire does looks like a ridiculous muppet. I think the show is good but definitely has room for improvement so I’ll continue to watch it for what it is with the hope that it’ll get better.

Déracinée September 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Has anyone read the books?
I have and enjoyed them. I’m enjoying the show too! I’m looking forward to the second season.

Let's get it August 31, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Awesome show !! Way better than stupid ass walking dead

Rick September 2, 2014 at 6:48 am

Walking Dead is fanastic!However, to a fuckng moron like you it would not be!

ron214 August 25, 2014 at 1:42 pm

This is a terrible show. I thought it had the makings of a first rate thriller then it went straight down hill. The writing is absolutely juvenile and formulaic. The single most idiotic plot line is how there is this major contamination and the bosses refuse to allow the head investigator to do his job and they seemingly IGNORE the dangers. This is a terrible, terrible, terrible show and waste of time.

Brian September 1, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I completely agree, but I think the problem is bigger than that. The first few shows were fine, but I can’t stand the global lack of interest in what’s going on anymore. Hundreds of people mysteriously die on a plane, they release the survivors after a cursory check and life goes on. I was actually willing to suspend disbelief at that point. But now we have monsters and vampires tearing up subways, wreaking havoc in nursing homes, etc. Any of these events would have been instagrammed and twittered around the world in a flash. Yet despite the unbelievable amount of unprecedented, end of world calamities happening on a daily basis, nobody seems to care except for the tiny band of vampire warriors. What are the other six billion people thinking??? Just too stupid.

sak September 8, 2014 at 1:15 am

err, the writing is fine, there is a lot worse writing in much better shows. That “single most idiotic plotline” may just be a symptom of your frustration. Have you ever thought there may be a REASON why the bosses are refusing to allow the head investigator to do his job and pretend nothing is a big deal? Something to do with a really rich guy in league with the vampires? No lightbulbs?

Kathy Taff August 25, 2014 at 10:01 am

I love this show. It is very well done and holds my interest every Sunday. So happy it has been renewed. Thank you FX !!!

Tammy August 18, 2014 at 2:20 am

I like the show. Of all the hundreds of shows on tv, roku, whatever, there is one I actually like and like to follow. Its not bizarre as in vamps from fairy lands or different realms. It doesn’t have town orgies once per show. It is followable for those of us that like a storyline to follow… I really like the show and I do hope it gets a second season plus, I don’t have to have top of the line special effects to make a show and I don’t care for all the sex these days either…. I like it…

k99rky August 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I like these sort of shows. I like to be transferred into another world,but I just can’t believe that there was one doctor doing the autopsy’s of 207 people,even after that he was left alone with all the bodies for 24hrs.true blood it isn’t.

ykr99k August 13, 2014 at 10:14 pm

“true blood it isn’t.”
I am glad for that. I have no desire to watch a show that about pushing ghey rights and bashing anyone is not a Liberal.

Paul Morrison August 4, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I love this show! It’s a different take on vampires. I watched the first show and I got hooked.
The next two shows were better than the first. I find this show very interesting and exciting.
The comments I’ve read are all negative. These people are either knuckleheads or they just like to be negative.

Jim J. July 27, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I heard from Deadline.com that Carlton Cuse and Guillermo del Toro have already stated that they do not want the “The Strain” TV series to go past five seasons. It is said that “The books have enough juice to fill three to five seasons of the series, and that he (del Toro) would like to helm as many episodes as his feature schedule allows.” So the “Strain” TV series would have a limited original run, like ABC’s “Lost” (which ran six seasons).

CW July 27, 2014 at 10:43 pm

If this is true, then I can respect that decision. It’s better to watch a show with a short span, than something strung along, with stories pulled right out of someone’s arse!!!

Chuck Lewis July 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

There has to be a certain amount of suspension of belief in watching any program but, this…this is strains credulity.

Jennifer July 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I agree completely, Chuck. I am more than willing to suspend belief for just about any show. I have even been known to enjoy some vampire movies/shows in the past but this takes the cake.

I’ll admit I didn’t read the series this was based on but I did read over the wiki page for it after suffering through the first episode. I can’t help but think this is a comedy, a parody. This is the “Blazing Saddles” of the vampire genre. Only thing is, “Blazing Saddles” was awesome. This, there are no words. No amount of suspended belief can make this even remotely good.

I’m still in disbelief that this is on FX and not SyFy. This would absolutely fit in perfect with Sharknado. Vampires who constantly defecate while eating, eat through suckers and blink their eyes like “Men in Black” aliens? No thank you, FX. After two episodes, I’ve seen MORE than enough!

Watcher July 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I totally agree with you and Chuck, though the phrase is suspend your disbelief. But I understand your points.

Why Watch. July 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Vampires, not scary. Ebola, that is scary. And it would’ve been timely with what is happening in the world today.

CW July 20, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I thought the 1st episode was pretty interesting. Kind of a different take on vampires, which I can appreciate. Hopefully the show will continue till its end, just hope it doesn’t follow the books completely.

Jul July 18, 2014 at 10:16 pm

This is based on Guillermo del Toro vampire novel The Strain so vampires were kinda implied.

Donna July 18, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I was disappointed in this because it resembles another zombie-type movie. I wish it was more like “Contagion” or “Outbreak”. The only Dracula I will watch is with Jonathan Ryss Meyers but unfortunately that was cancelled. I don’t care to watch any more zombie or vampire shows so I probably will not continue with it.

foolproof July 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

I was expecting a good show.

Vampires.